Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
addepalli1
addepalli1 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS 500, Kindle DX
Converting Scientific/Journal Papers

This question might have been asked and answered. But i could not find any similar.

Is there a conversion process in calibre to convert scientific papers to read on KINDLEDX. Most of these publications are in 2 colum format, when i convert the pdf document using calibre from PDF to MOBI, the outfile contains text from both colums concatenated together.

Any suggestions.

Thnks in advance
addepalli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
WereVince
WereVince began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hi,
I have the same problem, but for a sony reader. In fact, the prs600 does pretty good with pdfs, even with two columns. increasing font size does a reformating that is not pretty but readable, and the columns are not mixed. The problem is just when there are figures that take the entire width of the page. Then there is no possibility for larger font.
The solution I have found is to abandon pdfs in this case: if the journals you are reading have a web site, they often also offer html version of the paper, and this is quite easy to transform into epub. And they look perfect this way.
I am currently fighting with the "recipe" features of calibre (and my ignorance of python) to have it upload automatically my favorite journals directly in the format I want.
Hope this helps,
V
WereVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert