Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Luiztfc
Luiztfc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
How well does Kindle 2 handle PDF?

Hello,

I live in Brazil and because of Amazon's recent adition (International Kindle 2), I have been considering the Kindle 2. The problem is that I'd use it a LOT to read pdf documents for college. How well does it handle it? I've read the mobileread wiki and I was happy to see that Amazon does not charge you for converting (if you transfer it via usb). Does Calibre convert well?

Another thing, if I buy an ebook from Amazon Store, can I transfer it to my computer?

The other option I had in mind was the Sony PRS-600, but the glare issue is kinda preventing me from buying it. And the Kindle 2 is a beautiful device.

Regards,
Luiz
Luiztfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Amazon conversion process started out using code very similar to Windows MobiPocket Reader's PDF to MOBI capability. So try that out on a few PDFs. If you read them using the MobiPocket Reader in a 600x800 window that will be similar to how they look on the K2 (although the K2's 600x800 screen is probably much smaller than your PCs window). The latest Amazon conversion has been improved a bit and is now sometimes better than the Windows MobiPocket Reader's conversion, but they are the same for most PDFs. Text-heavy PDFs that started out as word processor documents work well, other PDFs are hit and miss.

Most Kindle ebooks are AZWs, which are just MOBIs, and these can be read on your PC if you strip any DRM (encryption) using mobidedrm.py. A small fraction of Kindle ebooks are TOPAZ, and this is a Kindle-specific format not readable on any other device except a iPhone or iPod Touch.

The Sony ebook library software (Windows or Mac) can show you how PDFs will work on the PRS-600, although the PC software does not include a landscape mode.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kindle 2 doesn't read PDF at all. You can convert them to Mobi format, but the conversion will depend on the PDF. Text based PDF's a lot of times convert OK, but PDF's with a lot of graphics can be tough. I haven't used Calibre or Amazon to convert a PDF so can't comment on how well they work. I've had decent luck using either Mobipocket Creator or by saving the PDF as HTML from Acrobat Pro and using Book Designer.

Yep, Amazon books can be downloaded to your computer and/or copied off the Kindle to your computer.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Luiztfc

Thanks guys!

I will convert some of the PDF's I normally use to see how well it would be on Kindle. And I'm downloading the Sony software to preview the PDFs.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Luiztfc

Just to feedback you guys, I converted some documents to Mobi and I wasn`t satisfied with the results. Based on that, I ended up chosing the PRS-600.

Thanks for the help, anyway.
Advert