Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 09-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
GP2X: new linux based portable everything!

[from boingboing]

There is a new mobile device from the manufacturers of the GP32 (yah I hadn't heard of it either). This is the GP2X, a linux-based portable game console, music and video player, ebook reader, and more. It's firmware is completely open, allowing you to change it to your heart's content. It comes out of the box playing mp3s, Divx, avi, and lots more. The screen is 320 x 240, it's powered by twin 200 MHz processors, carries 64 meg internal RAM and one SD card slot. You get the idea.

Because the firmware is open linux, you can run anything that you can run on linux, including nearly every old emulator. You can add a keyboard and add text handling. Wouldn't take much to add some linux PIM applications and turn it into a PDA (though I do not think that the screen is a touch screen). I didn't see any information on wifi or bluetooth, so perhaps they are not available?

It's cheap: £130 or about US$225. I would love to hear the experiences of anyone who has seen the earlier model.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I saw the spec's yesterday, and it looks like a great alternative to something like the PSP. I like the open-source possibilities with regards to turning it into a PDA-lite, but I really like my PDA's to have a touch screen. That, and I'm not certain that the open-source community (working on these things as a hobby, and not a job) would be able to provide a great "HotSync" app to get the PIM info. to-and-from the computer (especially the Mac OS.)

But, if I was looking for an open alternative to the PSP, I'd definitely check this baby out.
POL9A
Advert
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I should also add that one of the other promoted features of this device is that it can connect to your tv like a console and play games or movies there in full screen resolution. Pretty cool.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I should also add that one of the other promoted features of this device is that it can connect to your tv like a console and play games or movies there in full screen resolution. Pretty cool.

I thought I'd read this in the website, but I couldn't confirm it to put it in the previous post. Very nifty feature.
POL9A
Old 09-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Any idea what these "twin 200 MHz processors" mean in terms of speed?
Advert