Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Overdrive ebook loans & Cybook Gen3

Can anyone confirm whether the Cybook will really work with the Overdrive Mobipocket ebook loans that are offered through public libraries? I know that a software "fix" in the form of a Mobipocket 6 beta was posted previously but that thread appears to have died without a confirmed resolution.

It should be possible, even without a clock, as the eAudiobook loans work on mp3 players that don't have onboard clocks (they just continue to work until the next time that the device is synched, whether that be one day or 100 days after they've "expired"). The eAudiobooks use PlaysForSure technology to do the initial validation; there's no reason that Mobipocket can't use the PID to do the initial validation. Yes, it would probably mean that ebooks would have to be transferred using the Mobipocket software, not drag-&-drop, but that's a very minor inconvenience.

If Cybook still doesn't work for Overdrive ebook loans, that pretty much shoots down one of my few lingering reasons to go with a Cybook over a Sony Reader. I'm afraid that I put very little stock in promises/vague statements regarding "future" capabilities; I'm only reassured by what's actually confirmed to work now.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I know, the Gen3 does not have a clock. So when you turn it off, it loses the time and you'll then need to sync it again to ge the time/date back. According to HarryT, the Gen3 should last about 4-5 days without being turned off. And the time/date will be kept while the unit is not turned off. So, if you have a library ebook and can read it in the time it takes for the battery to go flat or you don't mind syncing to the computer every so often, then it will work. But if these stop-gap measures are not for you, then there really is nothing you can do. So yes it will work, but not perfectly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Presumably, it would also work to just plug the Cybook in and "top up" the charge before it ran down completely?

At any rate, since this will at least sort of work, while it's a given that neither the Mobipocket nor the Adobe files from Overdrive will work with the Sony Reader at all, it's enough to finally push me into going with the Cybook. I've ordered the Cybook Deluxe through Bookeen as of a few minutes ago (since the NAEB offering is apparently still in limbo) - let the countdown begin.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We don't know for sure the PDF files from Overdrive will not work. If the 505 gets Digital Editions, it's possible they might work. And if they do work, they will work properly.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
dcalder
Zealot

As of right now, Overdrive is advising everyone not to upgrade to Acrobat 8 and Adobe Digital Editions because they don't support transfer to PDAs or Named Activation for use of files on multiple computers. So, based on that, I'd say that Adobe has some work yet to do before it would even be possible to make the files work on the Sony Reader (or, for that matter, any other reader), regardless of Sony's plans.

Err, and I think it's a given that the current PDF files from Overdrive won't work, as I was under the impression that the Sony Reader only handled non-DRMed PDFs and the Overdrive ones are quite definitely DRMed.

It might actually be more productive for interested parties to contact Overdrive and discuss the Mobipocket time issue on Cybook with them. I don't see any reason why they can't use the same system with eBooks as with eAudiobooks and just let the Overdrive Media Console expire the files when the device is next connected after the expiration date. It's not like my little iRiver mp3 player has an onboard clock, after all; the eAudiobooks that I've loaded on it will play successfully even after changing the battery, let alone being turned off. They only stop working after I sync it again (and then only if they've expired).

Last edited by dcalder; 12-08-2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to address a point.
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
Presumably, it would also work to just plug the Cybook in and "top up" the charge before it ran down completely?
Yes, absolutely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
new cybooks should have the date fix that will allow it to work with overdrive mobipocket books from the library. If you have one of the first gen3 to come out you will have to get an update.

Tom
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmoon View Post
new cybooks should have the date fix that will allow it to work with overdrive mobipocket books from the library. If you have one of the first gen3 to come out you will have to get an update.

Tom
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the "fix" had been made to v6.1 of the Mobi Desktop Reader, to make it sync the Gen3's clock to that of the PC. There's been no update issued to the Gen3 itself that I'm aware of.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
To change the subject entirely, Overdrive works with the Iliad.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Pickle
Enthusiast
Pickle began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the "fix" had been made to v6.1 of the Mobi Desktop Reader, to make it sync the Gen3's clock to that of the PC. There's been no update issued to the Gen3 itself that I'm aware of.
I think one of the threads said that even with the 6.1 fix, the Cybook clock gets reset to January 2007 when it is turned off. I haven't installed 6.1 to check yet though.
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
I think one of the threads said that even with the 6.1 fix, the Cybook clock gets reset to January 2007 when it is turned off. I haven't installed 6.1 to check yet though.
Yes - IF it's turned off. The machine doesn't have a clock chip in it. You have to keep it switched on (in which case you'll need to recharge every 4-5 days), or sync with the desktop reader whenever you turn it on, should you wish to keep the clock right.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes - IF it's turned off. The machine doesn't have a clock chip in it. You have to keep it switched on (in which case you'll need to recharge every 4-5 days), or sync with the desktop reader whenever you turn it on, should you wish to keep the clock right.
I agree that this seems to be what happens, but why can't the Cybook save the time when it is turned off and restore it when switched back on. It would "loose" the time it was turned off, but that would be in favor of the reader of the library e-book.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I am really surprised there is not a clock chip inside the Gen3. A simple cost savings is causing a problem where that problem doesn't need to exist.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Pickle
Enthusiast
Pickle began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I agree that this seems to be what happens, but why can't the Cybook save the time when it is turned off and restore it when switched back on. It would "loose" the time it was turned off, but that would be in favor of the reader of the library e-book.
I had a computer that did that once. I think the BIOS battery was dead.
Anyway, I'm with you. That's probably the best way of keeping track of time on the Cybook. Especially since there's no way to see what time the Cybook thinks it is, so it's not like you'll be using it as a clock anyway.
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am really surprised there is not a clock chip inside the Gen3. A simple cost savings is causing a problem where that problem doesn't need to exist.
I think the surprise is that you need to know the time to be able to read a book. That is not the first thing that occur to you when you design an ebook reader. There is an advantage to have a simple design without a clock for there is less things that can break and you avoid the trouble with a special battery in the unit to power the clock circuits.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote