Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Urs
Urs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony PRS-505 freeze after USB cable diconnect

Hello reader friends,

Allow me to send you my first post and a big hello to everyone here at the MobileRead Forums. I would like to ask you a question about the Sony PRS-505 Reader?

I have got the reader a couple days ago and I'm quite happy using it. Until recently I have used a XDA II PDA with the Haali Reader which was very practical, but the screen size was always a draw back, but generally it was ok.

My question is based on the transfer of books from the PC to the Reader. I have done it a couple times and it worked alright for a while; Unfortunately the reader is now freezing up after the cable is disconnected.

The reader is also not recognized any more with the Sony Book Software (shows Error). I can transfer books with Calibre and it works alright, (it sees the readers memory) but I soon as I unplug the reader it freeze up and only a reset will to the trick.

The battery is fully charged up and the reader is normally disconnected via the icon (I'm using XP). PS: The reader works perfect when it is unplugged.

Setup: Sony PRS-505, Version 1.1.00.18040

Does anyone have similar experiences, and maybe knows how to fix the freezing after the disconnect (including the "Error" connection with the Sony Book Software)

Thank you very much for your great support and many greetings from New Zealand
Urs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Urs and welcome to the Forum. I've experienced that screen freeze when I disconnect from the USB after transferring a book over to the reader. Normally, I just have to wait a few minutes and it unfreezes. I've also been able to unfreeze it by reconnecting the USB plug and leaving it to its own devices for a few minutes then disconnecting.

Other, more experienced forum members can probably shed more light on the subject.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
GKreader
GKreader began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Hi - I am a new member in the forum and have also just bought a prs505.
I wonder if your problem might be a result of not allowing the device to be 'gracefully' disconnected?

I noticed that I need to shutdown the Sony software for the 'do not disconnect' icon to disappear. Or you might use the USB disconnect widget in the system tray...

Or you may know all this anyway
GKreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi GKreader and welcome to the Forum. That sounds like it'd do the trick. Just charged my reader up last night using the AC Adapter and don't have any books to move over so I'll have to check it out later.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast
^_Pepe_^ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook reader PRS-505 / iLiad
Hi!

¿Any update with this issue?

A friend of mine, has got a new PRS505, and he has exactly same issue.

> Same firmware (latest, hope)
> Same symptoms
> Same result.

At present time, he only can pass eBooks from Laptop to SD card directly and after this, put the SD in 505.

If USB cable is connected to any PC, it freezes, and only a hard reset can be done.

We've tested with second cable (mine), and second laptop. Same result... :-(

:-(

Any solution?
(We have used PRS Customizer to flash 505 to spanish, and so on...)
^_Pepe_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_Pepe_^ View Post
At present time, he only can pass eBooks from Laptop to SD card directly and after this, put the SD in 505.

If USB cable is connected to any PC, it freezes, and only a hard reset can be done.

We've tested with second cable (mine), and second laptop. Same result... :-(
To all the above...

First, when you dock via USB and unplug, the 505 will re-index the books. This involves reading all the files and working out the author and title, and adding them to the index. The more books you have in memory or on a card, the longer it will take. Also depends on the file types - some file types such as PDF process fatser than others (RTF). You should get a 'two arrows circle' symbol on screen whilst it does this, but it can take 10-20 twenty minutes if you load lots of books.

If you connect your device and can only see (as per the above quote) the SD cards, but the books main memory, he/she has a faulty 505. A batch of a few hundred went out which had this fault (my wife had one), so you should return it for replacement.

When you plug in the 505 for docking/charging, you should see 3 drives on your PC - the main memory (with sub directories for database, media, etc) and two drives for the Sd slots. If you have no SD cards plugged in, you will see the drives fro the SD cards, but of course, your wont be able to access them.

As I say, I keep my book pretty full, so after I unplug it (and as I use slow RTFs as I prefer the format for reading), it takes upto 20 minutes to re-index all my books.
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast

Hi!

Fresh updates. Thanks for response, but nothing of above happens. My friend has only half dozen of lrf's, and we've been looking at the eBook for a long time after reset.

Now, the good, (or bad it depends...) news.

Yesterday, I plugged my PRS-505 (I know...i didn't change my avatar yet), and...it didn't work at all!!

Same error than my friend, and my eBook worked perfectly until friday...

Ok! Now, not only he, but we know some things:

> The USB cable is discarded.
> The eBook is discarded. My eBook was working fine
> The Sony connect reader shouldn't be, because, Calibre, works in the same way, that is: I can see the three units (SD, internal memory, Sony memory stick), and I can transfer eBooks either with Connect reader or Calibre, BUT, after unplugging, the eBook freezes up ("USB connected" remains on screen) and only hard reset works...

I suspect on USB Connect driver on Windows XP (oem home edition). Let me explain: After plugging my friend eBook, windows started the "new hardware found" process...and finally said: "system need to be restarted". Clicked "yes", and a popup window said "EbookUSB needs to manually finished, please click accept" or something so...

And after that...errors!!

I need to double check other operating systems, other pc, uninstall USB driver...

:-/

New informations will be posted soon. We will conquer the Windows battle!!!!!

Regards and thanks for help

^_Pepe_^
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You mention having both the Sony software and Calibre.
I'm wondering whether you are having a driver conflict. Calibre and Sony share the same driver.

See the early posts in this thread for a solution.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25286
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast

Hi!

Thanks for helpful information.

I'd try to fix it tonight (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16796). I'll keep informed

Best regards,
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast

Hi!

Daily update...

I've been testing with three diferent PCs. One of them with only Sony Connect Reader installed (last version) and Windows XP SP3 Professional. Bad luck. After that, I plugged it to my gamming machine (Windows XP SP3, as well) with no luck either.

PRS505 has same behaviour: When plugged into USB, starts, shows the USB picture, but it doesn't show "USB Connected".

I have been trying a hard-hard reset (vol+, mark, reset), but nothing new.

Well...

I have changed my suspicions...Now I guess that PRS Customizer files were corrupted (somehow) in my SD Card, and that's why I have same behaviour than my friend, because we both used same SD Card.

Now my question: How can I downgrade (or uninstall) the "flash data" installed with PRS Customizer??

Should I try a new reflash with other SD Card?
Should I use the option of flash menu to downgrade flash?

Perhaps, I should start with "restore defaults" option of eBook menu...

:-?

Bit confused!

Thanks for help.
^_Pepe_^
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If the device won't mount to the PC... I'm not sure how you are going to use the reflasher... since it needs a connection to the device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
tachi
tachi began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader PRS500
hello:,
Im new in this forum. Excuse me about my english, cause Im from Argentina, and my english is not good.
Now I will post my difficult with my Ereader Sony PRS500. When I conecting the USB cable, and y opened the program in the PC, windows told me that was not responding.
So I disconected the device, and in the screen apeares the logo of E reading and "starting up", and it stayed like that, until now. I tried to reseted it, and the program did not respond. I tried to turn off and y couldnt.

Please tell me what can I do?
tachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #13
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast

Tachi,

Have you reflashed somehow your PRS500?? If so, please consider to reset your device. Take a look into https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS500.

Please, also double check if your user has administrator privileges in Windows.

Regards,
^_Pepe_^
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
QBColleen
QBColleen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I've had mine since 2-08 and I took a recent upgrade for the reader...it has always taken awhile for it to "snap outta it" after adding more goodies...it has to sorta reformat...move stuff over....'Oh boy!! More for the P section fellas'!!

Really I thought I'd broken it after taking the Sony update..I was freakin' out...but all's well..just be patient and figure...when I add more to the library it's gonna take time to adjust. (I have over 10,000 books on a card).

Happy reading...I'm new to the forum also.

Colleen in California
QBColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This was discussed in another thread earlier today. Same thing, screen freeze. I told him what I did when it happened to me a few days ago. I was panicked, tried turning it on and off, etc. Then I pushed the power button to "on" and held it about a minute, until suddenly everything snapped back to life.

This fixed the other person's 505 also, so maybe it is worth giving a try next time it freezes up?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote