Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
HuronJoe
HuronJoe began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket Reader
Cool Electronic document display devices

Hi to everyone, my pen name is HuronJoe and reading information about eReader's: Which is the best one for the availability, comfortable reading and price has brought me to this group.
HuronJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
G'day, HuronJoe,

First-up: To simultaneously confuse and clarify things, an "ereader" is actually a particular format...or software...or anyway it's some proprietary thing and not what you're after, but it's worth pointing it out so's needless confusion is avoided for you now and in future. Here's what the wiki says:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ereader

So, let's all use the term "ebook reader device", seeing as it just rolls off the tongue. (Note, their are some evil rebels on the forum who use the term "liseuse", and they are very bad people. You should probably avoid them unless, like me, you quite like a bit of "What have you got?" rebellion, in which case, welcome ).

Anyway, welcome aboard, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Incidentally, the answers to your questions, as they relate to eInk devices are:

Availability: Kindle, Sony
Comfortable reading: Cybook, Kindle, Sony
Price: Sony, Kindle

except for the times when these are not the answers (in other words, when everyone disagrees with me. I'd go with whatever they say - after all, I've only got an Iliad).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I am the proud owner of a Kindle which I unwrapped and powered on for the first time on 21 February. Since then, I've read 16 books on the Kindle and 15 paper books.

It seems that the only ebook reader more expensive than the Kindle is the Illiad, but the price was worth it for me. I justified it by the expected lower price of "best seller" and "new release" books that would allow me to read them on the Kindle instead of buying the hardback version or waiting for the paperback to come out. YMMV.

The Kindle is extremely comfortable to hold while reading, even when reading in bed. Initially, you may find yourself bumping one of the page turn buttons until you stop trying to hold the Kindle the same way you hold a paper book.

I did step into a Borders bookstore and play with the Sony PRS 505 that they had on display. I recognized that I could be happy with the device, but researching the type of current books that I buy, I also realized that I would make up the difference in price between the Sony and the Kindle by the difference in price of the books.

Downside of the Kindle is that although it reads standard Mobipocket books, it cannot be used to read Secure Mobipocket (i.e. those with DRM) format. You can only buy the secured books from Amazon with their proprietary DRM format.

Whatever you decide, you're in for a treat -- both with the device and with getting to know the folks here at MobileRead.

Welcome. Welcome, indeed.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi HuronJoe and welcome to the Forum. I've got the Sony 505 and am very pleased with it. Have also had my hands on a Kindle and like that as well. Kindle does a better job with font sizes but, as Elsi mentions, it is easy to inadvertently click the page turn buttons.

The Sony has a metal, high tech feel to it whereas the Kindle feels more plastic in your hands.

Truth is, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello HuronJoe, lots of good reading here about all the readers
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
HuronJoe
HuronJoe began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket Reader
Thanks very much for the reply. This is my first forum so I'm not quite sure if I'm supposed to answer everyone's post individually. So for the time being I will send a stock reply to everyone's response that I received. Since they are all about reader devices, I will just go with the one everyone seems to think is the best.

Last edited by HuronJoe; 05-16-2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Changed from singular to plural reply.
HuronJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronJoe View Post
Thanks very much for the reply. This is my first forum so I'm not quite sure if I'm supposed to answer everyone's post individually. So for the time being I will send a stock reply to everyone's response that I received. Since they are all about reader devices, I will just go with the one everyone seems to think is the best.
G'day HuronJoe,

No, you certainly don't have to answer everyone's reply individually. You've thanked everyone above, which is obviously the polite thing to do, but you only need answer a specific post if you feel like highlighting something from it, or asking the person some more, or just because it raises more questions for you.

It's just a big group conversation, so don't worry about being your "first forum". Have a look around, and you'll see how each "thread" goes conversation-wise (and also how silly it sometimes get...well, at least in some of the threads I hang out in ).

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, if you have a look around, you'll see you can also look at peoples' "Profiles", and from there you can even ask people questions privately. Again though, don't be afraid to ask questions in public though. There'll be sure to be folks along to help you out.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronJoe View Post
You can try multi-quote. It is the little blue box in the bottom right of each message. Click on the ones you want to reply to. This will allow you to use 1 message to respond to many without people loosing the thread on the conversation.

Bob
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote