Notices

View Poll Results: When you read a free book from an author are you
More likely to buy from that author 54 100.00%
Less likely to buy from that author 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I don't think it has any relationship to whether the book was free. If I liked a book, I'd look for others. The first book being free might prompt me to start reading books from that author, but that's the end of it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
As said by others, a free first book may make it more likely for me to pick it up in the first place (e.g. for a new author or something that sounds like a "maybe but not generally my thing"), but a book being free has very little relevance to whether I'll buy more from that author or not - if I enjoyed it a lot, I'm likely to buy more from the author.

There is a slight chance, especially if it's a self-published author or an author whose work tends to be free on a regular basis, that I might opt to stick their others books in my wishlist and get them when it's their turn to be free - but (a) this only happens if I found the first free book enjoyable but average (i.e. "wouldn't buy more; might get more if free"), and (b) I'm more likely to do that with authors who are no longer with us but still under copyright, because I don't feel entirely comfortable to try and get every book by a still-living author for free (I'm not at all judging anyone who does so, not the least because this is something authors and publishers who do regular free books need to consider and hopefully word of mouth and reader recs pay off eventually.).

In general, though, I have so many unread books already that unless it's a "wow, I want to read more right now" sort of experience, I'm likely to just stick some other books in the wishlist anyway, as a sort of reminder to myself, and probably not actually buy them any time soon.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #18
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the poll doesn't seem to cover my answer. i've discovered authors because one of their ebooks was free, and if i really enjoyed the free ebook, i'm fairly likely to buy other books by the author. i've done that time after time. it's a lot easier to get to know an author's voice by reading more of a book than just a short sample, and there are several authors i've found via giveaways that i've paid for more than 6 books from each.

that also applies to really cheap ebooks. i just finished a bargain book, went to amazon and immediately ordered (and paid for) the next 2 books in the series.

btw, why would one be less likely to read more from an author based on whether one of his/her books was free?

Last edited by basschick; 05-03-2013 at 03:15 AM.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
As others have said, it all depends on if I liked the book. I have bought other books in a series if I liked the series. So freebies I haven't gotten very far before I quit for one reason or the other and those I wouldn't buy from the author again. But, it is just like any other purchase, if I like the brand I'd repurchase, if not, there are too many other choices.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What, "The Blue one next to the Fish"?
The fish has long since died and the blue one has rusted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The free one (or sample ChapterS) replace the ability to thumb through a book that was lost with the loss of many Local book stores.

I would say: the Authors CHANCES of me buying a book increase with a sample.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
stupid question. I'll try more from the author if I liked it.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I get the sneaking feeling that jbc might now have a very rough idea of what he should have asked .........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I don't think the fact that an author gives away one book free directly affects my decision whether or not to purchase subsequent books.

What it does do is make me more likely to try the free book, and if I like it add their subsequent books to my list of prospective purchases. I then track these books on Luzme until the price hits a level I'm happy to pay - and an initial free book wouldn't affect that decision.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote