Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
Another broken screen...?

Hello,

I was running low on my battery when finished reading one day. Next day I tried to turn my reader on, when the screen got totally crazy (I am not sure if it got crazy right after switching on, or it become already before).
Several strange lines appeared, and after this the reader had gone.
The upper part (60%) got black, the bottom part were liny.
I charged the battery - after this the reader started reacting, but the reactions were very slow (like if the reader were thinking several seconds before taking any action) and the screen in the upper part was very strange (once blurry, once crossed with several lines). Interesting thin is that when switched off, the screen in its upper part become normal (white), not black anymore.
Anyway, there were still those lines in the bottom.
I made a hard reset and left the reader for two days (as I felt like if giving the reader some rest was making it working better).
After 2 days the reader started working "normally" - with some exceptions.
Exception is that the bottom part is still covered with lines, while the proper picture is moved upwards (see the pictures).

What's going on...?
Unfortunately, I don't have the extended warranty and being in Poland it means I probably lost my toy...

Last edited by grissley; 03-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
G, Why don't you call the Sony support line and see what they say? And report back here what you learn!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
G, Why don't you call the Sony support line and see what they say?
I want to be prepared for this conversation - that's why I'm asking here first
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
tahunasky
tahunasky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-650
Hi, I had the same thing with my prs-650, basically it locked up with "OPENING BOOK" and only 1/2 the lines were displayed..
I tried soft reset, hard reset.. when i connected it to my laptop the "CHARGING BATTERY" didnt appear like usual, but i could still access the flash storage on the reader via USB cable..

I sent of an email to sony support, and they said to send in for warranty replacement..
After a week of sitting in a box waiting for me to get around to sending to sony, i decided i would post it off, but first delete all the books and notes i had on it.. After being plugged into my laptop via USB for a couple of minutes the "CHARGING BATTERY" message came on, screen was still messed up. I unplugged from laptop, switched on, and it started working, screen still not perfect, but after a reset a couple of times, everything is working perfectly again..

I wonder if its a fault with the reader, software problem..

see pics for what the screen looked like..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony reader_screen capture_1.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	68362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony reader_screen capture_2.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	68363  
tahunasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Looks like a broken screen controller card to me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not quite the same tahunasky, yours still had recognisable display across the screen area whereas the 950 has lost part of display... either controller or screen fault...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It does indeed look line a screen controller issue. If it was a broken screen, what's visible on screen would not be pushed up. The bit at the bottom would be unreadable with the visible part in the right place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
grissley
Enthusiast

Sony response is that if the hard reset didn't work, the item has to be sent for service to US.
The shipping to US would be damn expensive, there is a threat they will charge me taxes once it is sent back, but the biggest threat is that I pay for shipping, send the item, then will have it sent back, pay the toll and taxes, and then see the information that the damage is not covered by the guarantee, so they send the item back not repaired...

ughh.

EDIT

The only US Sony repair facility is in Laredo, Texas.
Shipping to Laredo is 100$.
What a bad luck :-/

Last edited by grissley; 03-15-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The damage is covered. It's not a broken screen. Broken screens do not push the content up the screen. Only a defect screen controller can do that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
umpi
umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by grissley View Post
Sony response is that if the hard reset didn't work, the item has to be sent for service to US.
The shipping to US would be damn expensive, there is a threat they will charge me taxes once it is sent back, but the biggest threat is that I pay for shipping, send the item, then will have it sent back, pay the toll and taxes, and then see the information that the damage is not covered by the guarantee, so they send the item back not repaired...

ughh.

EDIT

The only US Sony repair facility is in Laredo, Texas.
Shipping to Laredo is 100$.
What a bad luck :-/
Very sorry to hear that. However, I am sure you were aware of the risk of buying a PRS 950 from the US, being you in Europe. I was in doubt when attempting to buy the 950 because of these type of situations (shipping costs + customs tax charged to the buyer). I am happy I got a 650 here in Europe.
umpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Grissly, just to give you some hope I sent a PRS700 in because I sat on my reader and they replaced the screen under warranty for a small fee and shipping... I think it was less than $40 dollars US. I know shipping is the big problem for you but once Sony gets it it should be free repair/replace. Good Luck
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Dupe.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
grissley
Enthusiast

So, I'll send it to US for ~30$ (yeah, found sth cheaper ).
Unfortnately, I'll also have to pay at least another 30$ for the repair (full warranty is only 90days...???). Anyhow, let's see.

Last edited by grissley; 05-10-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
netboy
Enthusiast
netboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watch

Device: prs-505, prs-950, irex dr800sg
Full warranty is definitely more than 90 days. I had the same thing happen to me and it was replaced at no cost to me. They sent me a new one with a shipping label to send my broken one back to them. My reader was about 5 months old.
netboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
full warranty for sony prs 950

Hello, netboy, can you tell us how and where to buy the full warranty for sony prs 950?
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote