Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony daily edition 950
Nook or Sony 950 for scientific journal articles pdf

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. I have never own a ereader and after some research I have narrowed it down to the nook and the sony 950. I went to the best buy to see them and I would favor the sony. But there is one feature I was not able to test is the rendering for pdf articles from scientific journals (latex, multicolums, plenty of figures...) and I was wondering which one of the two did a better job on these types of document?

I did found a review of pdf for the sony but not for the nook so I can't really compare. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
caribbean_spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Hi caribbean_spur and welcome! By the way, I love the Caribbean!

I have a nook and plan on getting a 950. They are both great devices. As to your situation, I don't have much experience with pdfs but I would recommend the 950 from what I've read around here.

I've read that the 950 is better with pdfs, and the screen is bigger, but perhaps someone with more pdf knowledge of the two can chime in.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

hi sun surfer ! Thanks for the reply. You are right both device seem fine. I actually decided for the sony because I like the dictionary/translation option (not being a English speaker and all...) and I like the navigation better. Also, it is soooooo light. Anyway, I am waiting for the pdf comments and will make my decision.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
Is reading PDF your primary purpose?
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
I'm researching a reader to use with pdfs too. It seems like the 950 is the best option. You'll also probably find the multi-column option very useful.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypocaramel View Post
Is reading PDF your primary purpose?
It is not my primary purpose since I will probably use it more for leisure reading. But I will certainly use it quite a bit for scientific articles too though.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
It really depends on the nature of your documents. If most of them are A4 by default and are complex format-wise, I would personally go with LCD tablet or 10" e-ink displays. Trying read to read A4 documents on a 7" diagonal screen is really not ideal. The low refresh rate is usually a killer when you scroll. But I haven't owned a 950, so I can't say if there's been significant improvement since the devices I've used / heard about.

Last edited by ypocaramel; 11-29-2010 at 09:13 AM.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
PDF on 650 is great although it depends on the PDF itself.
PDF reflow works very good and i'm able to read pdfs which consists mainly of texts very well. Pictures and tables are also fine but it depends whether you are using zoom or simple increase the font size. Sometimes tables are moved to a position later in the text when font size is increased.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
IMHO, none of these will work well with two-column academic papers. I don't know what discipline you're in, but in mine, papers have small type (often 9 point) and very small margins. Reader displays are smaller than paper, making the text too small to read. So there will be a lot of panning and zooming, which is painful on an e-ink device. An iPad is probably your best bet today. Personally, I use my Kindle for novels, and either print my PDFs or read them on my laptop.

I should say that I don't personally have experience with PDF reflows on the 950, but I am very dubious whether it will work well enough for papers with lots of figures and math. Definitely find a way to try before you buy - perhaps someone here who owns one would be kind enough to try it out for you if you sent them a paper.

Last edited by Baldrake; 11-29-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added about reflow...
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
baldrake have you seen pdf through a 650?

because from what i've seen the 650 splits the pdf into 2 sections. which is pretty much A4 like. Not only that the kindle and the 650 can both darken the pdf which I would say helps a little.
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

My problem is I have a very hard time reading from computer screen. My eyes get quickly tired. Hence my interest in the E-ink devices. I usually print all my papers so it would be nice to get a resear that give me the flexibility to read my papers on screen.

If someone has tried the pdf for these types of documents, I have 2 questions:
- On the review I saw online it seemed like the zoom worked well, but the various zoom bars were covering the text. Is there a way to keep the document zoomed in but have the zoom bars disappear?

-Also, if the text is too small , will the landscape view make it bigger?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrake View Post
IMHO, none of these will work well with two-column academic papers..

PocketBook devices allow you to read multi-column pdfs one column at a time. Once you have the PDF open you can go to the zoom/reflow selections and choose the multi-column option and select how many columns the pdf has.

The text is then zoomed to fit page width and using the paging buttons the first column is scrolled thru then the second etc until it turns to the new page and starts at the first column again.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Sounds very interesting. Definitely worth learning more about.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I hope these help:

for the 950:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sYTLtYPh90

for the nook:
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/barn...oble-nook.html
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
PocketBook devices allow you to read multi-column pdfs one column at a time. Once you have the PDF open you can go to the zoom/reflow selections and choose the multi-column option and select how many columns the pdf has.

The text is then zoomed to fit page width and using the paging buttons the first column is scrolled thru then the second etc until it turns to the new page and starts at the first column again.
Can't you do that with the new Sony devices and the Kindle 3 as well? I'm pretty sure I've seen that in their video reviews.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote