Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Another Cheap Reader Carrying Case Alternative

I got this from Best Buy. It's for the Nintendo DS and cost 11.99. I thought this might be an alternative for those that found the Walmart MP3 case too tight. I was also able to fit my reader with the M-edge cover inside too. There is a velcro divider up top which detaches and lays inside nice and flat. One more thing, the case is well padded.

Ellen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2007 013 (Small).jpg
Views:	777
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	3285   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2007 014 (Small).jpg
Views:	633
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	3286   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2007 015 (Small).jpg
Views:	766
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	3287   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2007 017 (Small).jpg
Views:	768
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	3288   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2007 010 (Small).jpg
Views:	727
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	3289  
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Interesting alternative. I'm surprised it fits considering the DS-lite is much smaller than the Reader.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Nice info! Considering I have a DS as well, it's always nice to have good travel options that work for more than one device.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Heh, that got me thinking to try the reader in my G-pak DS case I just bought. I just upgraded from a DS Fat to a Lite (man what a difference), so I've been on a DS spending tear. I picked up a G-pak at Gamestop mainly because it has spaces to hold 15 DS games, along with some GB spots. So I'm using it more for an organizer than lugging it around with me. Anywho, the standard e-reader and cover fit into it fine.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
I just picked this up yesterday and I must say that it's a perfect fit for the reader. It's got a good amount of padding, and will undoubtedly work well with any of the covers.

The only thing I didn't like is that the strap on the outside is sewn on at one end (and clipped on the other), so you can't temporarily remove it. Even so, it does tuck in decently inside, so it's not that big of a deal.

At only 12 bucks, this case is well worth picking up even if you don't need or want one.

edit: The colors I've seen are: Vibrant White, Bright Blue, Black, and Pink (the pink one had a nice single-color image of Mario in darker pink)

Last edited by Nogg; 04-29-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg
The only thing I didn't like is that the strap on the outside is sewn on at one end (and clipped on the other), so you can't temporarily remove it. Even so, it does tuck in decently inside, so it's not that big of a deal.
I don't like the strap either. I have been thinking of taking it off and replacing it with a wrist strap. I mainly wanted something that would protect my reader when in my backpack or purse.

Ellen
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
phigdon
phigdon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I found a portable DVD case for a car at Targer on close out for $5. It holds the reader my headphones the charger booklight and batteries. The best thing is that it has a headphone jack on the front so if I travel I can have the reader playing MP3's with the case closed.
phigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Anyone have specific information on the Best Buy case (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1)?

I am taking a trip in July and want to get a protective case well in advance that fits comfortably over any choice of the default case, the leather case, or the B&D fancy thicker leather one. The Best Buy Nintendo DS case looks perfect, but my local Best Buy doesn't have that model in stock and the web site listing doesn't have a picture and sound more like the two section case I saw at the store (which divides the case in half, so there's no room for a Sony Reader.)

But that box in Ellen's post looks exactly like the one I was looking at. Maybe there is a long section inside that I wasn't aware of? Anyone have this, that can give me the exact model number or SKU number for comparison?

Or does anyone like another pouch case which fits over the Sony Reader covers (comfortably!), doesn't require special order or measurements, has lots of protection for traveling, and is <$50?

Thanks!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well, I figured it out! I took my Reader with me to Best Buy for a second look now that I re-examined the photos. Sure enough, that case was there and I was able to get a black one without any kid-pictures on it. The trick is that the two sections are divided by a velcro attached divider, which can be folded almost flat, allowing the Reader to slide all the way in. And, yes, there is plenty of room for it including a cover.

It's a very very good solution that will be just fine, but in my quest for the perfect case I will probably still keep my eye out for alternatives because:
* Even when you fold the velcro flap over, it doesn't lie perfectly flat and leaves a small bulge. Because of that, I end up having to be careful to put the screen side away from the bulge. (Probably not necessary, but after all it IS my precious Reader!)
* The padding is great, but I think it's possible to get a little bit better protection. For example, there's no specific hard flap to go over the screen side.
* It is a nice looking case, but not "executive" nice. Just "ordinary" nice. Yes, I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense, but somehow I think people will still know what I mean!

I think 90% of buyers would find this case perfect for the Reader, so I would probably recommend it first to anyone looking for something based on the cases I know about so far. But the cases at The Pouch sound promising as an upscale case also, and I'm sure we'll discover other various options over time.

Much thanks to Ellen for discovering this and sharing it with us, photos and all!

P.S. Speaking of which, I am obviously reading way to fast these days due to limited time. I have just now realized that Ellen even specifically explained about the velcro divider, and I just missed it!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
imaredr
Collector

@Bob,

I just saw your message. I agree that this case isn't "Grown Up", and I continue to look for the perfect case for all the different ebook devices I own. The dimensions though make it hard. There are either too big or too small. I have been looking at some portable DVD cases, but so far I feel that it would just add more bulk. Sometimes during the back-to-school sales there are lunch cases that are quite nice. Infact they are too small for a real lunch. Usually they come with a backpack as an extra (I give the backpack to my kids and I keep the lunch case). That's how I got a nice case for my REB1100. If you come across something for an UMPC let me know!

Ellen
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
I found an excellent case at Chapters. It's a vinyl zip up paperback book protector for travellers (I think it's called The Book Tote).

It has a large, thick paperback size, piece of foam on the inside pretending to be a book. I just cut the foam in half with a bread knife and tucked each half under the front and back inside flaps of the case. The reader, with it's cover, fits quite nicely in its new well padded vinyl zipup case.

I suppose I could cut up some rectagles of plastic and slid them behind the foam if I wanted to add more protection.

It was six bucks, and works wonderfully.
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote