Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How Do You Handle Stress?
I drink 10 9.62%
I take pills. 7 6.73%
I drink AND take pills 5 4.81%
I excercise. (running, workouts, whatever) 27 25.96%
I meditate, use a relaxation technique or bio-feedback 19 18.27%
I cry 18 17.31%
I come to MobileRead and lose myself in the Lounge 30 28.85%
I play online games/surf the net 27 25.96%
I watch TV 19 18.27%
I read 57 54.81%
I have a hobby......please post what it is. 17 16.35%
I use one of those little "stress balls" 3 2.88%
I throw one of those little stress balls at someone 7 6.73%
I sleep 27 25.96%
I eat 28 26.92%
I kick my kids, dog (s), cat (s) wife, husband, who/whatever happens to be nearest 3 2.88%
The blue one next to the fish. 11 10.58%
None of the above....please post what you do. 11 10.58%
I'm not voting, I just want to keep track of what others do. 1 0.96%
I eat bacon and donuts (or a bacon-filled donut.) 2 1.92%
I pray. 9 8.65%
I go shopping. 4 3.85%
I smoke. 9 8.65%
I turn to my dog(s)/cat(s)/squirrel(s)/llama(s)/whatever animal(s) for comfort 16 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
How Do You Handle Stress??

So.....I was specifically requested to start a poll.

How do you handle stress? Any of the above work for you? If not......please post what YOU do to handle stress.....keep it clean, please.

Poll will be multiple choice and votes will be kept private.

As always, all posts welcome.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There........I started.

I love 1000pc jigsaw puzzles. Literally can lose an hour or two just staring at the pieces.

Sometimes I even put a couple of those little pieces together!
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I find running really relaxing and effective against (mostly work-related) stress. All I think about is the next step, and if I'm running outside I really like looking at the landscape. Also at other people. Preferably male runners in good shape

Besides that, throwing things at people (or at the wall if there are no people around) helps a lot too

It's a good thing I learned how to deal with stress, I live in the land of the impossible deadlines.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
All of the Above --- LOL
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Loverly! I destress (should that be dis-stress??) by taking grandma's polls. So let me ponder this a minute and enjoy it. Let's see.....bacon.....no?.....okay, doughnuts.....where the hell are the d*** doughnuts?!?!? I'm starting to get irritated now! I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type!!!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Loverly! I destress (should that be dis-stress??) by taking grandma's polls. So let me ponder this a minute and enjoy it. Let's see.....bacon.....no?.....okay, doughnuts.....where the hell are the d*** doughnuts?!?!? I'm starting to get irritated now! I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type!!!

OOPS. MODS! Could someone add "I eat bacon and doughnuts!!"
to the poll?

(Just KNEW I 'd forget something!!)

"Serenity NOW!!!!"
Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
At my workplace I am surrounded by flaming idiots. I keep an empty cardboard box in the hallway outside my office door. When I reach the point where I'm debating between resigning to take up a new career bagging groceries versus beating a co-worker with a 2 x 4 -- I calmly step into the hallway and kick the **** out of the box.

Funnily enough, no one has ever asked me what I'm doing, and no one has ever moved the box. [I learned the hard way to use an empty box.]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
There.......now do you feel better?

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-12-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: changed.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Just playing, DG. Thanks for the marvy poll! You're the best!

I don't eat for stress relief any more. And despite my wife's constant use of the TV, I avoid it like the plague now. My top de-stressing activities are exercise (a couple of hours on the elliptical will beat the crap out of any stressors you may be suffering from), meditating (nothing fancy, just sitting quietly counting to four with each inhale and exhale), reading (preferably my favorite author: Gandhi), and drawing. I've gotten much better at using these over the past year and I'd say I'm much more capable of handling stress now.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
At my workplace I am surrounded by flaming idiots. I keep an empty cardboard box in the hallway outside my office door. When I reach the point where I'm debating between resigning to take up a new career bagging groceries versus beating a co-worker with a 2 x 4 -- I calmly step into the hallway and kick the **** out of the box.

Funnily enough, no one has ever asked me what I'm doing, and no one has ever moved the box. [I learned the hard way to use an empty box.]

Yeah, well I bet you'd feel LOTS better if you just gave in and HIT that co-worker with a 2x4......
Old 10-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yeah, well I bet you'd feel LOTS better if you just gave in and HIT that co-worker with a 2x4......
Well, yes I would, it's something to look forward to for my retirement party. I could excuse myself by claiming I thought the party had a Spanish theme and I was just trying to break the pinata!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I especially like the
Quote:
I come to MobileRead and lose myself in the Lounge
My option would be:
Quote:
What is in your cup?
At the same time I would drink lots of tea...
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Well, yes I would, it's something to look forward to for my retirement party. I could excuse myself by claiming I thought the party had a Spanish theme and I was just trying to break the pinata!
You've obviously been planning this a looong time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I especially like the

My option would be:

At the same time I would drink lots of tea...
Starbucks passion fruit tea with lemonade, sweetened? Yummy!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Starbucks passion fruit tea with lemonade, sweetened? Yummy!
Sounds like it both smells and tastes good. Fruit teas have a certain aroma to them.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I play piano & ukulele. When I'm really angry, the piano knows it. That's the "hobby." But I also read, come to MR, and eat. Crying is good, but mostly to relieve sadness. I don't do that enough, but I believe it can be beneficial. Then again, I'm not usually sad, and my life these days is fairly low-stress.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote