Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Upcoming App Releases for 2.11

I wanted to let you guys know what I'm working on for the 2.11 release. According to iRex, everyone with shell access will be able to unbrick after downloading 2.11. This means that software that modifies the root file system will no longer be off limits. I've finished packaging the following programs. I'm waiting until 2.11 is released before I'll post links. If anyone who has unbricking support installed would like them sooner, PM me and I'll send you a link to the download.
  • FBReader Registry Hack. - Allows launching supported books in FBReader directly from the contentlister.
  • AbiWord easy installer. Word Processor compatible with Microsoft Word and RTF. Packaged with AbiWord Registry Hack
  • Gnumeric Easy Installer - Spreadsheet program compatible with Excel files. Packaged with Registry hack

I'll take a look at some other apps I've ported in the past to make an easy installer for. I could probably get gpe calendar/contacts/todo working without too much trouble.

Does anyone else have something they'd like packaged as an easy installer (like FBReader)? Any registry hack requests?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Great work you do here Adam.
If you are ever in Germany near Bonn, i'll invite you to a drink or two
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Great work you do here Adam.
If you are ever in Germany near Bonn, i'll invite you to a drink or two
Seeing that you're about 4,200 Miles away, and I've never left North America, I don't think that'll likely happen soon. But if it does, I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
bedwere
Enthusiast
bedwere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Does anyone else have something they'd like packaged as an easy installer (like FBReader)? Any registry hack requests?
Could you recompile FBreader? I couldn't read a chm file and had to convert it to html. I sent a message to the developers and they fixed it in 0.8.4a. Many thanks!
bedwere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwere View Post
Could you recompile FBreader? I couldn't read a chm file and had to convert it to html. I sent a message to the developers and they fixed it in 0.8.4a. Many thanks!
I didn't realize FBReader had made any changes that would effect the iLiad since the last port. I'll update the iLiad version and release it with the registry hack for 2.11.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Seeing that you're about 4,200 Miles away, and I've never left North America, I don't think that'll likely happen soon. But if it does, I'll be sure to let you know.
You REALLY have to go visit Europe!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Likewise for the UK, Adam. If you ever visit here, do let me know and we'll have a few beers together. You're the "star" of the Iliad firmament!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
can you post the gqview version for the iliad, for all the people ;-)

i know that it's a little tricky about how to use it, but for all who are reading manga is big plus. to not convert to pdf only copy in the CF, and go to read
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Will FBReader or any other open source reader support Epub in the future ? I know that some open-source readers for Epub are available on Linux: it should be possible to get Epub support on the iLiad too.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Adam:

I'm afraid some of these will need modifications for 2.11, especially if they do something with the registry.

We've moved away from the INI-style registry to an XML registry. As soon as you get the beta, you can do some testing.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Adam:

I'm afraid some of these will need modifications for 2.11, especially if they do something with the registry.

We've moved away from the INI-style registry to an XML registry. As soon as you get the beta, you can do some testing.
So much for things being easy.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Just saw that FBReader added initial support for Epub in its latest version. Anyone tried reading Epub on the iLiad yet ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #13
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Adam:

Matthijs: I guess it is an idea to make the registry-reading a bit more failsafe? So that if a user messes up his registry the content lister reverts to a default, or something... to avoid bricked iliads
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hehe, that would be a good idea. Who likes a bricked iLiad anyway?

EPub format on the iLiad would be very good. Could you update the your port for the iLiad Adam?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Hehe, that would be a good idea. Who likes a bricked iLiad anyway?
The meditation thread did
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote