Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #1621
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
**Snort**

Oh, thanks for reminding me about him. I forgot there was a question about his .. umm .. being.
We have been given a hint:

Spoiler:

“He did turn down the painkillers. I remember it seemed odd at the time,” Karrin murmured. “What is he?”
I shrugged. “Ask him.”
“I did,” she said, “right before he passed out.”
“What’d he say?”
“He said, ‘I’m out.’”

I'm thinking 'Out'sider?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #1622
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
What do people think the minimum age recommendation for reading the Dreseden files series is?
My son is 12 and a voracious reader, but this series seems too adult (referring to sexual content and torture scenes etc) for his age, but not sure when is appropriate to allow him to read it.

I know he could understand and process it though, just concerned about the adult concepts.
I think it depends on the kid. I was reading anything I could get my hands on at 12, including Mickey Spillane, Ian Fleming and Robert B Parker. My brother was an avid reader and was 10 years older than me. So when I wanted something to read, I grabbed something from his shelves.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #1623
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I think it depends on the kid. I was reading anything I could get my hands on at 12, including Mickey Spillane, Ian Fleming and Robert B Parker. My brother was an avid reader and was 10 years older than me. So when I wanted something to read, I grabbed something from his shelves.
I also read anything I could get my hands on as a kid. Should I have been? No, I don't think so, for some books anyway. I read the Hannibal Lecter series when I was 12-13 years old. My mother should have been paying more attention . On the other hand I don't think Dresden is that bad. Definitely not the most graphic books I've ever read. I could have handled it at that age. I think sexual education classes in school are more graphic than these books. Would I let my daughter read it, no, not yet. Maybe at 13 though depending on how she matures. If she can see the difference between real life and a story in a book, then yes.

I have 4 kids between the ages 8-12. 2 boys, 2 girls. My oldest daughter (not my blood but makes no difference to me) is 12 and pretty mature for her age but I cringed when I found out she read Twilight. The last book had a lot of sex and vampire half-breed baby making. Even though the sex was vague, it made it sound like the best thing in the world. That's what bothered me. I don't want to be a grandmother by the time I'm 30 .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #1624
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Those are bad examples... everyone knows the religious schools are for the kids kicked out of public school and the home-schoolers are not allowed anywhere.
Well from my experience (and I have been to both public and catholic schools) the girls at the catholic schools were the ones hiking up their kilts after their mothers dropped them off to show as much leg as possible. I saw a few pregnant ones at the age of 15. And these were girls I knew were raised in a religious household. One of the high schools had to have a police officer outside the school during the day because the gang wars were so bad. Not sure why your posts are so against public schools (or their pupils).
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #1625
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post

Spoiler:

“He did turn down the painkillers. I remember it seemed odd at the time,” Karrin murmured. “What is he?”
I shrugged. “Ask him.”
“What’d he say?”
“He said, ‘I’m out.’”

I'm thinking 'Out'sider?
I was thinking the same. I've been waiting all this time to find out more about him. The suspense is driving me crazy.
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #1626
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Spoiler:

I shrugged. “Ask him.”
“What’d he say?”
“He said, ‘I’m out.’”

I'm thinking 'Out'sider?
Spoiler:
I don't (want to) believe he's some kind of (former?) bad guy, he makes such a good beer after all. Resigned Angel maybe?
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #1627
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

Spoiler:

I shrugged. “Ask him.”
“What’d he say?”
“He said, ‘I’m out.’”

I'm thinking 'Out'sider?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I was thinking the same. I've been waiting all this time to find out more about him. The suspense is driving me crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Spoiler:
I don't (want to) believe he's some kind of (former?) bad guy, he makes such a good beer after all. Resigned Angel maybe?
I don't think that was a clue. Perhaps misdirection, but I don't think it's relevant to the truth.

Spoiler:
Mac tends to "shut down" when he doesn't want to answer questions, or otherwise get involved, so "I'm out" just before conveniently passing out is kind of just something he would do. I think he's going to turn out to be some legendary badass that the Council probably knows about or has a history with. I mean, crap, we just found out that Kris Kringle is an aspect / alias of Odin (aka Donar Vadderung). With that in mind, Mac could be ANYONE.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 02-01-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #1628
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Out of the authors most read by fans of Jim Butcher on Literature Map, how many have you read?

I believe there are 47 listed - I've read something from only 13, with 6 more planned this year. My top five so far from that list are Karen Chance, Kim Harrison, Ilona Andrews, Seanan McGuire and Patrick Rothfuss.
Look at the results and you won't see Jo Walton. Yet if you map Jo Walton, you will see Jim Butcher fairly close. To me that means this map is buggy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #1629
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'd rather it'd be a fill-in.

Please tell Nyssa to put down Amber and pick up Wool.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #1630
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
(and there is a good plot in Fifty Shades)
Too bad it was left on E. L. James' computer instead in the books.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #1631
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Well there is a scene in book one with a naked couple with their guts pulled out and is described graphically, I think that is too much for a 12 year old.

TBH I'll probs go with around 16, from then onwards he'll probably be reading what he wants regardless of my views anyway.
I'd go with 14 if mature enough. I know I would have had no trouble with it. At 13/14 I was reading science fiction, fantasy, mysteries. The violence did'nt bother me.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #1632
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I've never been kicked out of a school in my life, thank you.
Perochial school is where good little girls learn to become bad little girls.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #1633
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I had this really odd few minutes where...

Spoiler:
I kept forgetting that Molly was there, until Harry mentioned it again, so for a bit I was thinking of the others present since Sarissa was now "assigned". I kid you not, for half a second, I actually wondered if Mac was the next Winter Lady. Yeah, I know that makes no sense, but I think I was caught up in "end of the book panic". And honestly, we don't know WTF he is. I mean, I'm pretty sure whatever he is isn't female, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

So I was going to plow right into the Shift Omnibus, but it's not on the reader yet and the USB cable wasn't where I could reach it from the bed (yeah, I know) so I decided to dive into one that's been on my "Next Reads" list FOREVAH - Already Dead by Charlie Huston, first of the Joe Pitt Casebooks. And then I find that Huston doesn't like the usual writing conventions, like properly formatted dialog. And now I don't know if I'm going to keep reading. Just because Cormac McCarthy got away with it, doesn't mean other people can. Huston uses em-dashes. That's it. Just em-dash before the words spoken.

-- Someone says this.
-- Someone else says this.
-- This person chimes in.

I'm annoyed.
I've seen that and gave up before starting. I wasn't going to try something that would be knowingly annoying.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #1634
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Looking forward to watch that. I always make the mistake of looking when I can't watch it right away. First thing tomorrow morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
How'd it go?

Quote:
It didn't. Went home, seen my bed, fell into the pillow and woke up (way too early rudely interrupted by alarm) when it was time to go back to work.
Finally had the time to watch this. It is a little bit disappointing - Jim is funny and all, but the questions drifted a bit too far into other books and games and did not stay enough within the confines of the series. Did like the explanation of his missing hair a lot. And of course Sue.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #1635
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Perochial school is where good little girls learn to become bad little girls.
^This! Or bad little girls learn to be worse!

I was at that school for exactly 1 school year. I actually threatened to run away from home if they sent me back, and I meant it. For the record, I was not one to talk back to my parents at that age. (Don't ask me about high school though ) They knew how seriously unhappy I was there. I met some of the biggest bullies and cheats at that school...boys and girls.

Point being, all schools have their problems. Blaming "public schools" in general for all of societies woes is ridiculous!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy