Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Feedbooks Kindle Download Guide

Kindle Help on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle

Browsing the Kindle Download Guide

The Kindle Download Guide is the easiest way to download public domain and creative commons books from Feedbooks. It could be describded as having an on-demand library on your Kindle.
  • Step 1: The guide is a simple file that you need to add on your Kindle. The URL for this file is http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide
    • Open the browser on your Kindle and open this URL
    • OR download this file and send it to your Kindle using the USB cable
    • OR download this file and send it to your Kindle using your e-mail: [user]@kindle.com
  • Step 2: Find yourself something to read. You could:
    • Flip through the guide, you'll find books in alphabetical order, then authors in alphabetical order and finally lists (There's a table of contents for all this, you can access this any time you want through the Kindle user interface).
    • Type a keyword using the search feature of your Kindle. Works very well as soon as the guide is fully indexed (you'll have to wait for a few seconds after downloading the guide for your Kindle to fully index this file).

Searching on the Kindle

• Step 3: To download a book (make sure that the EVDO connection is on), select the right line in the guide using the scrollwheel. A pop-up will show up, select the name of the book and your Kindle will download the file.

Downloading a book

• Step 4: Enjoy reading your book, it is now available on your Kindle !
  • Updating: At the beginning of the guide, you'll find a link to update this guide. The guide is updated a few times every week. Make sure that you manually delete the old version of the guide once you've updated.

Last edited by Hadrien; 12-29-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Thanks!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Any feedback yet ?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I tried it and the links work great! Thanks so much!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I tried it and the links work great! Thanks so much!
OK. I don't really know how the search works on the Kindle. Tried to divide everything in an easy way to browse though, and there's a TOC with all the authors.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek

I hadn't notice the Table of Contents at first because it put me right into the book list, but the ToC does register with the Kindle so I can get to it through the menu. Both by Author and by First Letter of Title show up.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Ok Alisa.

I've noticed a little bug, the books were listed under the right letter but not in alphabetical order. I uploaded a new version of the guide.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
bchowdhr
bchowdhr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hadrien, I tried downloading a few books as well. It gave me a message that "There was an error...." but the download worked smoothly in any case. Thanks.

I feel like I now have an access to a nice (and free) library with a catalogue.
bchowdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
Hadrien, I tried downloading a few books as well. It gave me a message that "There was an error...." but the download worked smoothly in any case. Thanks.

I feel like I now have an access to a nice (and free) library with a catalogue.
You get an error message, yet everything works ? Strange... What is the error message exactly ?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hadrian, could you tell us some more about this project, perhaps also for those (without a Kindle yet) who cannot read the guide? Thanks
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
bchowdhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
You get an error message, yet everything works ? Strange... What is the error message exactly ?
Hadrien, I think it was Kindle's message that it was unable to connect - but then connected anyway. I don't think it had anything to do with Feedbooks.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Hadrian, could you tell us some more about this project, perhaps also for those (without a Kindle yet) who cannot read the guide? Thanks
OK. First of all, anyone can read the guide. It's a normal Mobipocket file. This file should work just fine on smartphone/PDA too and I've tried it a few times on the Mobipocket Reader for Windows.

Basically, once Amazon released the Kindle, I started thinking about how Feedbooks as a service could be useful for Kindle users. First of all, I needed Mobipocket support. That's done for books, and will be available asap for feeds/newspapers.
Now, there's a few ways you can get content on the Kindle:
- Through USB (it's a UMS device) or a SD card
- Using the Kindle browser
- Links to Mobipocket/Kindle books in a file

What I'm planning to do with Feedbooks, is to offer the possibility for our users to get content these 4 different ways.

USB/SD

The Kindle is a UMS device, it acts like a normal hard drive. People can download books on their desktop computers and easily sync them to their Kindle.

For feeds, it's going to be a little different.
As soon as we've made Mobipocket available for feeds/newspapers we'll release a little tool that basically download all your feeds to your Kindle as soon as you connect it to your desktop computer. You wake up in the morning, plug your Kindle to your computer, and it syncs everything for you.

Browser

We're working on a mobile version of Feedbooks.com that should work just fine on the Kindle. This way, you'll just have to go to mobile.feedbooks.com or a similar URL on your Kindle to browse and download books/feeds.

Links inside a book

On all of our Mobipocket books, you'll notice that at the beginning and the end of each book, we link to additional books. Just follow one of this link and it automatically download the book on your device.

The download guide works the same way. It's basically a file with all the books currently available on Feedbooks in it. Browse/search for a book, select the link and you get the book on your Kindle.

I'll add the possibility on the website to e-mail yourself a book. You'll just have to authorize our e-mail address, and then using your computer, browse the books that'll be automatically sent on your Kindle. You'll have to pay the 0.10$ fee from Amazon if you decide to use this option.

On the syncing software for USB, we might also add an e-mail option. This way, every day it'll send you an e-mail with all your feeds.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

I tried it and I like it! I was able to immediately find a book I wanted on your list and the download went great.

If you make future updates to the "guide" it would be cool if we could register with our kindle email and then the newly updated guide gets sent out once a month or however often you update it. I like that idea better than even having the books emailed to me as it will save a bit of money, yet the convenience is the same.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
bchowdhr

"For feeds, it's going to be a little different.
As soon as we've made Mobipocket available for feeds/newspapers we'll release a little tool that basically download all your feeds to your Kindle as soon as you connect it to your desktop computer. You wake up in the morning, plug your Kindle to your computer, and it syncs everything for you."

Hadrien, it will be nicer if we could download the feeds directly using the Kindle instead of having to connect to our computer. Say, we go to the mobile Feedbooks site using the kindle and do one click and have the feeds dowloaded (just like the book download).

The service you are providing is awesome! Thanks.

Bhagwan
Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
"For feeds, it's going to be a little different.
As soon as we've made Mobipocket available for feeds/newspapers we'll release a little tool that basically download all your feeds to your Kindle as soon as you connect it to your desktop computer. You wake up in the morning, plug your Kindle to your computer, and it syncs everything for you."

Hadrien, it will be nicer if we could download the feeds directly using the Kindle instead of having to connect to our computer. Say, we go to the mobile Feedbooks site using the kindle and do one click and have the feeds dowloaded (just like the book download).

The service you are providing is awesome! Thanks.

Bhagwan
Well that's exactly what I've said, you'll have the choice:
- sync through USB
- on the mobile website
- using another "download guide" but for your feeds
- automatically by e-mail