Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
f64club
f64club began at the beginning.

Device: palm
Identifying PID

I have a mobi file but I do not know the PID.
I have tried using fake PIDs and get the error message -
Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect
I found both argecho & pid_checksum but neither show pid.
How can I find the pid encoded in the file?
Opening in notepad shows 9781101056530 & B0026NBZCG in the header
I would assume it's B0026NBZCG but it doesn't work.
Thanks in advance...

Last edited by f64club; 06-13-2009 at 02:07 AM.
f64club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suggest that you re-download the file from the bookstore at which you bought it; you should be able to see the PID displayed there.

Nobody here is going to help you "pirate" a Mobi file if it isn't one which you've legitimately bought.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There is no method to recover the PID used to encode a mobipocket file from the mobipocket file itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f64club View Post
How can I find the pid encoded in the file?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
f64club

Technically, the file has an azw extension.
I changed it to mobi
I discovered 9781101056530 is the ISBN
So, by default the other number should be the PID.
I used pid_checksum.py and it showed the last two characters changed to 26
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT wait
When I try to strip it it says wrong PID on both CG & 26
Then I change the first two 00's to oo (zeros to letter O) I get a different PID
under pid_checksum, the last two characters change from CG to D3
Even using THAT PID doesn't work.
I am not asking for someone to help Pirate a book, Harry, I bought the book from -
[Link deleted by moderator]
I had a similar problem a few years ago when I bought a book from Diesel eBooks, they had to recode my PID into the file; it took them almost two weeks to do that; I am just trying to shorten that potential waiting period.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-13-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid that looks awfully like a pirated book site to me. Nobody except Amazon can sell DRM-protected AZW books.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-13-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
f64club

Someone once said the same thing about Microsoft .lit books when they first came out back in the mid 90s.
When I had my Casio E125, I found other sellers online who sold .lit books.
Since it is a mobi format book, all you have to do is change the extension from azw to prc.
Since kindle is the flavor of the month right now, who knows what the true format might be?
I'll stick with tried and true .lit & .prc thank you and in a few months when people say "kindle, who?" I'll still be buying and reading my ebooks.
Did someone say Franklin Ebook who? http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Elect.../dp/B00000JSFS

Last edited by f64club; 06-13-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, I think you misunderstand me.

What I am questioning is why you do not know the PID for a DRM-protected Mobipocket book which you have bought. You would have needed to enter the PID of your device at the bookstore before buying it - that's the way the Mobi DRM works. How did you obtain a Mobi file for which you don't know the PID?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
f64club

I've purchased dozens of ebooks from several sites and only had this problem once before - read my second reply.
I am seeing a whole lot of questions from you but not a whole lot of answers.
Do you have a solution, besides your first reply or are you just really bored and have nothing better to do than prowl posts and ask a whole lot of questions without giving any solutions???
I must admit, when I see the reply number increase on my post, it is disheartening to see that no one else has encountered this problem;
The only person replying is Harry
Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I've purchased dozens of ebooks from several sites and only had this problem once before - read my second reply.
I am seeing a whole lot of questions from you but not a whole lot of answers.
Do you have a solution, besides your first reply or are you just really bored and have nothing better to do than prowl posts and ask a whole lot of questions without giving any solutions???
I must admit, when I see the reply number increase on my post, it is disheartening to see that no one else has encountered this problem;
The only person replying is Harry
you can find the PID on the device you want to read the book on.

Let me explain:

You have a device you want to read the book with (this can be a computer, a PDA, a phone or any other dedicated reader). That device has a PID. When you buy a book, you give this PID and that book will be encoded so that only a device with that certain PID can read it. A mobi book can hold up to four PIDs (so you can read it on 4 devices, IF you entered all four PID's when you downloaded the book)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 06-13-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: extra explanation
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No. As I have already explained, you need to enter the PID for your device at the bookstore where you purchased the book. The book will then be encoded for your device, and you will be able to read it. You really should not have any Mobi file for which you do not know the PID, because it's up to you to tell the bookstore what the PID is before you download the file.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
To make it clear.

The only reply to the original post is "NO", it cannot be done as far as I (we) know, there is no way to retrieve the PID from a DRMed mobi file.

Once this is said, the rest of the discussion is around why you should want to do that and whether there could be other ways to achieve the ultimate goal of reading a book you have purchased.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
To make it clear.

The only reply to the original post is "NO", it cannot be done as far as I (we) know, there is no way to retrieve the PID from a DRMed mobi file.
Precisely. The PID is the encryption key, and is not stored in the file.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Harry, since the site linked in this thread is a highly illegal site, I suggest you remove the link.

And to f64club, you got ripped off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
f64club

Jellby, thanks, that's what I needed a simple 'no'
Jswolf, ok, what can I do to shut this person down?
I guess I could whois his address but then what?
Report him to Amazon?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Jellby, thanks, that's what I needed a simple 'no'
Jswolf, ok, what can I do to shut this person down?
I guess I could whois his address but then what?
Report him to Amazon?

misunderstood post........nevermind!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 06-14-2009 at 12:54 AM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote