Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
kindle software mod

hi,

since the source code for the kindle software is open source, i'm thinking it's possible to just add to it the code for compatibility with epub format, for instance. then just repackage and sideload to update on the device.

my question is why has there been no attempt to go this route as opposed to the jailbreak route?

or am i misunderstanding completely.

thanks,
hue
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
hi,

since the source code for the kindle software is open source, i'm thinking it's possible to just add to it the code for compatibility with epub format, for instance. then just repackage and sideload to update on the device.

my question is why has there been no attempt to go this route as opposed to the jailbreak route?

or am i misunderstanding completely.

thanks,
hue
Choice B.

All packages must be signed, and we don't have Amazon's private key.
Which is what a Kindle jail break is, the adding our signature certificate to the Kindle's key storage.

Only those portions of the system that are open source and whose license require the user to release the source they are using are in the source code releases.

That is a minor part of the system, the majority of the Kindle application is Java, and proprietary.

If you need epub, just install our KOreader application.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
thanks. understood.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote