or have managed using JabRef / Papers /Bibdesk. This allows me to add
keywords or tags and to perform searches on these or any aspect of the the
journal article.

What I would like to know if some similar functionality exists on this reader
(or any other for that matter).

With the above management software I could export to these data to a RIS
or Bibtex formatted in order to parse the required information and then
use something like pdftk to insert meta-data into the pdf file if the software
available on the device can take advantage of this.

Many thanks,
Karl
Karl Hauschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
No, there is no such support for working with documents in M92, so far.

I organize articles in a folder structure. The problem is when the document belongs (by its content) to more classes....

Also it is possible to search (probably the folder for a file name).

Would be nice to have some kind of document management you mentioned...

M92 is like a children. It works great for basic task like reading. It works more or less for advanced text tasks, like organizing texts, annotating texts, ..... Let's hope it will grow to an adult...

I do not know who is the target user for M92 from the view of Onyx. Maybe even Onyx doesn't know....

If you know of some free doc management systems, maybe they could be ported to M92 either by Onyx or by Onyx user community.

M92 is an open system. We are not fully dependent on the producer, we may reshape their product to our needs.

It is a nice piece of hardware, so hopefully, the software, now lagging behind, will catch up.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

M92 is like a children. It works great for basic task like reading. It works more or less for advanced text tasks, like organizing texts, annotating texts, ..... Let's hope it will grow to an adult...

I do not know who is the target user for M92 from the view of Onyx. Maybe even Onyx doesn't know....

If you know of some free doc management systems, maybe they could be ported to M92 either by Onyx or by Onyx user community.

M92 is an open system. We are not fully dependent on the producer, we may reshape their product to our needs.

It is a nice piece of hardware, so hopefully, the software, now lagging behind, will catch up.
All the relevant Apps and programs are available on Android, Windows, Apple.
So it is not a mystery what should be implemented into the device.
They are using software they have to develop on their own - something that cannot be done by small company - or a big one.
The other platforms can rely on thousands of contributors, and users pay for the programs they need. For Example Mantano for reading/handling PDFs.
If you know what is out there and have some sense of realism you have to come to the conclusion that "catching up" will never happen.
They seem to be pretty clueless.
Dead end street - proprietary Linux and a small user base.
But I think you gave a pretty good description of the state of things - you could have included PB as well ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Karl Hauschild
Karl Hauschild began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Mono,

Thanks for the reply. If I am forking out 350 euros I'd like something more
sophisticated than the ability to descend a file hierarchy. It must be a combination
of too many things to do in parallel and the loss of grey matter but I absolutely
need the ability to search keywords/tags to find the papers I am after.

Has anyone looked at "I, Library" on the M92 (or PB9XXX) ?

Hi Beryll,

Thanks for your input - can you point me towards a 9.7" Android running
e-reader (not a LCD tablet) ? I looked at Mantano, but did not see how one
would import a bibtex/RIS formatted library listing. So setting this up for
~5000 articles could be a pain, but, after this initial hurdle it looks well polished.

Regards,
Karl
Karl Hauschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hauschild View Post
Hi Mono,

I absolutely need the ability to search keywords/tags to find the papers I am after.

Has anyone looked at "I, Library" on the M92 (or PB9XXX) ?
I would like it too. Do you know any freeware to do the job? If it is a Linux application it might be possible to port it to M92.

Other, not so good, solution is to have the same dir structure in e-book and notebook, PC or whatewer... Locate files on PC, read it in e-reader.

I do not know Android world, but maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to port Android to M92.

EDIT:
I found that JabRef, which you use, is Java application.
http://jabref.sourceforge.net/
It might be possible to run it on M92, or it should not be very difficult to make it run. I do not understand either Java or Linux, so I cannot try it.

Last edited by Mono; 01-28-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Mono
Mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
All the relevant Apps and programs are available on Android, Windows, Apple.

So it is not a mystery what should be implemented into the device.

They are using software they have to develop on their own - something that cannot be done by small company - or a big one.
Which relevant program would you recomend for the task?

What should be implemented into the device? It is mystery for me.

They have developed a fraction of software used in M92. Most of the software is a freeware (look at the About page). They only assembled it together and gave it user interface. Probably also had to write the drivers for screen, digitaizer and button (or used ones provided by producers).

You are right that user interface could be better, that they should include more functionality, that they should make better work on ergonomy of user interface, and so on.

But despite all this, there is not (to my knowledge) better appr. 10" e-ink touchscreen reader. We have two options. Cry and wait for ideal e-ink reader. Or put heads and hands together and use what is on the table.

You know, I come from ex-communist country. It was hard life, but it has tought us to handle any situation and to make the most utility from what is available.

With M92, we have good piece of hardware, we have API and probably complete source codes, there is plenty of free Linux applications. So, to my understanding it is very good start. If there is several people who understand Linux and who will spend their time to reshape M92, than it is not that much impotrant what support will Onyx give to firmware development.