Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Touch
Reconversion File

Not sure if this has ever been covered (I'm really awful when it comes to research), but I was wondering, when reconverting a book (for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. time), which file is used to convert from? The last file converted, the first file converted, or the ORIGINAL_FILE? TIA.
Sassapphras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
original_file if it exists.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

That's slightly frustrating if there are more than three Search & Replace Expressions to replace. How would you work around that issue?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete the original_file
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades

LOL. It's so simple! In that case, if I had mobi and epub already converted, but decided to reconvert them, which file would be used?
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

whichever you specify in the conversion dialog.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassapphras View Post
LOL. It's so simple! In that case, if I had mobi and epub already converted, but decided to reconvert them, which file would be used?
The SINGLE FILE conversion dialog has an Source choice in the upper Left.
It tends to pre-load with the last used or System preference value.

You CAN select alternates at this time
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades

I admit to forgetting about the conversion dialog. Mostly because I rarely convert only one book at a time. But it's definitely nice to know for some of those trickier books that need a lot of editing. Thank you kovid and theducks!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassapphras View Post
I admit to forgetting about the conversion dialog. Mostly because I rarely convert only one book at a time. But it's definitely nice to know for some of those trickier books that need a lot of editing. Thank you kovid and theducks!
Calibre is really NOT an editor. The edits are not expected to do heavy liftyng

If you need to Edit, I suggest Sigil (for EPUB), With the Open With plugin, you can launch Sigil on the book in situ
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
original_file if it exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
delete the original_file
I found this out the other day. When I noticed that I lost the changes I made when tweaking an epub, and then reconverting it afterwards to get it normalized. And Calibre normalized the tweaks so completely they were gone when it was done converting

Luckily it was a simply tweak - for other tweaks I've also spent well over an hour tweaking a horribly formatted book [which had pages missing which I typed in from the paper version].

Wouldn't it be better for the user to be able to select ORIGINAL_EPUB as source format in the dropdown list that's already there, instead of using it implicitely / giving the user no choice?

Deleting the ORIGINAL_EPUB may not always be the right choice either. Doing this would create a new ORIGINAL_EPUB which isn't the original at all, just the previous one...

Maybe we could have ORIGINAL_EPUB (which never gets overwritten, so it's only created before the first conversion in calibre), a PREVIOUS_EPUB (basically an undo feature for a botched convert), and regular EPUB, and be able to select either one when converting.

Just throwing ideas around - don't mind me.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote