Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Time and Windows 7

I've just noticed that whenever I plug my PRS-600 into a Windows 7 machine and perform operations using the Sony software, afterwards my PRS-600 has the time wrong.
The time is one hour forward on the PRS-600, to be precise.
Anyone else notice this? - My PRS-600 and Windows 7 machine are both in Sydney, and the Windows 7 machine has got the right time - and has been set up for Australia (Sydney) time. There is no daylight savings here at the present time.

Last edited by AprilHare; 05-18-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: projecting future ownership of a PRS-900? not likely till they put in a wireless module for oz :)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is that the 600 is honoring USA's daylight savings which may by adjusting the time by an hour. I have no idea if there is a setting to prevent this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
There is no daylight savings here at the present time.
I bet if you checked or unchecked the box under time zones for daylight savings time and changed your clock to be accurate under that condition that everything would be fine... at least until the first Sunday in November.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I would bet that it has to do with the windows time settings.
It could be either the daylight savings time check box dwanthny mentioned or maybe you have accidentally set the wrong time zone but changed the time to your real local time (happened to me before)...
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Windows box shows the correct time though!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Windows box shows the correct time though!
I didn't say what I stated made sense I just bet that it would work. I've run into this occasionally over the years.

The only thing I know for sure is that this isn't a bug it's a feature.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard

Okay, I'm home on my Windows 7 box. It has the correct time set to time zone UTC +10:00 - Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney. Daylight Savings Time begins on Sunday 3 October 2010 at 2AM (due to go forward 1 hour at that time).
It's using servers to sync the time.
In other words, the time is right on the PC
Now, what to do about the PRS-600? It's still a hour ahead..
Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
so all that means is that you can read in the future ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
That explains why I'm reading LOTR
Old 05-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
HaHa. Reading into the future. I like this.

Ok, you could just set the time within the reader. But you would have to set the time everytime you connected to the PC

What about not using Sonys software? I'm not using it. I'm not using Calibre either...
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Okay, I'm home on my Windows 7 box. It has the correct time set to time zone UTC +10:00 - Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney. Daylight Savings Time begins on Sunday 3 October 2010 at 2AM (due to go forward 1 hour at that time).
It's using servers to sync the time.
In other words, the time is right on the PC
Now, what to do about the PRS-600? It's still a hour ahead..
All I'm saying is to change your DST from what it is. Then adjust your clock the hour to the correct time. Now see if the 600 keeps time correctly.

I'm not saying this is right but it has worked in the past.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
All I'm saying is to change your DST from what it is. Then adjust your clock the hour to the correct time. Now see if the 600 keeps time correctly.

I'm not saying this is right but it has worked in the past.
What a hassle! Having to change DST settings that Windows is maintaining correctly!
It seems like a 'hack' or a firmware update is called for..
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
HaHa. Reading into the future. I like this.

Ok, you could just set the time within the reader. But you would have to set the time everytime you connected to the PC

What about not using Sonys software? I'm not using it. I'm not using Calibre either...
And I suppose you're going to tell me what you're actually using now
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Anyone suggest some future reading for me? Just finished LOTR..
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Anyone suggest some future reading for me? Just finished LOTR..
Star Trek eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote