Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Help select our book reading for June. Select one of the following:
Persuasion by Jane Austen 11 18.97%
The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells 9 15.52%
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway 2 3.45%
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott 10 17.24%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 7 12.07%
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 2 3.45%
The Call of the Wild by Jack London 4 6.90%
Discourse on the Method by René Descartes 4 6.90%
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway 2 3.45%
Middlemarch by George Eliot 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'd like Moveable Feast. I've alwáys meant to read it and it's modern, for those who think classics are dry and fusty. But I'm happy to revisit Persuasion as it's been a long time and I'm sure I'll bring greater appreciation to it, so in the absence of support for Feast, I'll vote for Persuasion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm hoping for Persuasion to win. Austin has been on my TBR list for a couple years now. Plus, I'm starting novel 4 (Fields of Dishonor) in the Honor Harrington series. I know that it will be an emotionally taxing read, and I will probably want to take a short break from the series at that point. Persuation would be a perfect "....and now for something completely different" selection.

My 2nd choice is War of the Worlds, another long time TBR selection. I read the first couple of pages last year but couldn't get into it. Maybe already being in a military-scifi mindset might help this time around. *shrug*
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If any of those posters wonder why the voting was originally visible for several hours, I can't help you. I'm not sure myself. When I created the poll, I checked the right box, but soon after I edited the thread name to add "1st" to the title. After I did, I discovered that there were now two threads, one with the new title, and one with the old. Since the old one had no posts yet, I deleted it. I subsequently discovered two more oddities: (1) The voting was now visible, so I changed it. (2) Somehow I was not subscribed to my own thread, and added a subscription.

I don't know if this was something I did, or a glitch in the new MobileRead software, but if it happens again, I'll let Alex know.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-22-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: subscription, not description
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK - put my vote in for The War of the Worlds. I was going to read it next year (yes I'm starting to plan things that far in advance), but I can bring it forward.

Persuasion looks like it's a pretty popular vote too and I wouldn't have a problem reading that one either.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I already have my Jane Austin merit badge. I read Pride and Prejudice before I ever heard of an ereader, and that awful book everyone but me thinks is so cool, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Jane Austen merits rereading!

In truth, though I have P&P and Emma darn near memorized, I've read Persuasion only once that I can remember.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If we have a run off between The War of the Worlds and Persuasion I will be quite content.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Jane Austen merits rereading!

In truth, though I have P&P and Emma darn near memorized, I've read Persuasion only once that I can remember.
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice should be read in the original version with the zombies. I'm glad someone decided to release it that way and not the abridged version without the zombies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #40
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I read Pride and Prejudice before I ever heard of an ereader, and that awful book everyone but me thinks is so cool, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought it was awful. A rare event for me, but I actually gave up reading it part way through (and I'm a zombie fan - maybe it was the Austen bits I didn't like...?).

I also read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith, and that I quite enjoyed.

It goes without saying I'm one of the few hoping Persuasion does not win...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #41
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Where I was hoping for Ivanhoe to win

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought it was awful. A rare event for me, but I actually gave up reading it part way through (and I'm a zombie fan - maybe it was the Austen bits I didn't like...?).

I also read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith, and that I quite enjoyed.

It goes without saying I'm one of the few hoping Persuasion does not win...
I've been meaning to read Dawn of the Dreadfuls. I enjoy Hockensmith's writing. Have you read any of his Holmes on the Range stories?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #43
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've been meaning to read Dawn of the Dreadfuls. I enjoy Hockensmith's writing. Have you read any of his Holmes on the Range stories?
No - sounds intriguing, and I'm off to look it up...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #44
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Well that's interesting...Its Persuasion vs Ivanhoe.

The War of the Worlds missed the run-off by just 1 vote.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #45
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Well that's interesting...Its Persuasion vs Ivanhoe.

The War of the Worlds missed the run-off by just 1 vote.
Yes, I for one did not see that coming.