Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
VHS to DVD conversion

I've got a couple of old VHS tapes of home movies I'd like to get converted to DVD. I do not have a DVD burner though so need to send it out somewhere to do this. Has anyone dealt with a company or service that does this that they can recommend?

This is a wedding video and some video of one of our kids so I need a reliable place to do it.

thanks
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
For 300 bucks you can get a VHS/DVD burner that connects to your cable box and also records television shows / movies.

I got mine at Walmart.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Just buy a stand-alone DVD recorder and hook your VCR into it. It won't cost much (if at all) more than paying someone else to do it, and you will have it for possible future uses.

Here's one for 65 bucks:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...7-FB-R&cpc=SCH
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Hi,
This site gives you an excellent overview on how to do it
http://www.videohelp.com/guides/cate...icles-9;53#399
Also contains info on the tools you can use it and where to get them.
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dave,

As has been said, all your need is the cheapest of DVD recorders, of which you'll find lots in any "home electrical" type store. Simply connect the video player and the DVD recorder with a SCART cable. Set the DVD recorder to record from its SCART input (generally called "AV"). Press "Play" on the video and "Record" on the DVD, and away you go. It couldn't be easier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping for an inexpensive one off solution, but I can everyone's point about getting a recorder as well, then we can keep using it and copyin more of the VHS tapes than just the two I'm thinking of.

Of course, I wish I'd thought of that before we bought the blu ray player a few weeks ago
Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Maybe some sort of Video capture card for your pc/mac would be a cheaper alternative(If you have a dvd burner on your pc already)
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Reading my windows help it appears you need an analog capture device and software to input from a VCR.
Quote:
Video cannot be imported from an analog video camera or VCR when using Import Video or Windows Movie Maker. To import video from an analog video camera or VCR, you need to have an analog video capture device installed on your computer, and then use software that enables you to import video from an analog capture device. For more information, check the documentation that came with your analog capture device or go to the manufacturer's website.
This usually involves converting the analog RCA 'out' from the VCR to digital 'in' to the PC via USB or firewire.

You can then use the software provided with the analog converter or Windows Movie Maker to edit and burn to a DVD with proper theme, title and menu.

You'll need a DVD burner to create a DVD. If you buy a new external or internal DVD burner, player or combo drive make sure it is compatible with your operating system. There are some cheap ones on the market right now but they are not compatible with Windows 7.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 08-12-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Revised to remove solution that wouldn't work
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Reading my windows help it appears you need an analog capture device and software to input from a VCR.

This usually involves converting the analog RCA 'out' from the VCR to digital 'in' to the PC via USB or firewire.

You can then use the software provided with the analog converter or Windows Movie Maker to edit and burn to a DVD with proper theme, title and menu.

You'll need a DVD burner to create a DVD. If you buy a new external or internal DVD burner, player or combo drive make sure it is compatible with your operating system. There are some cheap ones on the market right now but they are not compatible with Windows 7.
I've had a go at this myself in the past, and rapidly came to the conclusion that using a DVD recorder was by far the easiest way to do it. These days if I want to get something onto my PC, I record it on a rewritable DVD, rip it on my PC, and then re-use the DVD.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've had a go at this myself in the past, and rapidly came to the conclusion that using a DVD recorder was by far the easiest way to do it. These days if I want to get something onto my PC, I record it on a rewritable DVD, rip it on my PC, and then re-use the DVD.
I've owned two ATI All-in Wonder video cards with the built-in tuners (and thus the ability to connect a VCR in through the coax antenna connection) and the capture quality on both was underwhelming. Paid several hundred dollars for each, too. I bought one of these (I paid more than $20 for mine) last December but haven't tried it yet-- I need to buy an extra VCR to use with it. Probably a great deal for 6 bucks, but I'd still stick with the stand-alone suggestion.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you're right Harry, I'll go the route of the DVD recorder, all I need is a straight copy no editing involved to that would by far be the easiest.