Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Worried Me
Worried Me began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Global
What Does It Mean ?

I have purchased a Kindle Global and like it very much. When charging the battery I don't know what the message on the screen that says " If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging please eject from your computer. " It also tells you [ when you read the Kindle info on the machine itself ] also to eject after you have finished from the section on your computer where the Kindle file is . I am not very computer literate and don't understand what this
' eject " means . On my PC where the Kindle shows up it only has Audible ,Documents and Music. I can't see anything there that allows you to do anything and can't find the Kindle anywhere else on my PC . I am worried that I am doing the wrong thing by just pulling the plug when I finish charging . I am running XP. Thanks for any help.
Worried Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried Me View Post
I have purchased a Kindle Global and like it very much. When charging the battery I don't know what the message on the screen that says " If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging please eject from your computer. "
This just means that if you want to read your books while charging, then you have to use the 'safely remove hardware' utility on your PC. It is a little grey icon on the bottom of the screen on the right, next to other icons like your internet connection, and other open programmes -it has a green arrow pointing downwards. Right click and your kindle will show (as a USB storage) and you simply need to 'stop' it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried Me View Post
It also tells you [ when you read the Kindle info on the machine itself ] also to eject after you have finished from the section on your computer where the Kindle file is ..
Same thing. Eject does not mean to pull the cable out, it means you need to use the 'safely remove hardware' tool as outlined above. Then you can remove the cable safely.

Another thing you could do is power down the computer to standby and then remove the cable, at least, I think it is ok to do that.

Last edited by Pushka; 01-17-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Worried Me
Worried Me began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Global
Ah , silly me. I see it. Thank you Pushka!
Worried Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
I have so many icons in the tray that the easier way I have found is to go to the Start button, click on Computer and the Kindle should be shown in the list with all of your other "drives". You can right click on the Kindle and select "eject" from the menu. This is with Vista.

I also use Calibre. When I use the eject button next to the Kindle the Kindle will no longer show as connected on the computer but the screen on the Kindle still shows it connected. Hmmmm.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
And not to forget that if you have Vista you have to use the way trough Start button --> Computer --> right klick on Kindle --> "eject"

Using the systray method in the right down corner wouldn't let you use the kindle while charging via PC USB. That just works for XP (maybe Win7 i don't know).
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have Windows 7, my Kindle is charging via USB.. I have ejected the kindle from the taskbar, but cannot use it...???
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Belmana
Belmana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
In Windows 7 you need to follow the same procedure as for Vista.
Click start - computer - then right click on the Kindle and select eject.
Belmana is offline   Reply With Quote