Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
What scanner do you use, recommendations

I'm looking to buy a scanner that will do multi page scanning. Preferrably this will be inexpensive (nothing in the £1000+ mark or anywhere near thanks) and I'm not too bothered whether it comes as part of a printer or as an add on. What I'm looking to do is scan in my old pBooks (the ones that don't look like they reach the market soonish) and I'll be ripping up my pbooks in the process.

I've been scanning my pbooks so far with the scanner integrated into a crappy HP PSC 1300 all-in-one printer. But this is laborious and can often go wrong, meaning I have to rescan pages, hence the new scanner needed.

Do you scan in your pbooks? Do you have any recommendations? I'd love to know your experiences.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've been considering whether to get a used Canon DR-2050 from ebay. I've worked with Canon drum scanners in the past and really liked them, and I want something fairly portable.

I already have a small flatbed scanner--a Canon LiDE (they're up to 80 now; I think mine is a 30 or 60) that works great on book covers and pages that are too delicate to run through a feeder, but it's slow. It's about 1 minute/page for 300 dpi color, half a minute for 300 dpi black & white.

Right now, I usually scan pbooks on a Fujitsu 5750-C, at work, which as far as I can tell Fujitsu no longer makes (the new version is the 6770, which might be available for as little as $6000). I don't recommend acquiring one of those for personal scanning projects; I use it 'cos it's there at work and they don't mind as long as I don't get in the way of work projects.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You may want to have a look at this. Kofax are a distributor I have used in the past and cover devices from 10's of pages a minute to 100's of pages a minute. You may want to look at the Visoneer and Xerox.

I have been out of it a fair while so not positive what the pricing is like but those and the low end Fujitsu scanners should be pretty good.

To get a feel for pricing I sometimes use www.tradescanners.com as they let you search by price and basic features. I have never purchased from them so cannot pass comment on their service etc.

Hope this helps

Pev
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap 300. It is page fed and can scan both sides at once. You can only feed about 8-10 pages at a time, but you can continue to feed pages to the same pdf and merge pdfs. It cost in the neighborhood of $250 a year or so ago. Check out the reviews at Amazon.
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I needed a scanner that is both portable and easy to use. I decided for the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200, which works very well for me (and it's inexpensive).

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17103

I am not sure if it's sufficient for more heavy duty stuff, like regularly scanning pbooks, but it's worth a look.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I use an opitscan 3600 for hardbacks and a cheap Cannon printer for paperbacks. I use IRIS 11 for OCR.

Remember, the time and real work is in the OCR clean-up.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmama View Post
I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap 300. It is page fed and can scan both sides at once. You can only feed about 8-10 pages at a time, but you can continue to feed pages to the same pdf and merge pdfs. It cost in the neighborhood of $250 a year or so ago. Check out the reviews at Amazon.
I agree that one of the Scansnap series is a good way to go. I have one in the 400s and it does an excellent job. One caveat - it is not TWAIN compliant which may be a drawback for other general uses. I got mine strictly for book scanning, which brings us to another drawback - the book must be first separated into pages to use it. I purchased a professional grade manual paper cutter for this purpose. Good price on ebay for the cutter. A final note - cheaper paper back books do not have the same high quality of print as better hard back books. This shows up in the OCR process.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm watching this thread with interest...I so need a better scanning setup. The first and only book scanning project I did I used our all in one HP. Used the built in OCR, and regretted it. For some reason the left side pages came out nearly perfect, and the right side pages were gobbledygook.
I was looking at the bkrpr setup (www.bkrpr.org) as maybe being a feasible solution. But it would involve a good OCR software.

I want something non destructive, so a flatbed scanner or a camera setup like bkrpr are about my only solutions that don't cost an arm, leg, and kidney.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I agree that one of the Scansnap series is a good way to go. I have one in the 400s and it does an excellent job. One caveat - it is not TWAIN compliant which may be a drawback for other general uses. I got mine strictly for book scanning, which brings us to another drawback - the book must be first separated into pages to use it. I purchased a professional grade manual paper cutter for this purpose. Good price on ebay for the cutter. A final note - cheaper paper back books do not have the same high quality of print as better hard back books. This shows up in the OCR process.
I've been considering getting a duplex sheet-fed scanner to digitize some of my manga/comics so I can put them in storage or something. My mom's been complaining about the amount of books and DVDs I have and I don't think she even knows about the ones hidden underneath the couch and the bed.

I was going for the S300 for its size but your post has given me pause. I doubt I'll be needing any of the OCR functions, but I need it to scan images in at least 300dpi to JPEG format. How well suited is the Fujitsu Scansnap and accompanying software for this type of application? At my old job, IrfanView + Xerox Documate worked pretty well for our office's batch scanning needs (don't think it's duplex, though). My problem is I don't have the space for a big scanner, otherwise, I'd have gone with the less destructive OptiBook. The Scanscap S300 looks like it might fit my needs, but the lack of TWAIN support means I'm going to be reliant on Fujitsu software. So, you guys think this might be a good choice?

Another question, what's the difference between the S300 and the S300 Deluxe Bundle? From what I've noticed, the bundle seems to have additional software that I likely won't need. Is that the only thing that's different?

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote