Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
[SOLVED]Paperwhite Disgust

Often I feel like smashing my Kindle Paperwhite (first gen) into a wall. Along with being slow and unresponsive, it has a pathetic amount of storage, 2 gigs I think. Likely this will end up on Ebay, and I will probably get me a new e-ink reader by Christmas. I have a Nook Simple Touch without a light that I'm impressed with, but don't have enough confidence in B&N to buy another device from them. Perhaps the newer Paperwhite is better, but thinking I don't want to roll the dice with them again. I see Kobo is mentioned here a lot.
What would you suggest for an e-ink reader with a light that also has a decent amount of book storage space?
Thanks!

Edit:
Marking this post as "solved" since Amazon is sending me a replacement Paperwhite. Also, thanks to suggestions, will probably get a Kobo Glo to hold all my ebooks.

Last edited by conan50; 06-26-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Solved
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Where do you live and what do you read?

If 2G isn't enough for you, I'm guessing that you may be a graphic novel reader, or possibly a reader of large/complicated PDFs. If so, I'd suggest thinking pretty hard before settling on an eink reader (reconsider and reconsider again looking at a midsize or larger tablet). If you only read smaller-format manga type GNs, to consider the Kobo Aura and the larger eink readers out of Europe/Asia. Poke around the hundreds of "What reader for PDFs?" threads for more info. But seriously? If you want huge storage + fast + responsive, a tablet is for you. No eink reader is as responsive as an iPad.

If you're a novel reader and just want to keep more than a couple thousand with you, there are a few readers that take a microSD card. Most of the Kobos can also be modified, by the more adventurous who don't mind voiding a warranty, to take a larger internal SD card.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Paperwhite has a much better reputation regarding speed than the Nook...

As far as the memory goes: To quote myself on a different thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And since the 3.5GB in the Kindle Touch can hold about 3,000 average-sized books, you don't need expandable memory. If you read 100 books A DAY you will still have one month of reading on your Kindle. At a more reasonable but still exorbitant 3 books a day, you will have nearly 3 YEARS worth. I'm sure somewhere along the way you can get to a computer and swap them for new ones.
(Same logic applies to every other eReader, including the Kindle Paperwhite which has (shudder) a measly 1.5 GB and about a year's worth of books.)
So if you're going to give up on the Paperwhite just because of that, well, .

But many people enjoy their Kobo for much better reasons, because Kobo is much more customizable than the Kindle. It depends if you actually value that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Often I feel like smashing my Kindle Paperwhite (first gen) into a wall. Along with being slow and unresponsive, it has a pathetic amount of storage, 2 gigs I think.
"Pathetic"? The PW will hold well over 1000 typical-sized novels. That's more than enough for the overwhelming majority of people. If you need more, you can store them in Amazon's Cloud and download them at any time.

Can't say I've ever found it to be "slow and unresponsive". What are you comparing it to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Pathetic"? The PW will hold well over 1000 typical-sized novels. That's more than enough for the overwhelming majority of people. If you need more, you can store them in Amazon's Cloud and download them at any time.
Quite. The only reader I have ever used the SD slot of was my original Cybook Gen3, which had a measly 64M of internal flash. And with my Chambers dictionary alone weighing in at something like 40M already, that was cramped.

But even the Gen3 had 512M in later versions, and the 'Gold edition' even had 1GB, IIRC.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with you, but I also understand that not everyone wants their books stored on the cloud, and many want to carry their whole library -- physically -- with them. So, to each their own on that. But what I don't understand is, how did this memory limitation go unnoticed when the OP bought his Paperwhite in the first place? It's not exactly hidden.

My NST and T2 both have microSD slots, but so far I haven't used one. That may change on the Simple Touch because I'm side-loading more and more books to it and it has -- I believe -- a 512 Meg capacity for side-loaded books.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My NST and T2 both have microSD slots, but so far I haven't used one. That may change on the Simple Touch because I'm side-loading more and more books to it and it has -- I believe -- a 512 Meg capacity for side-loaded books.
Yes, that's correct; the internal memory on the ST is partitioned, with 75% of it reserved for B&N content.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Edit: It is surprising how quickly you can fill up an ereader. I had the Kindle Keyboard as soon as it came out, and have been adding ebooks since then. I never filled up the Kindle Keyboard, and may end up regretting selling that one. Probably the best Kindle ereader ever for the price.
I have lots of Bibles, study Bibles in particular, and a few pdf files, and several hundred ebooks. Last night my Paperwhite said it was out of memory. Honestly never expected it would run out of memory as most ebooks are rather small in size. Maybe I just got a crappy paperwhite, but it is slow and unresponsive, sometimes having to tap the screen 3 times to get it to work. I reset it last night, still works poorly, worse than even cheap tablets IMO. Probably the physical buttons on my Nook make it seem more responsive.
I like the longer lasting battery on the e-ink devices or I probably would just use a tablet, plus easier on the eyes.

Last edited by conan50; 06-16-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Many people on the Amazon customer forums report sluggish response when they have a lot of books loaded on their device.

My problem with having hundreds of books on mine is that I hate having to scroll through so many pages of books on my home screen, with no info except author and title.

My solution is to use Calibre to store and and transfer books to and from the device by usb as I need them. I seldom have more than a dozen or so books on any of my devices: a few reference books, those books I'm currently reading, and the next few in my TBR pile.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
Many people on the Amazon customer forums report sluggish response when they have a lot of books loaded on their device.

My problem with having hundreds of books on mine is that I hate having to scroll through so many pages of books on my home screen, with no info except author and title.

My solution is to use Calibre to store and and transfer books to and from the device by usb as I need them. I seldom have more than a dozen or so books on any of my devices: a few reference books, those books I'm currently reading, and the next few in my TBR pile.
I like Calibre.
I set up several Collections with one "Read Now" collection. I like having access to all my books, and don't like the hassle of moving books on and off of the device.
It doesn't look like there are many options with Sony out of play and Nook having a questionable future. I thought Kobo might be a good option, but seeing some scary things regarding its support and quality reported on the net. I guess I will put up with the Paperwhite for now, and maybe get a Nexus tablet down the road.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Maybe I just got a crappy paperwhite, but it is slow and unresponsive
You've presumably checked to see if it's got stuck indexing? That can result in poor performance.

Go to the "Home" page, tap the "Search" button, and type in some nonsense string. If it comes back and says "X items not yet indexed", you have a problem. Delete the offending books and re-add them.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
You've presumably checked to see if it's got stuck indexing? That can result in poor performance.

Go to the "Home" page, tap the "Search" button, and type in some nonsense string. If it comes back and says "X items not yet indexed", you have a problem. Delete the offending books and re-add them.
Thanks. It's not stuck indexing and a reset with no new books showed no difference. It feels like the CPU is choking, not all the time, just sporadically. And sometimes it feels like the touch ability just stopped. Probably the kind of quality interface I want is going to be in a decent tablet.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Have you used a device with a capacitive touchscreen before? It does take a definite "press" to register the contact, and it takes a bit of practice to figure out what works and what doesn't. If you deliberately and firmly tap the screen and it regularly doesn't register, your device may be faulty.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Edit: It is surprising how quickly you can fill up an ereader. I had the Kindle Keyboard as soon as it came out, and have been adding ebooks since then. I never filled up the Kindle Keyboard, and may end up regretting selling that one. Probably the best Kindle ereader ever for the price.
I have lots of Bibles, study Bibles in particular, and a few pdf files, and several hundred ebooks. Last night my Paperwhite said it was out of memory. Honestly never expected it would run out of memory as most ebooks are rather small in size. Maybe I just got a crappy paperwhite, but it is slow and unresponsive, sometimes having to tap the screen 3 times to get it to work. I reset it last night, still works poorly, worse than even cheap tablets IMO. Probably the physical buttons on my Nook make it seem more responsive.
I like the longer lasting battery on the e-ink devices or I probably would just use a tablet, plus easier on the eyes.
Almost all readers I have used are a bit iffy when the memory is close to full. Best bet IMO is to use calibre to sort your books by size and remove several of the largest.

Better to have a functional reader than every book perhaps.

Only readers I have used that function as well totally full are the Sony x50. My Sony PRS3 slows down marginally with more than 7 gig on the SD card while the 650 worked just fine. Luckily I don't need 7 Gig of books (I was just filling it up with misc. stuff to see if it choked) but I do like to have anything I might want to read available. Why torture myself getting up in the middle of the night to put on that book I want to read but I would rather do that than have sluggish page turns etc.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Have you used a device with a capacitive touchscreen before? It does take a definite "press" to register the contact, and it takes a bit of practice to figure out what works and what doesn't. If you deliberately and firmly tap the screen and it regularly doesn't register, your device may be faulty.
I think the device may be buggy.