Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
alethiophile
alethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
sshd will not start in usbnetwork mode

I recently started trying to use usbnetwork again. (I have to reinstall the install.bin file for it periodically, because if I accidentally take the Kindle off airplane mode then a firmware update usually happens, and that undoes usbnetwork.) After reinstalling, the usbnetwork bit worked fine; however, sshd did not start. Accessing it via telnet, I found that attempting to manually start sshd yields "/mnt/us/usbnet/empty must be owned by root and not group- or world-writable".

/mnt/us/usbnet/empty, of course, exists, but is set mode 777. chmod will not work on it, because the filesystem is fat32. /mnt/us is some kind of odd bind mount of /mnt/base-us, but in the latter, umask is set to 022, and so group and world cannot write anywhere. I can't find a way to make the bind mount (fuse.fsp, whatever that is) do the same thing.

How should this be fixed? How was it ever working in the first place? Did something change?
alethiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Dunno about that, but have you tried the BackDoorLock hack or An easier way to disable auto-updates?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@alethiophile: I should have fixed that a good while ago, which version of USBnet are you using?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
alethiophile
alethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy bluealethiophile can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Uh...'the one I downloaded when I got this Kindle', I think. The file is 'update_usbnet_0.6.N_install.bin'.

And thanks for the pointers to disabling auto-updates. I'll look into that once I get sshd fixed.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@alethiophile: That is terribly old, which explains why it's not working .
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
alethiophile

Okay, having installed the newest version SSH now works.

It seems to still start the telnetd, even though both USE_WIFI and USE_OPENSSH are true. How do you forestall that?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@alethiophile: You don't . If it really bothers you, comment the call in the usbnetwork script.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #8
alethiophile

Okay. (Does the telnetd not listen on wifi, then? It seems quite the hole otherwise.)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alethiophile View Post
Okay. (Does the telnetd not listen on wifi, then? It seems quite the hole otherwise.)
Did you run:
lsof | grep tel
on your machine?
What did it say about telnet sockets?

Did you try to connect via telnet over wifi?
What happened?

If you did connect over wifi, did telnetd ask you for a password?

This additional information would help us understand the problem you are seeing as a "hole".

Here is an example of the lsof output, filtered by grep, (for sshd, not telnet, and on a non-kindle machine, but the listing format will be the same):
Code:
sshd       1304       root    3u     IPv4       9587      0t0        TCP *:ssh (LISTEN)
sshd       1304       root    4u     IPv6       9589      0t0        TCP *:ssh (LISTEN)
I.E: The above machine has two network sockets open (IPv4 and IPv6) using TCP protocol, listening on all (*) address:port=ssh combinations.

If you find telnet listening on the address (or all addresses) of the Wifi interface, then check your firewall incoming (state=new) rules for the Telnet port on that Wifi interface.
Since it does the program no good to listen, if packets can't get through your firewall.

Last edited by knc1; 01-25-2014 at 08:33 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@alethiophile: The telnet port is behind the default firewall over WiFi .