Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo eBook Shopping Cart

For those of you who have comments on the Kobo eBook store:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
JC; Any idea if we will ever see the ability to buy multiple books at one time? Some customers have led us to believe that you will loose all their business without that feature.
I don't have a specific timeline, but we know people are looking for it.

I don't want to take over a Vox thread with store topics, but I'd love to get PMs from people who really want 'eBook shopping cart'-type features so I can better understand the ask.
So folks who have comments, please either discuss here OR as JCKobo requested, forward thoughts directly to him.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
For those of you who have comments on the Kobo eBook store:

So folks who have comments, please either discuss here OR as JCKobo requested, forward thoughts directly to him.
One thing that would be really nice is to be able to have more then one book in the shopping cart at a time so the one time use discount codes work for multiple eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
So, Jon, you want a 20% off one use discount code to work multiple times----hummmm-----are you hoping to put Kobo out of business entirely?

Last edited by taming; 10-27-2011 at 07:17 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I think the main issue is that those discount codes don't work for all books. So this complicates the checkout process if you have multiple books in your cart. Also they do not want to allow the total of multiple books to have the discount code applied. I mean 30 percent off a large order is a big chunk of change.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
So, Jon, you want a 20% off one use discount code to work multiple times----hummmm-----are you hoping to put Kobo out of business entirely?
Also, if I want to buy multiple eBooks, I'd have to do so each time separately using PayPal. That's not all that convenient.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to agree.. Buying via PayPal the ability to place multiple books in a cart and then check out once is a must.

I would also like the ability for the store to "auto apply" codes; ie: allow me to associate multiple shopping codes (if they exist) with a transaction; then, have the backend "automagically" apply the codes where they would do most good to the customer.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The problem I have with the current system is that I was once left with a de-activated CC the day after I had purchased a dozen books. (The dozen identical chargers were deemed suspicious.)

Only a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, but I think rather silly.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The problem I have with the current system is that I was once left with a de-activated CC the day after I had purchased a dozen books. (The dozen identical chargers were deemed suspicious.)

Only a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, but I think rather silly.
This would not be a minor inconvenience to me!
Infact this is the main reason I want a shopping cart - so that all the individual books come through as one transaction rather than many - especially when I'm buying cheap books it really frustrates me to have 5 or 6 or more 99 cent charges instead of one charge.
You can get around it by purchasing a gift card and using that but a shopping cart would be better.

Last edited by HarleyB; 10-28-2011 at 05:41 AM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
The Kobo store shopping cart is one of the silliest I have experienced. Every other online purchase that I make at any other retailer's website lets me buy more than one thing at a time. I have no desire to keep scrolling through screens just so that I can buy a number of books at the same time. Instead, Kobo makes me buy one by one by one, taking a longer amount of my time to buy these books all in a row rather than all at once.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

How do most people buy books? From their PC and a web browser to kobobooks.com (or another branded version), from Kobo Desktop, or from the Touch itself?

I've bought a few from the Touch but mostly from the website.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I agree that problems with credit cards (and Paypal) should pressure e-tailers to go with the shopping cart model. This one item per purchase Kobo currently uses is a pain in the ass, but not more problematic for me because I have yet to make more than 5 purchases in one day at Kobo.

It seems odd that a forward-thinking company like Kobo has such difficulties with creating an e-store that's more user-friendly.

add:
I purchase epubs only from my PC, on various websites.

Last edited by winsomnia; 10-28-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: to reply to PeterT
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
How do most people buy books? From their PC and a web browser to kobobooks.com (or another branded version), from Kobo Desktop, or from the Touch itself?
Bought a few via the KT, but most of them through the website.

... Which actually allows me to ask a tangentially related question: does the Kobo Android app recognise store credit? Whenever I've started the checkout process via the app, I've stopped once it looks like the app will charge my CC, e.g. 'your credit card will be charged $7.99 AUD'. No mention of store credit is made, whereas with the KT and the website, the checkout process will recognise if you have any store credit and deduct the cost from there.

Anyway. A shopping cart would be much appreciated. I've actually had my CC company call me multiple times because I'll buy one book after another and it apparently is suspicious to them. It would also be nice to avoid multiple transaction fees. As Harley mentions though, there's the gift card option which helps to some degree.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I mainly buy from my PC and I agree that the main problem (aside of storing emails, I'm a mail hoarder, I agree ) is the CC issue. I've already experimented too and it's a problem. I agree that it's a CC company problem, not Kobo, but shopping cart would be a nice plus for me.

And kaikara, to check which coupon apply to which books shouldn't complicate the checkout process at all (it's not a complicated software task, I'm sure about it).

And, if they want the coupons apply only a book, I think it should be able you to choose the book (more expensive, of course )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #14
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
In addition I would think that it would be in Kobo.com's interest to use a shopping cart and charge a CC only once.. I understand merchants must pay a minimum fee per transaction (e.g. $.75) and add a percentage of the cost of the purchase.. So for example if you purchase 3 $.99 ebooks separately the transaction fee is $2.25 ($.75 * 3) and the CC company takes 2% ($.06), Kobo.com makes profit of only $.66.. If a shopping cart is used and a single transaction of $2.97 is made on the CC the transaction fee is $.75 and $.06 for the CC 2% cut, Kobo.com makes profit of $2.16.. Even if the transaction fee is lower the situation is the same, kobo.com would make a larger profit if they didn't have to make so many 1 ebook transactions.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #15
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I find the search facility pretty useless. It would be nice to be able to specify searching in English only- indeed why does what is supposed to be a UK store return results in all sorts of foreign languages? I did a search for "George Martin" and found the German (I think) version of Game of Thrones 2nd top of my result list. We speak English, not German, in the UK, so why is this happening?
On top of that, if it can't find the book you requested instead of saying "no result found" it spams you with 1000's of irrelevant "results".
I find Amazon much easier to use and much more user friendly. Its nice to get further suggestions based on the boook/author you have just been looking at, and really helpful to see reviews of the book from other users.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote