Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
*sigh* Need that backlight

Well, I've had my PRS-650 since late December and have read a number of ePubs on it. Here are my impressions:

Firstly, I've only been reading ePubs and not any other formats so my comments will apply to reading ePubs only.

I find the contrast between the text and the background to be inadequate unless I am in a brightly lit room or outside in open shade or, of course, broad daylight (where the contrast is phenomenal). When I read in bed I have to angle the shade so that I get direct lighting (directly from the light bulb) onto the screen. This has been a pain in the arse (and spine) because of the way I have to angle the shade and the 650. In indirect lighting (my great room has clerestory windows and light reflects off the angled ceiling), the lighting just isn't enough (whereas it's plenty for reading a paper book).

As for the user interface of reading (which is just a button push or a swipe on the screen), either method works just fine. On rare occasions the next page button doesn't seem to have an effect but I may not be pressing it far enough; an second push always turns the page so I have to assume it's just me. It's not annoying.

Text style and size: Well, this is a very individual issue; some people like some fonts while hating others. I may be wrong but it looks like the font choice may be in the ePub file (or maybe there isn't a choice at all?) but the choice of size is more than adequate. I'm using the "medium" size setting and it's quite readable.

However, this is where the problem comes up: Once I have the size set to medium, it seems like I'm only seeing about 1/3 of a page of text (comparing it to a paperback). Setting the size to small displays more text but, unfortunately, it's not readable ("comfortably readable" may be a better term).

I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged and it seemed like I had to turn the page three times before the page numbers at the bottom of the screen actually changed.

Admittedly, this is not a huge issue and, if it were the only thing, I might be able to live with it...but that inadequate contrast issue has sort of soured me.

I do have an iPad and reading on that device is fine as long as you adjust the brightness to suit the surroundings but I would like a smaller, lighter device, as well.

So I put the 650 up on eBay and, when it sells, I'll probably go for the Nook Color as the resolution is 1200x600 (unlike the other, cheaper 7" readers which are only 800x600). I played with one down at BestBuy and was impressed.

I'm sure future e-ink readers will solve the contrast issue.

Last edited by rumplestiltskin; 03-25-2011 at 01:32 AM.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I imagine Eink willl never satisfy you contrastwise.... the 650 is an excellent machine but in my opinion very different from a tablet....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Unfortunately, eInk is not your cuppa.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
If you had tried it with a cover and light, or a proprietry book light, you'd probably still have it, either work really well.

I have heard that the problem with colour is it increases charging requirement time a lot.
Perhaps I'm wrong ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'll admit if I had my druthers, some type of backlight or sidelight that comes from around where the infrared is, would be the only extra feature I'd want on my 350. It would definitely have to have an on/off switch to it though. If it was a constant on light, I'd opt for the 350 as is.

But right now to give up the e-ink screen, the long battery life, the short recharge time, there's no way I'd take that over the e-ink screen. I'm perfectly happy using a booklight when needed, the Sony cover with light is great. Or the Mighty Bright Flex lights (TravelFlex is even bright enough and takes only 1 battery as the Sony cover does) are great also with smaller covers without a light, I've used both.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'll admit if I had my druthers, some type of backlight or sidelight that comes from around where the infrared is, would be the only extra feature I'd want on my 350. It would definitely have to have an on/off switch to it though. If it was a constant on light, I'd opt for the 350 as is.
That's why my next eink reader will be a Sony 750, that is if Sony ever decides to update their 700, which I use more than any of my other eink readers.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
Although costly, Sony's cover with light works very well in low light conditions.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
The now discontinued PRS 700 had built in side lights. I have had two over the last few years and would never switch. Although the display is murcky due to the extra glass layer the light allows me to read in any situation. Hard to find now as only occassionaly does one shows up on eBay.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree Bro Pete--I have the lighted cover for my 650 and I love it!! But, for some reason Sony doesn't seem to sell the lighted covers for the 650 any more--I'm very glad I purchased mine when I got my 650!!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote