Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
rufusandricky
rufusandricky began at the beginning.

Device: none
The synopsis.

Hello,
If I might take a moment to give you little background about me.
I'm currently writing my first book; a childrens fairy story. I have had all sorts of difficulties, mainly; grammar and punctuation, happily these are now in the main, resolved, thanks to the internet.
The one thing that still needs mastering though is the dreaded synopsis, I just don't seem able come to grips with writing in the present tense, third person.Of course I've taken on board "he", "she", "it", or "they", but actually transcribing the stories over view is driving me crazy.Therefore before I am forced to take up Origami,again,could some kind sole offer a hand.

R&R
rufusandricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Well ... do you have to write in the present tense, third person?

Even if you do, initially write it in whatever tense and person works best for you, then convert it.

Also, you need to put spaces after commas and periods, understand the difference between a sole and a soul, learn what semicolons do (hint: not what you're making them do!), and stop doing that thing with the comma splices. Frankly, if your post is any example of your writing, you're not ready for a synopsis yet.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
R&R

Welcome to Mobileread ....

Try a friendly reviewer, for starters, and then take a more professional approach.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Do you mean a synopsis or a blurb? Are you submitting to NY or thinking of going Indie?
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
In my opinion it's somewhat hard to do both a summary and a blurb. But what I've found really helpful is to get someone else to read it, then sit down with you and the two of you make out a story outline. For a blurb it needs to be very short and to the point. For a summary it needs to hit all the high points without going crazy.

Sometimes, if you can't write one yourself (especially if you're like me and you're too close to the story), it's just better to let someone else write these for you as they'll be a little more conservative and succinct in their descriptions.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
rufusandricky

The synopsis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Well ... do you have to write in the present tense, third person?

Even if you do, initially write it in whatever tense and person works best for you, then convert it.

Also, you need to put spaces after commas and periods, understand the difference between a sole and a soul, learn what semicolons do (hint: not what you're making them do!), and stop doing that thing with the comma splices. Frankly, if your post is any example of your writing, you're not ready for a synopsis yet.
Hello Curmudgeon.
Thanks for your constructive observations, all points noted and taken on board. I'm not sure I understand difference between a sole and a soul
I do agree, I am not yet ready to submit a synopsis of my work and that’s why I posted this thread, It’s a new venture for me and I should point out that a year ago, I didn't even know the difference between an adverb and a proverb! I'm using "Word 2007" and haven’t really used the grammar function to full effect; do you think that this function in "Word" is up to professional scrutiny? Or perhaps I should have the final manuscript and the synopsis corrected by a professional?
Thanks again for your time and May I say that I found your reply very helpful.

R&R
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
rufusandricky

Thank you.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
rufusandricky

Hello again.
I forgot to mention its to be writen in the present tense, third person.

R&R
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
rufusandricky

The Synopsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
In my opinion it's somewhat hard to do both a summary and a blurb. But what I've found really helpful is to get someone else to read it, then sit down with you and the two of you make out a story outline. For a blurb it needs to be very short and to the point. For a summary it needs to hit all the high points without going crazy.

Sometimes, if you can't write one yourself (especially if you're like me and you're too close to the story), it's just better to let someone else write these for you as they'll be a little more conservative and succinct in their descriptions.
Thanks,I'm thinking along those lines.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
rufusandricky

The synopsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Edwards View Post
Do you mean a synopsis or a blurb? Are you submitting to NY or thinking of going Indie?
Hello.
Synopsis.
I'm a long way from submitting although India does have a certain appeal,do you have any feedback on Indian Publishers?

R&R
Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusandricky View Post
I'm not sure I understand difference between a sole and a soul
A sole is a fish. Sole can also mean single as in "the sole reason for doing something" == the only reason. A soul is generally regarded as the spiritual part of the species laughingly known as homo sapiens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusandricky View Post
I'm using "Word 2007" and haven’t really used the grammar function to full effect; do you think that this function in "Word" is up to professional scrutiny? Or perhaps I should have the final manuscript and the synopsis corrected by a professional?
I speak as one who has not used them since the last century. I do/would not trust them. They would pretty much have to be too rigid for use by a writer although they might be okay for a drafter of laws and bureaucratese. Think about the usefulness of spill chuckers, for example: they will give you the green light on both "there" and "their" and possibly also "they're" in the sentence "This is their house". All three are spelt correctly but only one is correctly used.

And yes, I think you would be advised to have both at least looked at by a professional.

Why are you thinking about publishing in India, btw? Are you from there or does your planned novel have special relevance to India?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote