Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Amazon Kindle may promote competition - Sony Reader not before end of year?

I received a note from Nick Hampshire of Afaics Research today about Amazon's rumored plan to launch their own e-book reader. From the note:

Quote:
It would appear that the Kindle is being made for Amazon by Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co. Ltd. of Taiwan (one of the largest manufacturers of barebones PCs), and judging by the specs we can expect this to be priced at a level that will probably undercut Sony’s new EBR-500 reader set for launch in the US at the end of this year.

The submission also outlined a proposed Kindle Store within Amazon that would allow Kindle owners to buy and download e-books. This is obviously aimed at being a direct competitor to the SonyCONNECT store.

Not surprisingly Amazon are silent upon the subject of the Kindle, but the arrival of an Amazon branded e- reader and associated store will inject a lot more competition into the marketplace, something that should be welcomed by readers and publishers alike.
I put off writing about this because I wasn't ready in my heart to accept it, but did you notice that Nick mentioned "end of this year" as the new launch date for the Sony Reader?

Totally unrelated: Some evil doers have defaced the Website of Afaics' sister Website Digital Publishing News.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Where'd he get that model number? The new Sony Reader PRS-500.

Wasn't EBR-500 the model for the prototype of the EBR-1000 (i.e. the Librié)?

While I don't mean to argue with Nick, and certainly meaning him no disrespect, I believe I'll stick with PC Mag's report of by the end of October. I haven't seen anything to contradict it that isn't based on the assumption that "the holidays" means Christmas or New Year's.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My first impression was how incredibly ugly this thing must be. But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it's a bad picture of it. It's no doubt a bit clunky, but it might fit a niche for people that need an e-ink device with a keyboard, and not a touch screen.

On the other hand, for typical reading like a novel, it seems like the keyboard might be a little annoying.

I guess we won't know until someone holds it in their hands and let's us know what it's really like. The good thing is that every new device helps move e-ink readers forward, and the more they get into the mainstream, the better for all of us e-book fans.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Bob, the ugliness is the first thing I saw too. I don't care how functional it is, it has to look good before I am going to buy it.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Ugly? It's butt-ugly!
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I prefer the term "Hideous"
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about ghastly?

(This could be fun)
Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Cheesy?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
At the right price ... I can do with an ugly bride ....
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Keep it going guys! They have to read us, that will make them change the case design.
It looks like an old office phone...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

I wouldn't want to be caught in bed with that!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Laurens
Jah Blessed

My grandmother's e-reader looked less retro!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
I wouldn't want to be caught in bed with that!
It won't matter unless you have frontlighting.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Can they actually launch it? I mean, this is patented technology, we are getting a authorised screen for Europe (the iLiad), some for China (where intelectual property is fuzzy bussiness), one for Japan (Librie) and one for the USA (again Sony). Did the people of Sony forgot to buy exclusivity for USA? Are amazon guys planning to sell it from a mail store company in Brasil or something so?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

I expect they're getting their displays from the same place Sony, HanLin and iRex are getting theirs, if that's what you mean ....

Ah, now I get what you're saying. I don't think Sony could buy 'exclusivity' if they wanted to -- we have anti-monopoly laws here in the U.S. (and I don't mean the board game!)

Besides, the e-Ink corporation has to want as many buyers for the product as they can manage, so they'd certainly be unhappy if PVI started trying to sell monopolies.

Last edited by NatCh; 09-20-2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo