Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
mjsalman
mjsalman began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
Exclamation Cannot load scientific american pdf file

I am a sbuscriber to Scientific American Digital. I can download the pdf file andusing Caliber viewer I can view it. But if I attempt to send it to a device, It shows working and progress shows unavailable. I waited over 10 minutes and ended up having to close the program. Has someone encountered this problem and know how to get around it. I also tried converting the file to epub format. Same problem
Any help will be greatly appreciated
mjsalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Try not using Calibre; you should just be able to copy your pdf file to the device. The device shows up as a removable disk. Copy and paste works. You can browse to the directory that contains your other documents to do the paste.

If you have problems using the external memory card try the internal memory. It shows up as a different removable disk.

If the Sony Library is running at the same time as Calibre nothing will work right.

Robert

I doubt if your problem is related to Calibre; more likely a usb issue or bad external memory card.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
mjsalman

Thanks for your help. I disabled Sony Library and pasted the file directly to the reader. When I ltry to read it It does not work. It seems to have something to do with copy protection. I contacted Scientific American and they have no plans to support e-readers.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Did you paste it to "database/media/books" on the reader? That is the folder books and document go to, they will not show up anywhere else.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
mjsalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsalman View Post
Thanks for your help. I disabled Sony Library and pasted the file directly to the reader. When I ltry to read it It does not work. It seems to have something to do with copy protection. I contacted Scientific American and they have no plans to support e-readers.
I pasted it to that directory. It appears on the list of books. But when I open it for reading it gives me a message that page is protected or inaccessible.
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Have you tried placing the document on a Memory Stick using a card reader?
That used to be the only way I could get anything (pdfs or otherwise) on my 505 before Sony offered Mac support.
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Did you paste it to "database/media/books" on the reader? That is the folder books and document go to, they will not show up anywhere else.
When I've dragged-and-dropped, I just plop it onto the "drive", not in any folder, and it's worked fine. If I look at it under windows the files show up listed individually under the folders.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
May be the file is DRMed. The reader could have a problem with that. Try to put another pdf with similar size and formatting to see if it's a technical issue. I had this before on my PRS-505. The reader just kind of froze when a file was too big or complex.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If you figure out how to lift the DRM from a pdf file. Let me know. DRM is only annoying. And cracking DRM it's fair use, so there's nothing anybody can do about it.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I'm not sure if I ever had a DRMed pdf so far. Would you know of any I could try to get on my reader so I can see if it works there?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
mjsalman

I have additional information regarding problem. I updated to Adobe Reader version 9, which allows you to lauch Digital Reader. When I import scientific american file Digital Reader reports that this version does not handle password-protected files. It looks like I have to resign myself to this situation, unless someone knows of a way to work around this. Anyway thanks to everyone who tried to help. It is greatly appreciated
Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Mike_73
Guru

Password protected pdfs can be hacked, though I doubt that this should be a topic in this forum. But check google if you can find something on passwords on pdfs.