Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrawls View Post
Ya'll have me beat by a mile. And I consider myself a very avid and rapid reader, of course the library gets a lot of my trade..........
I should perhaps point out that I've probably read something like a quarter of the books I've bought from Baen. The main reason I buy "Webscriptions" every month is to show my whole-hearted support for the "good guys" of the publishing industry. I buy them whether or not I have any intention of ever reading them .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm in complete denial and refuse to total up my purchases. (Fingers in ears) La-la-la-la-la....
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
I understand about supporting Baen, they have been my favorite E-Book supplier since they first started as well as the most fan friendly IMHO. Both Jim Baen and Eric Flint never hesitated to reply to e-mails in the early days, Eric may still do so but I have had no reason to write him lately. So I support when possible. The only issue I have with the Webscriptions is that they have a tendency to package books I already have with the new releases, so I tend to be more of a single book buyer now. However I do have a tendency, as well, to buy the ARC (Advance reader copies) releases of my favorite authors even if they are usually at least $15 or more...But I would rather give them my $$$$ than any of the other online book retailers....in my mind loyalty to the fans begets loyalty from the fans.......but I am an old fart so draw your own conclusions.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm in complete denial and refuse to total up my purchases. (Fingers in ears) La-la-la-la-la....
I like your attitude.

La-la-la-la-la....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only issue I have with the Webscriptions is that they have a tendency to package books I already have with the new releases,
You get all that month's releases - both newly-published books and reprints. It's generally 2 or 3 new books, and anywhere between about 2 and 5 reprints. In effect the reprints are "free" - it's the new stuff you're paying for.

If, as I do, you buy all the Webscriptions you can easily see what's new and what's a reprint - anything you've bought already has a check mark alongside it in the store, so you can very easily see which are the new books.
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #21
wmrawls
Connoisseur

Yeah Harry I understand that. But,as is frequently the case, there may only be one or two books I don't have in the monthly Webscriptons, and all the rest are redundant to my library list, or to be honest may be authors I just can't get into. So I hunt through the latest offerings and pick what I know I will read.
Still I feel I am giving them enough of my hard earned money almost every month, thank goodness my favorite authors can only release one or two books a year or I would be up past your cash outlay lol.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I understand your viewpoint completely.

One nice thing about the "random" nature of the Webscription package is that I've discovered all sorts of authors (Elizabeth Moon, for example) that I'd have never bought in any other way, since their names would have been unknown to me.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #23
wmrawls
Connoisseur

Valid point.
I discovered two new authors that I love last year by happenstance (Jim Butcher and Simon Green), though not on Baen, so some "adventure" in reading is always welcome.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #24
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I'm with Harry on the subject of Baen. I own all the WebScriptions that are up in full (since the very beginning), along with many of the bundles. I've drawn the line at eARCs though -- my budget just won't stretch that far.

If you're concerned about duplicates in the Webscriptions bundles, remember that each month includes at least four books never before in bits. If there are too many paperback re-issues of stuff that was already in Webscriptions when published in hardcover, they digitize something pre-2000 and use it to fill out that never-before-in-bits number.

I've come to value the Webscriptions bundles for getting me to try books that I would not have purchased on their own. A few discoveries made that way include Eric Flint, Ryk Spoor, John Ringo... And they are the class act of the eBook industry, so I really want to encourage them.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #25
wmrawls
Connoisseur

Xenophon, add Travis Taylor to the list that you mentioned and you have the core of my hardcore Military SF named and identified. Taylor and Ringo when they collaborate simply suck money out of my account .....well you know what I mean.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Xenophon, add Travis Taylor to the list that you mentioned and you have the core of my hardcore Military SF named and identified. Taylor and Ringo when they collaborate simply suck money out of my account .....well you know what I mean.
I find the ultra-right-wing political views displayed by these gentlemen disturbing, I have to admit. Not my scene at all.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #27
wmrawls
Connoisseur

Right up my alley
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #28
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Right up my alley
I concur. I just wish Baen would expand their author set exponentially. Several, like Elizabeth Moon, don't have enough representation and some of my other "new" favorite authors, Darrell Bain & Ed Howdershelt, are not represented at all.

Also many authors are still not in ebooks, Jean Auel for instance.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find the ultra-right-wing political views displayed by these gentlemen disturbing, I have to admit. Not my scene at all.
I haven't read any Taylor, so I can't comment on him, but Ringo actually varies pretty wildly on that score. Yes some of his books are so right, that I'm surprised nobody's hung the moniker "Ron Jingo" on him, but most of them are much less so, and a few lean the other direction. Princess of Wands, for example, is actually a bit lefty-loosey (I don't use that description to be demeaning, it's just that it fits the story -- you'll know what I mean if you read it). I found it a very good read, though, not high literature, by any stretch, but it was fun.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It was Mr. Taylor that I was referring to specifically. I find most of Mr. Ringo's work much more palatable, with the exception of certain books of his that you're well aware of my views of, and which I won't repeat again .