Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Having trouble with my 300

I've had my Sony 300 for 2 1/2 years now but it has started giving me a lot of trouble. Every time I download a book or recharge it, it freezes completely. I have done all the soft and hard reboots but this time it's really b*gg@red up! The battery goes down quicker too, but is now showing full charge.

I am trying to re -download all my books from the Library, only it shows in 'status' as 'transfer files - waiting' and nothing is happening. I have 130 books to download and at this rate it will take days! I am not very happy with Sony at all and am considering switching to a Kindle instead because you can use it on a PC too. There aren't too many choices here in the UK for models available.

I have tried all the advice from this forum and from Sony. My problem is I'm going on holiday soon and I need something I can rely on! What should I do?
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
How about clearing the machine of books, formatting and doing a factory reset through menus and leaving on charge overnight on a wall charger.

As for choices of reader.... Sony 350s, 650s, couple of Elonexs, Bookeen Opus and that's just my local Waterstones, PC World, Currys, Black or whatever they want to call themselves have Kindles and their are some other minor ones around... seems UK has fair range available... well, at least England does...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
hols57
hols57

Thanks for that, elcreative, but it is still not working properly and I'm now reading all the brought ebooks while they are still there! Really cheesed off with Sony - excellent hardware but terrible back up from the 'Helpline' and the Sony Book Store is rubbish too. Thinking of going back to pbooks!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
1) Did you actually do a full reset to factory defaults?

2) Do you turn the reader ON before connecting it? My PRS-600 will lock up if you connect it to the computer when it is not switched on.

3) Are you talking about the Sony Reader software, yes it is pretty miserable. Did you try reloading it? ANd BTW Calibre works MUCH better.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
hols57
hols57

I finally got a reply of sorts from Sony. To the effect that if I registered the reader, and send it to them, they could look at it. As it is out of warranty I fear that it will cost more than it's worth by the time I post it and they charge for repairs. I did want to take it on holiday anyway. I am very fed up with Sony - great products, lousy service. Am probably going to wait for the next generation Kindle to come out.
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hols57 View Post
I finally got a reply of sorts from Sony. To the effect that if I registered the reader, and send it to them, they could look at it. As it is out of warranty I fear that it will cost more than it's worth by the time I post it and they charge for repairs. I did want to take it on holiday anyway. I am very fed up with Sony - great products, lousy service. Am probably going to wait for the next generation Kindle to come out.

I have to admit I'm not happy hearing about Sony service. And Amazon's seems to be better. And I have to admit that if the next Kindle has a touch screen I would be tempted. I already have Kindle 3 but I much prefer my Sony to it. The reason I have Kindle is because over a year ago so many more books were available there. They still carry some cheap books other places do not. So I periodically download to my Kindle to read them.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote