Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
PJinNH
FanFic Fanatic
PJinNH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Libreoffice or OPenoffice?

Looks like I'll be getting a new laptop, and I don't have the $ to spend on MS Word at this time. In the past when I've converted fanfic to RTF files using OpenOffice, the conversion to RTF didn't pick up all the text in italics, etc., which was very disappointing. (MS Word does a nice clean conversion to RTF.) Does anyone know if Open Office no longer has that problem or how Libreoffice handles RTFs?
PJinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
I use both programs. If you could post a link to a 'problem file', I'll convert them both and let you know what happens.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't had too many issues with Open Office. I find that doing spreadsheets in scalc can be an exercise in futility sometimes, though.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
THE best tool to create rtf file on Windows computer is Windows Write. That little writing app in the Accessories menu in Start menu, next to Notepad.

Windows Write had much, MUCH cleaner and leaner rtf.
Just have a look at the example generated by various programs including OpenOffice.org, Libre office (that is at the moment little more than a forked copy of OpenOffice.org), abiword, and various other programs. You can open rtf file like a plain text file and see the code for yourself. You can use any of numerous plain text editors, such as Notepad++, Textpad, Ultraedit, or, my favourite - Vim. In the past I have been generating RTF files by Vim scripts. I was able to convert simple html to RTF using just a Vim script.

On Linux I use Ted text editor when I need to create nice and clean rtf file.

With Windows Write or Ted you have several options.
- open existing badly formatted RTF in Write or Ted, correct formating and save
- copy and paste text into Write or Ted from some office program and save clean RTF.

Do have a look at rtf generated by Windows Write and generated by various other programs. You will see that there are huge differences. I believe that when you have nice clean rtf your e-ink reader has less work to do when formatting text, so the file opens faster and you conserve some battery power. The last point is much less important now than it was when I had Sony PRS-500 and I had to convert books to rtf to read them. Nowadays I would use epub or, if I wanted to be super efficient I would use FB2 format.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I like using a word processor called Atlantis because it has a very good "export to epub" filter.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Wordpad handles RTF files awfully well for most of the RTF specifications.

Otherwise, I have found Textmaker, a component of Softmaker Office (by Softmaker) to be superior to almost anything else I have tried. And it is incredibly affordable and lean.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Wordpad handles RTF files awfully well for most of the RTF specifications.

Otherwise, I have found Textmaker, a component of Softmaker Office (by Softmaker) to be superior to almost anything else I have tried. And it is incredibly affordable and lean.
Textmaker is super.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinNH View Post
In the past when I've converted fanfic to RTF files using OpenOffice, the conversion to RTF didn't pick up all the text in italics, etc., which was very disappointing.
I currently use both of these open-source programs and have had the same problem, regardless of the file type that I convert to. If I have to upload a file to almost any of the fanfic sites, I've had to save it in MSWord (I have the 2007 version), then do the conversion to either RTF or HTML to get the file to be accepted properly. Haven't been able to get around this problem either.

I prefer both of the open-source programs to MSWord for functionality and ease of use, but I've had to go back to Word consistently to make the final conversions for upload.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinNH View Post
Looks like I'll be getting a new laptop, and I don't have the $ to spend on MS Word at this time. In the past when I've converted fanfic to RTF files using OpenOffice, the conversion to RTF didn't pick up all the text in italics, etc., which was very disappointing. (MS Word does a nice clean conversion to RTF.) Does anyone know if Open Office no longer has that problem or how Libreoffice handles RTFs?
My experience doesn't match yours in that I rarely have the need to convert to rtf. Occasionally I convert from rtf to odt. However, I'd give LibO a test if I were you. A couple of months or so ago it was virtually identical to its parent, OOo, but there have been a few new versions, and the two branches are now moving apart, and the general feeling is that LibO is moving forward faster than OOo.

Personally I waited for the first non-beta version of LibO before changing, since I use OOo/LibO as my production environment.

The main reason for my change was the fact that LibO was more in the spirit of the original idea, an open source product. I am a little suspicious of Oracle's intentions with respect to OOo, and on present form, it's not even clear whether they have any. If they dump OOo, it could easily be re-merged with the new, improved LibO.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
by the way ...
Why do you need rtf file?
If you need it as a base of further conversion, OpenOffice.org, or Libre Office native format *.odt is accepted by Calibre. Calibre can convert from odt to other formats. Odt format is internally, very similar to epub ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
V.W. Singer
Enthusiast
V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: ppc
You could try Jarte which is freeware and based on the Wordpad engine.
V.W. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
You may be getting MS Word bundled with your new laptop. I bought a Dell desktop last November and found that it came with Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, MS's replacement for the old Microsoft Works program. It contains almost fully-functional versions of Word and Excel 2010 (some high-end mainly business functionality is missing). It shows small ads in the lower right corner (unless you upgrade it). The ads don't change very often and I rarely notice them.

I had a copy of Office Home and Student 2007 that I had planned to install on the new computer but found I didn't need to.

As a long-time Word user I haven't had any problems with the missing functions. Anyway, google it and see if it looks OK to you. If so, it might be worth making sure that your new laptop includes it, assuming you haven't bought it yet.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.W. Singer View Post
You could try Jarte which is freeware and based on the Wordpad engine.
Another vote for Jarte. I used the free version for several months and liked it so much that I purchased the paid version (which adds a few handy features not available with the free version).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
OpenOffice is effectively dead - http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...he-project.ars
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #15
PJinNH
FanFic Fanatic
PJinNH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Thanks for all the info. Didn't know about odt...I'll give that a try if Word doesn't come with the laptop. Still working with the old one right now, as long as I run it in sleep mode and don't have to reboot it, it's running. (I'm have a problem starting up the hard drive in the laptop...sometimes it takes several tries to get it to boot up.)
PJinNH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, libreoffice, ms word, openoffice, rtf