Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
Chuwiey
Chuwiey began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Feature Request: Moving and not copying when adding files...

I would believe this is fairly easy to implement... I would like an option (via preferences) for calibre to move or delete an ebook after having added it to the library.. I don't see the sense in having two copies (one in the calibre directory, organized, and the other in the original location).

Thank you,
Chuwiey
Chuwiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You should request features by adding an appropriate ticket via http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ . Requests via the forum tend to get lost under the deluge of other messages.

You can also search to see if this has been previously requested, and if so what the status is of the request.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuwiey View Post
I would believe this is fairly easy to implement... I would like an option (via preferences) for calibre to move or delete an ebook after having added it to the library.. I don't see the sense in having two copies (one in the calibre directory, organized, and the other in the original location).

Thank you,
Chuwiey

I find that having more than one copy allows an insurance policy in case something goes wrong ....
Also the original will be original -
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuwiey View Post
I would like an option (via preferences) for calibre to move or delete an ebook after having added it to the library
Calibre converts some files during import (html) and always renames the file. This can cause the loss of some data if the conversion goes badly, or if the filename included metadata that wasn't properly picked up during the import process.

Leaving the original file is a safe and easy backup that allows you to redo it when it goes wrong. Generally, it's pretty easy to manually delete the file/folder, so I suspect Kovid would rather you take responsibility for that simple step, than have Calibre do it. Of course, you can always request the feature.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Calibre converts some files during import (html) and always renames the file. This can cause the loss of some data if the conversion goes badly, or if the filename included metadata that wasn't properly picked up during the import process.

Leaving the original file is a safe and easy backup that allows you to redo it when it goes wrong. Generally, it's pretty easy to manually delete the file/folder, so I suspect Kovid would rather you take responsibility for that simple step, than have Calibre do it. Of course, you can always request the feature.

Only if this is an opt-in feature (for deleting original).....
Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Oh it will definitely be opt-in. I try very hard never to damage/lose the users books in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh it will definitely be opt-in. I try very hard never to damage/lose the users books in calibre.
The Icon for this should probably be:
Foot with Anvil smashing it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Icon for this should probably be:
Foot with Anvil smashing it

Or "are you sure",

followed by

"Are you really sure",

followed by

"Are you REALLY sure " ...... !

Tags
featrure request, library