Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Mobipocket ebooks useless after firmware upgrade

The new (beta) BeBook firmware update, which adds Adobe drm-ed ePub and pdf support to the first generation BeBook ereader, doesn't support drm-ed Mobipocket ebooks anymore, hence making your legally bought Mobipocket ebooks a heap of worthless bits&bytes.

Quote:
Here is the August 2009 firmware update for your BeBook eReader.

WARNING: Read the full text and instructions before upgrading.

This release note is for the August 2009 update. Firmware version NL-2.10-20090803

Changes to last update:

WARNING: Removes the ability to read Mobipocket DRM protected files. (non DRM Mobipocket files can still be read)
CHANGE: This updates your BeBook adding support for DRM protected PDF and EPUB files using Adobe (r) DRM.
CHANGE: adds compatibility with Adobe Digital Editions book management software.
CHANGE: auto recognition in Adobe Digital Editions identifying the device as 'BeBook'
CHANGE: adds reflowable PDF and Epub file support.

Amazon is to blame here; they don't allow ereader manufacturers to add Mobi drm on ereaders that also have another drm system installed. So either you can stick with Mobipocket, and will not be able to buy drm-ed ePub ebooks, or you can switch to ePub, and say goodbye to your Mobipocket ebook collection.

More ranting in this Dutch article on the subject. Please join me and also sign the anti-drm petition at Defectivebydesign.org.

So what do you think? Would you rather skip the update, in order to be able to keep reading your drm-ed Mobipocket ebooks? Or are you ready to ditch your old ebook collection in order to switch to ePub with Adobe drm?

(please note that this is not BeBook specific; the Cybook update will also remove support for Mobipocket with drm. Also all new models (Cybook Opus, BeBook mini, etc) will not support protected Mobipocket if you want to read Adobe drm-ed ePub.)

Last edited by ebookreaders; 08-08-2009 at 03:00 PM.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep. why after I buy an Ebook I strip the DRM off of it, and then I sleep like a baby...
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
So what do you think? Would you rather skip the update, in order to be able to keep reading your drm-ed Mobipocket ebooks? Or are you ready to ditch your old ebook collection in order to switch to ePub with Adobe drm?
I'll just remove the DRM and forget about it. And if need be, I'll use Calibre to convert them to epub.

While I'm totally against Amazon on this (it's really silly, forbidding other DRM formats beside your own), I'll not let Amazon spoil my fun.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
ebookreaders
wdejager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'll just remove the DRM and forget about it. And if need be, I'll use Calibre to convert them to epub.
I suspect that there are many people out there who don't even know what DRM is or that they have bought ebooks with DRM. I suspect that these people will probably not figure out how to de-DRM their ebooks.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I suspect that there are many people out there who don't even know what DRM is or that they have bought ebooks with DRM. I suspect that these people will probably not figure out how to de-DRM their ebooks.
I'm going to reluctantly agree with you on this. I don't think the average and new consumer of ebooks knows about all this DRM stuff that's happening, or even has the time to engage in the issue.

That's the shame of DRM.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
That's true... But you asked what I would do... And I already have to do it, as I have 5 devices on which I read.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I will agree that the average consumer has no clue on this stuff.

But isn't this a lovely justification to get that second machine that one couldn't justify before?

I really NEED another machine now....
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Every time I read a story like this it makes me furious! DRM is evil and we should not support companies that still think it works as a deterrent against piracy.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
ebookreaders
wdejager

Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
Every time I read a story like this it makes me furious! DRM is evil and we should not support companies that still think it works as a deterrent against piracy.
Same feeling here, it really p*sses me off. Therefore we should keep spreading this kind of stories and convince publishers in your own country not to engage in DRM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I agree that the average consumer doesn't understand the various types of DRM. But the plus to this whole issue (IMHO) is that new customers who buy these readers will likely be on the ePub side of the DRM fence instead of the Mobi side. If DRM is going to be around, I'd rather have the majority of devices going forward to at least support the same DRM scheme (not that I want DRM around).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I am in the process of selling my 505, and I can attest to trying to educate the average user about the various permutations of file formats and encryption schemes.

On thing I have to thank Sony for is making it necessary to learn to strip DRM from Mobi files so I can buy books from someone besides Sony. Now the only thing I buy is mobi files, strip the DRM and convert them to whatever format I need.

Now I don't care if they disable my DRM or not, all of my library id DRM free.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I guess this just shows the importance of removing the DRM protection from the ebooks once you have purchased them.
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Personally I'm like others that have answered. I'll keep doing what I usually do buy whichever book I like and strip it then read it on whatever device that I own. It is unfortunate that as you say most people don't even realize that drm is a problem and they won't until they run up against a situation like this where they have to choose between a firmware upgrade and still being able to read books that they have purchased.

As much as it sucks to be in the position of not being able to access your books, the outrage it generates will hopefully move us all a little closer to being able to buy our books from publishers who aren't willing to shackle their books to a particular piece of hardware.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I think you are gaining more than you are losing since Mobipocket format is not going to be around much longer.
Remove the DRM from your existing books(if its legal) and convert to epub and move forward.
If you use the history of online music as a guide eventually the ebook industry will wake up and make all ebooks available to all platforms.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
DRMed mobi files will just become obsolete because of its exclusivity. (Except the Amazon format, of course)

ePub will just replace it. ebookstores will have to support it, because more and more people will have ePub ereaders or will read in ther computers using Adobe's software, which is more known and popular.

Current users will just have to endure this transition phase: by removing drm from their ebooks, while avoiding drm mobi ebooks.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, drm, firmware, mobipocket, update