Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Sigil 0.7.4 is available

An update to Sigil is available at Google Code

Sigil is a multi-platform EPUB ebook editor with the following features:
  • Online Sigil User's Guide, and Wiki documentation
  • Free and open source software under GPLv3
  • Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Linux and Mac
  • Full UTF-16 support
  • Full EPUB 2 spec support
  • Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Preview View
  • WYSIWYG editing in Book View
  • Complete control over directly editing EPUB syntax in Code View
  • Table of Contents generator with multi-level heading support
  • Metadata editor with full support for all possible metadata entries (more than 200) with full descriptions for each
  • User interface translated into many languages
  • Spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
  • Full Regular Expression (PCRE) support for Find & Replace
  • Supports import of EPUB and HTML files, images, and style sheets,
  • Documents can be validated for EPUB compliance with the integrated FlightCrew EPUB validator
  • Embedded HTML Tidy: all imported files have their formatting corrected, and your editing can be optionally cleaned

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Thanks for the word... D/Ld...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Very nice Has user_none reconsidered and will he keep maintaining Sigil, or are these "just" bugfix releases from now on?

While I would still like to see the/an EPUB-editor in Calibre (and be glad to help if I can), I'd be happy with continued bugfix-maintenance of Sigil as well. More options is better; there are no other "pure" EPUB-editors around, as far as I know. Most of them are word processors with (some) EPUB-capabilities.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Very nice Has user_none reconsidered and will he keep maintaining Sigil, or are these "just" bugfix releases from now on.
He never suggested he wouldn't keep maintaining Sigil. Only that he would no longer be doing much in the way of active development on it himself.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-27-2013 at 07:23 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
He never suggested he wouldn't keep maintaining Sigil. Only that he would no longer be doing much in the way of active development on it himself.
Ah, OK

I hope you will be creating a new package for Debian, as I've just finished my conversion to Linux / Debian Testing
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Thanks for the heads up.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Wonderful!
I use only the most basic features but I find it a great tool for fixing poorly authored EPUB book; beats using winzip & wordpad.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The PortableApps version has been released as well:

http://portableapps.com/news/2013-10...0.7.4-released
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
EbookQueen36
EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I use this at work and I downloaded this new version the other day. It didn't work at all. I'm on a Mac running Lion. I tried several times. Ended up downloading my old version again and it's working fine. This must only work on Macs running Mountain Lion and higher.
EbookQueen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Hi,
I have compiled the new sigil on Debian/sid with the libqt5 packages from experimental. All works well, only I cannot start sigil because of a strange name-lookup error:

Code:
sigil: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so: undefined symbol: xkb_keymap_new_from_names
Anyone having an idea how that could be fixed, or what is the reason for that?

Thanks

Norbert
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I hope you will be creating a new package for Debian, as I've just finished my conversion to Linux / Debian Testing
Are you planning to do a proper Debian package (.diff/.dsc etc, building etc), or just shipping a compiled version within a debian package?

In the former case I would be interested to help and test, I am a Debian Developer and would like to see Sigil entering Debian at some point.

Thanks

Norbert
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Offhand, I'd say the version of Qt 5 that comes with libqt5 from experimental is insufficient in some way.

The recommended (and documented) way to build Sigil on Linux is to download/install a binary distribution of Qt5 and build Sigil against that. I think that's where we're at unfortunately ... at least until Qt5 is more mature and mainstream in the various distros' repositories.

This would, of course, be best discussed in the Sigil forum.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
Are you planning to do a proper Debian package (.diff/.dsc etc, building etc), or just shipping a compiled version within a debian package?

In the former case I would be interested to help and test, I am a Debian Developer and would like to see Sigil entering Debian at some point.

Thanks

Norbert
Oh no. My "unoffical" packages are entirely improper.
They're only intended as a bandaid until Qt5 becomes more widely available through the normal repository channels. At which point, the other unofficial (but proper) Sigil repo maintainers are more than welcome to take up the cause.

Mine's just a compiled binary, the necessary Qt5 libs and the usual support files packaged up.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

FYI: Whatever version I had when I upgraded to Mac OS X Mavericks had quit working, but this release works on Mavericks.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #15
norbusan
Zealot

Hi DiapDealer,

thanks for your answers!

Quote:
Offhand, I'd say the version of Qt 5 that comes with libqt5 from experimental is insufficient in some way.
Ok, I will report a bug against it and see if it gets fixed ;-)

Quote:
This would, of course, be best discussed in the Sigil forum.
Ok, agreed, will go there for my questions.

Quote:
Oh no. My "unoffical" packages are entirely improper.
I see. Big *THANKS* for your work anyway, very much appreciated!

All the best

Norbert