Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Kobo Gift Card Deal

Quote:
Get a $3 eGift Card when you spend $25 or more
Get a $5 eGift Card when you spend $35 or more
Get a $10 eGift Card when you spend $55 or more

Be rewarded with a Kobo eGift card
when you purchase between Mar 5th and 12th.

Use your Kobo eGift card on ANY eBook including
"Cheap Reads" starting at 99¢!

Promotion dates are from March 5, 2011 12:00 AM EST until March 12, 2011 11:59 PM EST. Only purchases made within the promotion date will be eligible for the eGift card. Spend amounts can be reached by a single or multiple eBook purchase. Spend amounts will be calculated on the before-tax eBook price. eGift cards will be delivered to the email of the Kobo account you signed up with. eGift cards will be delivered to your account no later than March 23, 2011. One offer per person, per accumulated spend over the promotional period.
http://www.kobobooks.com/
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Something I noticed the last time Kobo had an offer based on purchases during a certain period: if you have any unbought books in your library (i.e., your "save for later" books), the purchase date that shows up is the date you first added the book, not the actual date of purchase. So, unless Kobo has changed its method, those books will not apply to the thresholds.

I really do like that Kobo is offering a gift card this time, now that RH is Agency and the ability to use a coupon is even more limited.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's true about the dates. The other problem I encountered with that was trying to buy a book from my library list when something about that book had changed - either the price had changed or it was a different copy or something. I kept getting a message that there was a problem with the purchase. I finally figured it out accidentally by just doing a search and finding out that the price was different and buying it from there instead of from my list with no problem. Because of all that I have just taken all my "wishlist" books out of my library and am keeping my own list.

I had the same thought about the gift cards - This appears to be a workaround to still get a net discount on agency titles.

It also appears that some of the RH imprints, such as Angry Robot/Osprey and Soho Press, are still being discounted. I don't know if this is temporary or what. These titles are all still available at Fictionwise, too.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The straight percentage off promos were more attractive. With this deal you have to hold back a book to use for the egift card.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm not seeing the offer. Are they targeting select customers?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The straight percentage off promos were more attractive. With this deal you have to hold back a book to use for the egift card.
But you aren't restricted to non-Agency books with a gift card--you can apply it to any book.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not seeing the offer. Are they targeting select customers?
I got an email (Canada) - see if this link works for you?
http://www.kobobooks.com/rewards?utm...3BouncebackRoW

I don't see any place to sign up or anything.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
NightBird
Wizard

You don't sign up for anything - just buy the appropriate amount of books for the amount of gift card you are interested in between the required dates and save your receipts. You will automatically received the gift card before 3/23.

The deal is on the front page of the Kobo website also.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
They seem to have modified the deal. Now you get a single use coupon for 15, 20 or 30% depending on how much you spend. However, they make it appear that only books on a short list are eligible for either buying (to earn the coupon) or for redeeming the coupon. I know they always had a list of titles for other discount coupons but the sale applied to all non-agency books, so perhaps the same thing is true again this time.

Of course, it's more difficult to find a non-agency title as more publishers join the agency bandwagon.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
NightBird
Wizard

Thanks, Steve. I probably wouldn't have even looked at this again before I started buying. This is really annoying.

So here are the details of the new offer:

Quote:
Get a 15% coupon when you spend $25 or more on these eBooks
Get a 20% coupon when you spend $35 or more on these eBooks
Get a 30% coupon when you spend $55 or more on these eBooks
Be rewarded with a Kobo eGift card when you purchase any eBook from this list between Mar 5th and Mar 12th.

Use your Kobo eGift card on any eBook from this list!

Note that the terms and conditions of this promotion have changed. See details below.

How it Works:

Note: The terms and conditions of this promotion have been changed. The original promotion launched on March 2nd.

Offer valid from March 5 at 12:00 AM GMT through to March 12 at 11:59 PM GMT. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer or promotion and cannot be used to adjust amount paid on previous purchases.

Discount code is valid for one time use of any eBook from this list excluding those from the following publishers: In the UK - Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Penguin, Pan Macmillan, Simon & Schuster and all respective subsidiary imprints. In the US - excluding Hachette Book Group USA, Harper Collins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Macmillan, Zondervan, Random House and all respective subsidiary imprints. In CA - HarperCollins UK, Hachette, Grand Central, Warner, and Little Brown. In AU/NZ - Hachette Book Group and all respective subsidiary imprints.

Newspapers and magazines are excluded from this offer. Promotional code must be entered at time of purchase to qualify for this discount. Discounts cannot be applied nor the discount value refunded once a purchase is complete. We reserve the right to change or end this offer at any time without notice.

Spend amounts can be reached by a single or multiple eBook purchase. Spend amounts will be calculated on the before-tax eBook price. Coupons will be delivered to the email of the Kobo account you signed up with and will be delivered no later than March 23, 2011.

One offer per person, per accumulated spend over the promotional period
**Notice Zondervan has been added to the list of no coupons allowed.

So to qualify you have to buy only from the list. It is now a coupon instead of a gift card and does not work on agency titles.

Crap - they must have been reading this thread.

Here is the link for the list:

http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/Save_...10.html?s=none
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It's a coupon, but I'm not sure how to read it... If it was a normal coupon wouldn't it say 30% off instead of 30%? While agency was removed, it almost reads like it's not a 30% off coupon, but a coupon/credit for 30% of what you spent - so for $55 that's a $16.5 coupon. If it's just 30% off that's obnoxious because those pop up all the time without requiring you to spend 55 bucks...

That said, I think I'm already screwed any way you look at it, as I had looked at the promotion earlier today when it was still a gift card and hadn't seen any of those stipulations regarding specific books, etc. Don't think I bought anything from their 'approved' list...
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

This is so crazy. I got the revised offer last night, too.

It would be disappointing enough if they had just changed from a gift card to a coupon, but then to say the initial purchases must be from a specific list makes the offer useless to me. Only a couple of books on the list were of even marginal interest, and I'm certainly not going to spend $55 on them just to get a 30% off coupon, when Kobo offers plenty of coupons without prerequirements anyway. They took away all the incentive to go on a shopping spree.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Does anyone have an email copy of the specific terms and conditions of the original promotion to paste here? I didn't receive it, was just operating off of the forum post. Does Nightbird's first post list all the conditions their were at that time?
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
To me, it sounds like Kobo tried to make a workaround after losing another publisher to the agency model and got a cease-and-desist for their trouble.

I still don't like it when they offer something and then go back on the deal, but if their offer was a breach of contract then they have no choice.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyDan View Post
To me, it sounds like Kobo tried to make a workaround after losing another publisher to the agency model and got a cease-and-desist for their trouble.

I still don't like it when they offer something and then go back on the deal, but if their offer was a breach of contract then they have no choice.
It seems to make sense that somehow they were stopped from fulfilling their original offer, but on what grounds? How can anyone stop a store from offering a gift card?