Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #331
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
I know the file name convention as you pointed out. How about the naming inside .ttf file?
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #332
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Er, what do you mean? They're TrueType font, so, the usual Unicode mappings. :?

On an unrelated note, updated the usbnetwork packages according to pnt's suggestions .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #333
cbb77
cbb77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry if previously covered but I scanned a few pages and didn't see this scenario asked. I am currently running 0.4 version of screensaver hack. Wanted to update to latest firmware and ss hack. I know I should be able to just run the uninstaller and load the new hack but am curious of the old screensavers. I added my own and removed all of the dead authors. I see the new hack utilizes a new directory. Should I reinstall all of the dead authors? Does new hack automatically default to new directory and skip display of dead authors or does it combine both?. I wouldn't mind replacing all dead authors on if I can bypass them. This way I don't have to worry about restoring them in event I decide to upgrade or lose them from my computer.

Last edited by cbb77; 07-28-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: .
cbb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #334
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't have to worry about the default screensavers, the hack doesn't touch them. (And they'll be backed up on the first run anyway).
Old 07-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #335
rbbcpa
rbbcpa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rbbcpa: Not sure, since the 2.3 hacks packages used an exploit which has been plugged since. You'd better ask for someone to repackage it properly for v2.5.

And, more specifically, if you're talking about ebs' screensavers timeout hack, check https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=59 .

The jailbreak in itself (at least this one and clarknova's) won't block auto-updates, no, but other hacks might. (the timeout hack does, for example, while these fonts/ss/usbnet hacks are update-safe).
I was able to apply the screensaver timeout hack per your instructions above; however, I am not able to change the timeout length using ebs' instructions. I am creating a text file named "screensaver-timout" and I specifying 1800, but the install log says that "timeout setting already set to 3600...done!". Any suggestions?
rbbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #336
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-29-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Argggh. Double post.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #337
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you don't see a

Code:
Using user specified timeout 1800 from /mnt/us/screensaver-timeout
line in your install log, then you misspelled or misplaced the 'screensaver-timeout' file. (It should be in the root of the Kindle, and without any file extension (ie. 'screensaver-timeout' and not 'screensaver-timeout.txt' !).
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #338
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
PLEASE HELP!!!

NiLuJe,

I didn't realize that you had continued to refine the screensaver and font hacks. Therefore, I have just stumbled upon all of the various upgrades you have done. Here is my problem:

I have currently loaded onto my K2US kindle 2.5 fonts 3.1N and ss 0.4. Needless to say, I am somewhat behind. I am reading your instructions regarding how to upgrade and there is one confusing part for me that is not clear - it involves the following statement taken from your instructions:

The first thing you'll have to do, and I do mean *first*, is to update the content of the linkss & linkfonts folders from the latest zipfiles. (Of course, you can skip the default custom content (linkss/screensavers for the SS, and linkfonts/fonts for the Fonts)). But the core of the hacks reside in here (specifically, the linkfonts/bin & linkss/bin folder), so it is critical to do this correctly.

I don't understand what I am suppose to do here and more clarity around this would be helpful. Also, can I move from the current version to the latest in one fell move or do I need to move up the upgrades?
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #339
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Basically, follow the install instructions like if you hadn't any hacks installed, except:

* Skip the jailbreak step

* When copying the linkfonts folder, don't overwrite the linkfonts/fonts folder (in order to keep your current fonts).

* When copying the linkss folder, don't overwrite the linkss/screensavers folder (in order to keep your current custom screensavers).

* Once both updates have been launched on the Kindle, do a full Kindle Restart.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #340
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Basically, follow the install instructions like if you hadn't any hacks installed, except:

* Skip the jailbreak step

* When copying the linkfonts folder, don't overwrite the linkfonts/fonts folder (in order to keep your current fonts). Sorry to be thick: I have this folder so how and what do I copy to this folder

* When copying the linkss folder, don't overwrite the linkss/screensavers folder (in order to keep your current custom screensavers). I don't have this folder on my Kindle root directory.
* Once both updates have been launched on the Kindle, do a full Kindle Restart.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #341
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Fonts: Overwrite everything in the linkfonts folder, *except* the fonts directory. (ie. what's highlighted in the attached screenshot).

SS: So I'm assuming you really meant ss 0.4 and not 0.4.N. In that case, you'll have to uninstall it first (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=2). Then proceed as outlined in the first post in the ScreenSavers section, and forget what I said in my previous post about the linkss folder .
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #342
chilady1
I devour books!

Thank you - I think I understand now and will go ahead. Appreciate your quick response and all the hard work.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #343
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Which fontset supports Arabic/Hebrew characters ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #344
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
I had an idea and asked NiLuJe if it would work before I went and screwed up my Kindle... I got rid of the italics on the collections name in the book browser. All I had to do was copy Sans_Bold.tff out onto my PC and rename it Sans_BoldItalic.tff and replaced the existing one in the fonts folder (I wasn't sure if it would work incase the Operating system was expecting an italic version of a font... why I asked NiLuJe first), and it worked. YAY!!! No more stupid italics on the Collections names!!! (Droid Sans Bold being the version of Sans_Bold that was used from NiLuJe's personally named font set).

So... for anyone that wants to get rid of the italics in the collections names... now you know you can (if you didn't know already that is)

UPDATED_____________

BTW... I don't (but don't quote me on it) think you need to necessarily use the Sans_Bold.ttf renamed to Sans_BoldItalic.ttf like I used... it was NiLuJe's recommendation to try Sans_Regular.ttf... but given the wording in my query email, I don't think he knew quite what I meant when I asked him about it.

But... nevertheless... copying out your Sans_Bold.ttf and renaming to Sans_BoldItalic.ttf and replacing it, looks really nice because it matches the use of the same font as Sans_Bold.ttf on the rest of the screen (top and bottom etc)...

Last edited by Balerion; 07-30-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Update
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #345
dominolink
dominolink began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I must say, this is really helpful, my kindle dxg has been successfully jailbroken and added new fonts.
Thank you very much.
dominolink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet