Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
emmad
Enthusiast
emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Red face Pockebook 301, Kobo, Sony PSR600

Thanks to the replies in my thread about purchasing for reading in NZ just got a few more questions.

I've found that I can purchase either the Sony PSR600 or the Pocketbook 301 online for only an extra $40 NZ. I had almost firmed on the PB after reading comments on here but then found a site (via a link on here) that has the Sony at an affordable price as well (though shipping is a bit high). Now I'm confuzzeled again lol

For anyone that has used/sighted these three readers which would you recommend and why?

The main thing I'm concerned about purchasing online is ongoing hardware support. I'm assuming firmware support shouldn't be an issue.
emmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
PRS600 vs PB301?
That's easy:
1- do you care about touchscreen?
2- does the Sony name matter?
or
3- Do you value screen clarity?
4- Do you value end user typographical controls?
5- Do you like having games and other apps on your ebook reader?
6- Do you need support for more than ePub and PDF? PRC, DOC, RTF, HTML, FB2?

Not sure about your local pricing but Kobo's calling card is its price; if price matters most, Kobo's the choice.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-28-2010 at 07:28 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
emmad
Enthusiast
emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Sony name doesn't matter to me The price difference is only $40 hence the PRS600 and PB301 came into the picture. I think I'm leaning towards the P301 and funnily enough for a reason other than reading lol. I don't have an mp3 player and also like the idea of the games on it. Plus it lets me access more file types than the kobo. Hmm sounds like my decision is just about there
emmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
The Sony PRS-600 reads txt, rtf, and doc files just fine.

For me personally it is a great ebook reader because I didn't want to pay extra for WiFi and games, but I wanted the touch screen. In the US, a Pocketbook 301 is a lot more expensive than a Sony PRS-600, but if the price is close for you and you want those extra features then go for it.

The 301 does read more formats but unless you already have tons of books in one format that isn't going to be an issue.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote