Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

Class action suit against Amazon (sign up here!)

By now, you've read about Amazon deleting your books.
Feel angry about someone stealing your property and then leaving you some cash to compensate?
Well, you've come to the right thread.
Before we get started, let me say something to all those who can see Amazon's point on this matter. You're wrong. Amazon's defense could be that they "lease" the book to you until such a time when they end the lease contract (a bit more complicated than that perhaps, but it will suffice for now). Well, I just went back to Amazon's site and behold! They sell you the book.

That wording is legally binding, and Amazon cannot claim a "typo" defense on this case, since they have always advertised selling those books, and they have a very large legal department to avoid such errors.

So, they sold you the book. That means that any average person (or a jury of their peers) will understand that the buyer has ownership of said book. Therefore the buyer can attribute any value for that book he or she wishes. I have a collection of hardcover editions of English Classics which I bought for 15 euros. I will not sell them for less than 200 euros. I get to state my price now. They're mine.
You get the picture.

So, Amazon just accessed your "Library" (could it be a "typo"?) and took some books out of there and paid you what they thought the book was worth. They did not ask you about it, they did not even inform you that they were going to do it.
You could have been almost finished with the book. You could have made annotations to it. Your annotations that have value to you. You could have emotional attachments to it. It could have been a gift from a loved one. They don't care.

Taking all of these aspects into account, I think Amazon is due some punishment and their customers some compensation.

Get organized, ask for advice, fight it in the press, fight it in the courts, but get them to stop. And get some compensation out of them. May this thread be the first step towards a less dystopian future.

Disclaimer: I cannot legally own a Kindle, since I live in Europe, so I'll step aside to let our American friends once again fight for freedom and justice (and reap the rewards). Though I wouldn't mind 1% of the total amount paid in punitive and compensatory damages. Just kidding. Unless you're serious.

Last edited by gmvasco; 07-17-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typos :)
gmvasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This class action suit makes more sense then the one over the Kindle screen replacement even though they've said they'll do it for free.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvasco View Post
By now, you've read about Amazon deleting your books.
You mean about how Amazon deleted Ayn Rand bootlegs somebody uploaded to the Kindle store and removed 1984/Animal Farm because they are not public domain in America and Mobi didn't have the rights to sell them?

Yeah, I heard about that.

TIME TO CASH IN!!!
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Regarding your proposed class action suit.

Just. Stop.

I mean really, *rolls eyes*
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Regarding your proposed class action suit.

Just. Stop.

I mean really, *rolls eyes*
That. What he said. They took away your illegal copies? Oh no. Whatever will you do? The fact that the copies were not legitimate combined with the license agreement means you won't win jack.

If you had some grounds to fight the idea of 'licensing' you might have something, but illegal copies? Yeah... good luck with that.

(not a lawyer, nothing I say should be considered as professional legal advice, etc etc)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
If you had some grounds to fight the idea of 'licensing' you might have something, but illegal copies? Yeah... good luck with that.
What is this "illegal copies" and what law defines them as illegal. For what I know it is the distribution that makes it a copyright infringement. The distribution method can never make it illegal to have it since you can be the copyright owner and buy a copy from Amazon.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What is this "illegal copies" and what law defines them as illegal. For what I know it is the distribution that makes it a copyright infringement. The distribution method can never make it illegal to have it since you can be the copyright owner and buy a copy from Amazon.
You're splitting hairs. The copies were sold by someone without the right to sell them. They can only be sold by the legitimate publisher. Amazon did exactly the right thing.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To the original poster: might I respectfully suggest that it you feel the need to persecute someone, it should be the person who illegally uploaded the material to Amazon. They are the ones who did wrong, not Amazon. In removing the illegal material and refunded the purchasers' money Amazon have done precisely the right thing. Forget the law - it was the right thing to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
OP - get lost. You don't even have a horse in the race and you want to stir it up.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
No need to be rude here.

"A" for effort to the OP.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #11
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
No need to be rude here.

"A" for effort to the OP.
Too bad he gets an "F" for common sense
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To the original poster: might I respectfully suggest that it you feel the need to persecute someone, it should be the person who illegally uploaded the material to Amazon. They are the ones who did wrong, not Amazon. In removing the illegal material and refunded the purchasers' money Amazon have done precisely the right thing. Forget the law - it was the right thing to do.
Just claiming your morality as universal does make it so. My moral reasoning give me the conclusion it was the wrong thing to do.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You're splitting hairs. The copies were sold by someone without the right to sell them. They can only be sold by the legitimate publisher. Amazon did exactly the right thing.
According to what law?

Not according to first sale principle.

In many countries if you buy something stolen in good faith it is yours to keep.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
here in Canada , you buy something stolen and are found out..you loose..end of story. no money back..no sorry ..
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
In the U.S. it is also illegal to buy stolen property. Now you could argue that it was unknown that it was stolen and you bought from a reputable seller, but the bottom line is still that it is stolen property. The publisher did not legally own the rights to distribute the book. Amazon maybe should have notified people first, but I don't think this is as big a deal as some people are making it out to be.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote