Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #106
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm currently reading on a Kindle Keyboard. I'm making sure it's good before passing it on down the line. (Actually, I like it quite a bit, I might hang on to it.)
When I left my Kindle Keyboard in a seat-back pocket on an American Airlines flight, I spent about 4 hours trying to get it back. Airline referred me to airport, airport referred me to airline. Eventually I gave up! Bought a new-to-me used KK and I'm still using it! Also bought a replacement "lighted cover" which makes this the perfect reader for me -- eInk, page-turn buttons, convenient reading light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I'm transitioning back to a Sony PRS-505, my second one after the battery wore out with my original one. Like with readerlover, I like the physical buttons and also the following: the interface, the clear and sharp e-ink screen, and the size (large enough screen for ereading, while the itself device is the right size for easy carrying).
I just found my PRS 505, but I'm not sure where the charger is, so I'm going to try to charge it via the USB port. I figure it will take a long time, so I'm hoping it will be somewhat charged if I leave it plugged in for 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
BeBook Mini on the road, T68 on longer trips and daylight reading, Asus VivoTab Note 8 for nighttime reading. Nokia Lumia 920 in a pinch.
I also have a BeBook Mini, but without a cover, I feel like it's rather fragile. And, the user interface isn't as good as the Kindle or the Sony.

And, I have the Kindle and Nook apps installed on my iPad and iPhone, as well as iBooks on the iPad. I only use the tablet for cookbooks and children's picture books. I keep one audiobook and one eBook on the iPhone. The iPhone is my primary player for audiobooks -- particularly those I have bought from Audible. The eBook on the iPhone is so that I can sneak in some "stealth reading" when my business colleagues are checking their e-mail on their phones.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #107
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Aura HD - 6.8" screen beats every eReader on the market.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #108
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
But the Onyx Boox Lynx T68 has no volume buttons.
I didn't know that -- but still, as Harry mentions, it has on-screen volume controls. So, a modern eReader with sound and audio jack (but with soft volume controls) would seem to be better than no audio at all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Aura HD - 6.8" screen beats every eReader on the market.
No, other devices, such as the Onyx T68, use the same screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 AM   #110
Verlander
Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I went from Kindle Keyboard to Nexus 7 tablet, with Moon+, and now back to a Kindle.... the Paperwhite 2.

I found the tablet just a bit too heavy and the screen too reflective for sustained reading.
Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #111
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
When I left my Kindle Keyboard in a seat-back pocket on an American Airlines flight, I spent about 4 hours trying to get it back. Airline referred me to airport, airport referred me to airline. Eventually I gave up! Bought a new-to-me used KK and I'm still using it! Also bought a replacement "lighted cover" which makes this the perfect reader for me -- eInk, page-turn buttons, convenient reading light.
I also bought my Kindle used. So far I love it! It's so light! Plus, to my surprise, I actually like the page-turn buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlander View Post
I went from Kindle Keyboard to Nexus 7 tablet, with Moon+, and now back to a Kindle.... the Paperwhite 2.

I found the tablet just a bit too heavy and the screen too reflective for sustained reading.
The Nexus 7 is pretty light for a tablet but I do agree it's heavier than a Kindle. I was able to read on it for sustained amounts of time but the weight didn't bother me and I usually read indoor, so the screen wasn't too much of an issue.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #112
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Primary reader: Samsung Galaxy Note (smart phone)
Secondary reader: Acer Iconia tablet

I just can't see paying extra for a separate ereading device when my tablets read just fine and do other things as well.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #113
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I just can't see paying extra for a separate ereading device when my tablets read just fine and do other things as well.
I would feel the same way; but unfortunately, my eyes can't take the strain caused by LCD displays during lengthy reading sessions. I absolutely require eink for novels.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #114
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I also have a BeBook Mini, but without a cover, I feel like it's rather fragile. And, the user interface isn't as good as the Kindle or the Sony.
It's ancient (in e-book reader age...), so I don't expect the BeBook Mini to have a slick user interface... And I do have a cover for it. I rather find the Sony rather fragile feeling, even with a cover. That's why that one was my holiday reader, for in the hammock. Until I replaced it this month with the T68. It is still the best looking reader I have in my collection (PRS-650, not those cheap-ass looking and feeling newer ones...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #115
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It is still the best looking reader I have in my collection (PRS-650, not those cheap-ass looking and feeling newer ones...)
Agreed! Sony shot themselves in the foot when they went "cheap"... yes, it made the reader more affordable for the masses, but at the cost of having a plastic device..? The other month I bought a T1 for $50... I returned it within 2 weeks as it was so cheap feeling compared to my PRS-650, and to top it off, the display was crooked! After it was returned, I bought a lovely used PRS-350 instead
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #116
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Agreed! Sony shot themselves in the foot when they went "cheap"... yes, it made the reader more affordable for the masses, but at the cost of having a plastic device..? The other month I bought a T1 for $50... I returned it within 2 weeks as it was so cheap feeling compared to my PRS-650, and to top it off, the display was crooked! After it was returned, I bought a lovely used PRS-350 instead
I agree! Although a plastic case may be less expensive, the weight, feel, and extra protection of a metal case is worth the extra expense. In a related issue, when it comes to audio players I prefer a metal case for the same reason and that's why I like my iPod and my Sony Walkman players.

It was also a rule I had when considering a PDA, I would only consider a PDA that also had a protective case (preferably a metal one) available. This was important because I used to carry my Palm PDA with me in a thick metal protective case in my front pocket and after a few months the case would be dented and scratched but the PDA inside was completely undamaged despite what happened to the case.

For me, a plastic case is fine when it's a device you are not going to be carrying with you, like an alarm clock or a remote control. But for devices you carry with you, a metal case is very important.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #117
blankbook
blankbook began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
I swap between nexus 7 , nexus 5 , iphone and ipod touch (mostly for a change)
blankbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #118
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I just upgraded to the PRS-T2 with the recent $30 refurbished sale at Tiger Direct; I bought two for $60, which kills me since I bought one brand new PRS-T1 for $130 only a coupe of years ago. The devices are indistinguishable from brand new models. I have to say, I love it. I was using the PRS-T1, and I bought a Kobo Glo to try out but didn't love it; I gave it to my husband. (I would still like to try out the Aura.) My daughter had a Kobo mini, but I upgraded it to a PRS-T2 when I got mine, as an early birthday present.

The PRS-T2 screen is clearer than the previous version. I was able to find a new Sony lighted cover on Ebay for $20 (2/3 the price of the device, and most auctions were $10-$30 more expensive for the same product), and this combination is just about perfect for my needs. I only wish I could customize the home page without having to root the device; I'd like to have some features - like the Text Memos (as opposed to Notes) - available on the Home screen, and from within the document as well. It's tedious to go from the Book/Home/Applications/Text Memo/my memo, then back to Home/Book. First world problem, but the interface design on many of these devices is terrible and it makes me crazy, because there's no good reason for it.

The Kindle tablets are the worst for interface design, though - don't even get me started on the basic, Design 101 flaws in Free Time; it's abysmal. It's a moot point for my personal use, because I have come to realize that I just can't read on any tablet for more than a few minutes without having problems with my (already terrible) vision; I end up using my HDX 10.9 for recipes (no place for my laptop in our counter-space-poor kitchen), wasting time - I mean playing games, checking my email, and so on. I buy books on it, but I don't read much on it. But I gave a 7" HD to my son for his birthday, and it's a chore to make some very simple adjustments. I chose it because it was the one I could afford (as opposed to a Samsung tablet, for example) and I didn't want to spend more on something so likely to be accidentally destroyed, and I didn't know enough about the reliability of the "off" brands to choose one. But that doesn't help keep the swearing down. (And if you're interested in one, DO NOT get the 8GB version; at least half of the memory is taken up by the system.)

After all of that whining about the Kindle tablets, one thing I love is the ability to use Calibre Companion. If I could actually use the Kindle tablet as a reader, CC would be the "killer app" that renders all complaints null and void. Of course, if my PRS-T2 had a customizable home screen, customizable in-document shortcut menu, fast browser, fast page redraw, and Calibre Companion compatibility... but that's science fiction!

Edits to add: I never had a metal-body Sony, so the PRS-T1 and T2 don't feel flimsy to me. I would probably feel the same way, but the improvements in the e-ink screens since that model would probably still push me toward a newer model. (Sort of like loving a classic car but ultimately choosing something in fiberglass with bucket seats and air bags.)

My PRS-T1 held up far beyond my expectations. Not too long after I got it, I was walking while reading (note: don't), tripped over something (or nothing), and fell toward a table corner. Somehow the reader took the brunt of it, as it was pushed into the sharp corner SCREEN FIRST. (The couch potato version of falling on a grenade.) The only damage is a small (3mm?) blot on the screen that looks like a stray pencil mark - something that would cause me to return a brand-new reader, but in reality not an actual problem that measurably hinders my use of the device.

Last edited by cghipp; 07-14-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: diarhhea of the mouth
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #119
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I use a Kobo Glo.
I can't see myself getting a new Ereader until this one dies as it does everything I want an ereader to do.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #120
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Still using, and enjoying, my old JetBook Lite. I think I've used it almost daily since I got it, about 3 and a half years ago. Thank goodness for high quality, rechargeable NiMH batteries!

I have a couple of no-name Android tablets -- up to a 10 inch screen -- which do a very good job for the few occasions when I want to read a PDF (usually a magazine). I have a few apps that read PDFs and they all do a good job -- I don't really have a favorite app for that.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-book reader