Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
DJTaylor
DJTaylor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Don't want a cover when converting

I'm about to submit my ebook to Amazon, and don't want a book cover in the finished MOBI. I've created my ebook in Sigil, and when I convert it to MOBI using Calibre, it uses the front matter page as a default cover, which means the reader will see this twice. How do I do a conversion that results in the book having no cover?

Kind regards
DJTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont. Create a generic cover image and set it as the cover before doing the conversion. And note that readers dont see the cover when reading the book on a Kindle unless they explicitly ask to see it. And if you dont put in a cover, your amazon will likely generate a generic cover for your book anyway as part of the publishing process.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And you should use kindlegen to create the mobi if you plan on selling on Amazon. Or upload the EPUB -- they should convert it for you.

calibre-created mobis will either don't have the KF8 (new mobi) format or will be rejected by Amazon's upload process.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:44 AM   #4
DJTaylor

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
DJTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You dont. Create a generic cover image and set it as the cover before doing the conversion. And note that readers don't see the cover when reading the book on a Kindle unless they explicitly ask to see it. And if you dont put in a cover, your amazon will likely generate a generic cover for your book anyway as part of the publishing process.
I have a cover to upload to Amazon when I submit it, but I'm worried that the generic cover (which is a replication of the front matter page) will show twice.
Advert