Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
fill out line (line next to text)

I am trying to achieve this effect, but it doesn't really work out like I want to. No problem in Sigil and Calibre of course, but not in ADE and I want it also to work there as this gives a little more chance it will work on a reader.
The effect I am after is:

The only way I seem to make it work is via a table and ugly code. There must be something easier that is still ePUB2 compliant...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I am trying to achieve this effect, but it doesn't really work out like I want to. No problem in Sigil and Calibre of course, but not in ADE and I want it also to work there as this gives a little more chance it will work on a reader.
The effect I am after is:

The only way I seem to make it work is via a table and ugly code. There must be something easier that is still ePUB2 compliant...
The following solution works fine for me under ADE:

1. In your .css stylesheet write:

Code:
h2 {
   text-align: right;
   margin-top: -1em;
   margin-bottom: 2.5em;
   font-size: 1.4em;
   border-bottom: 2px solid;
   height: 2em;
}

.text {
   float: right;
   width: 2.25em;
   line-height: 3em;
   font-size: 1.4em;
   font-family: serif;
   background: white !important;
}

p {
   text-align: justify;
   text-indent: 0em;
}
2. In your .xhtml file write:

Code:
<h2><span class="text">1999</span></h2>

<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla ac tellus nunc. Phasellus imperdiet leo metus, et gravida lacus.</p>
This is how it looks under ADE 3.0:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	223
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	127861

Below you can check the respective epub.

Regards
Rubén
Attached Files
File Type: epub FillOut Line.epub (2.7 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 09-04-2014 at 02:46 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
background: white !important;
That's the problem I see. It will only work with white backgrounds.

But to avoid that I don't see at the moment any solution other that a table, or SVG.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The white backgrounds could be an issue, but it is elegant enough. It also works in ADE 1.7.2, which is my usual testing ground. Thanx!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The white backgrounds could be an issue, but it is elegant enough. It also works in ADE 1.7.2, which is my usual testing ground. Thanx!
You are welcome
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Also had this topic, in which I asked a similar question dealing with text in the middle, with lines on either side:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233587
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

Thank you! I do remember that topic but I was unable to find it.