Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
purcelljf
Enthusiast
purcelljf began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Image sizing for Epubs

Hi,
I am converting some Adobe pdfs to epubs. My only hand-held device for reading is an Ipod Touch with Stanza as the E-reader. I can see the day where I might want to read this epub on a different device such as an Ipad or dedicated E-reader, so I was looking for general guidelines. If anyone has a favorite link that goes in depth, I would appreciate it.

In an ideal situation I would like many of these images to resize themselves automatically based on whether I am holding the IPOD screen vertically or horizontally without spilling the image over onto another page, even though it may be hard to read them. I have an image of a map of Europe for instance that scales down to fit on one screen when I hold the IPOD vertically (albeit very small) but spills over onto another screen when I hold it horizontally. In the horizontal positions it fills the entire screen based on the width of the image but then I have to turn the page to see the bottom portion of the image.

My question is 1.) Short of resizing the image in photoshop for the specific dimensions of my device, do I have any control over these images, besides specifying a width property in CSS, to prevent them from having to be viewed on multiple pages?

Thanks.
purcelljf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcelljf View Post
Hi,
I am converting some Adobe pdfs to epubs. My only hand-held device for reading is an Ipod Touch with Stanza as the E-reader. I can see the day where I might want to read this epub on a different device such as an Ipad or dedicated E-reader, so I was looking for general guidelines. If anyone has a favorite link that goes in depth, I would appreciate it.

In an ideal situation I would like many of these images to resize themselves automatically based on whether I am holding the IPOD screen vertically or horizontally without spilling the image over onto another page, even though it may be hard to read them. I have an image of a map of Europe for instance that scales down to fit on one screen when I hold the IPOD vertically (albeit very small) but spills over onto another screen when I hold it horizontally. In the horizontal positions it fills the entire screen based on the width of the image but then I have to turn the page to see the bottom portion of the image.

My question is 1.) Short of resizing the image in photoshop for the specific dimensions of my device, do I have any control over these images, besides specifying a width property in CSS, to prevent them from having to be viewed on multiple pages?

Thanks.
You'd need to use SVG to have the images scale, but Stanza doesn't support SVG (iBooks does AFAIK).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you could do is specify a height or width property in % so it will display properly on whatever device.

100% would be for the full height or width. But on say an iPad or your computer, it may be too large. So just specify what works on the larger screens and it will be ok enough on your smaller screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, image size, image split