Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
best e-reader for boox?

When I download books I fastidiously run them through calibre and have it remove any extra vertical space between paragraphs and change the alignment to left/ragged right.

The built-in e-reader doesn't obey the "text-align: left;" css directive; it always acts like it's "text-align: justify;". The former, left, gives me a ragged right margin which is what I like. Justify makes the right margin straight, which can cause problems with the spacing between words.

Other than that the built in e-reader seems to be ok, but I've got to have my ragged right margins so I'm on the hunt for a good e-reader I can install.

Please give me your suggestions. Free or paid doesn't matter. If you had any problems with any of them that would also be good to know. Thanks.

Last edited by lumpynose; 04-26-2019 at 01:59 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
When I download books I fastidiously run them through calibre and have it remove any extra vertical space between paragraphs and change the alignment to left/ragged right.

The built-in e-reader doesn't obey the "text-align: left;" css directive; it always acts like it's "text-align: justify;". The former, left, gives me a ragged right margin which is what I like. Justify makes the right margin straight, which can cause problems with the spacing between words.

Other than that the built in e-reader seems to be ok, but I've got to have my ragged right margins so I'm on the hunt for a good e-reader I can install.

Please give me your suggestions. Free or paid doesn't matter. If you had any problems with any of them that would also be good to know. Thanks.
Moon+ Reader Pro has many, many options, including justification and night mode.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
groot
nerd
groot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshesgroot can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite, Huawei Mate 20 X
You could try changing "text-align: left;" to "text-align: left !important;". That has solved the same problem for me on some devices, but I don't remember if Neo on Onyx was one of them.
groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Moon+ Reader Pro has many, many options, including justification and night mode.
It is also one of the few which can handle furigana correctly when reading in Japanese.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Hi 'lumpynose' !

- I have exactly the same problem, with the integrated BOOX reader (Onyx_Reader 3.0) since the new update 2.1. *. Too much spacing between lines (with all my books), alignment doesn't work properly or at all.
Spoiler:

- Either I use KOBO reader or Adobe Reader.
* Adobe Reader, pulled out of another package for another reader "AdobeReader.apk" from Update package for Likebook not from "BOOX Nova Pro" (I had to improvise)

Adobe reader (the same book / ePub) everything is well displayed :
Spoiler:

Original Book :
Spoiler:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	With_Neo_Reader3.0.png
Views:	1156
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	171144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adobe_Reader_with_Nova_Pro.PNG
Views:	1067
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	171145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original_Book.PNG
Views:	1046
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	171146  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-28-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Hi 'lumpynose' !

- I have exactly the same problem, with the integrated BOOX reader (Onyx_Reader 3.0) since the new update 2.1. *. Too much spacing between lines (with all my books), alignment doesn't work properly or at all.
Spoiler:

- Either I use KOBO reader or Adobe Reader.
* Adobe Reader, pulled out of another package for another reader "AdobeReader.apk" from Update package for Likebook not from "BOOX Nova Pro" (I had to improvise)

Adobe reader (the same book / ePub) everything is well displayed :
Spoiler:

Original Book :
Spoiler:
Hey Michael,

Could you point me in the direction of that Adobe reader apk you mentioned? Would love to try it over Neoreader.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
Hey Michael,

Could you point me in the direction of that Adobe reader apk you mentioned? Would love to try it over Neoreader.
- Sorry, I don't understand you
- If you mean that AdobeReder?? :
1) I downloaded the Update.zip for Likebook
2) I open (Update.zip) "update.zip" → "system" → "app"
3) I searched for the app AdobeReader.apk (see photo)
*I then copied it to my Nova Pro and installed it.
Spoiler:

4) But, beware, I can't run it off the desktop, just "OpenWith".
Spoiler:

5) Your book → Open With → Adobe reader (not open Adobe from desktop)
Spoiler:

Voilà, AdobeReadr from Likebook → Nova Pro :
Spoiler:

PS !! :
But before that, I had to download several different Update.zip (for more Likebook devices) and test several versions of AdobreReader before I found one that works.
*Even so, it only works at 90%, sometimes it stops working, but in my case it is completely usable and I am personally satisfied.
So at your own risk!

I also installed FBreader.apk from Likebook → Nova Pro (work fine) :-)
Buy a "Nova Pro" to use another manufacturer's software (FBreader from Likebook) ,,, crazy no ?
Spoiler:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Likebook_apk_install_NovaPro.png
Views:	1017
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	171148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Likebook_apk_install_to_Nova_Pro.png
Views:	972
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	171151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova_open_with_AdobeReader_from_Likebook.png
Views:	952
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	171152   Click image for larger version

Name:	AdobeReader.PNG
Views:	979
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	171153   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBreader_apk_from_likebook_to_Nova_Pro.PNG
Views:	947
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	171154  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-28-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
trence
Connoisseur

Quote:
- Sorry, I don't understand you
- If you mean that AdobeReder?? :
1) I downloaded the Update.zip for Likebook
2) I open (Update.zip) "update.zip" → "system" → "app"
3) I searched for the app AdobeReader.apk (see photo)
*I then copied it to my Nova Pro and installed it.
Spoiler:

4) But, beware, I can't run it off the desktop, just "OpenWith".
Spoiler:

5) Your book → Open With → Adobe reader (not open Adobe from desktop)
Spoiler:

Voilà, AdobeReadr from Likebook → Nova Pro :
Spoiler:

PS !! :
But before that, I had to download several different Update.zip (for more Likebook devices) and test several versions of AdobreReader before I found one that works.
*Even so, it only works at 90%, sometimes it stops working, but in my case it is completely usable and I am personally satisfied.
So at your own risk!

I also installed FBreader.apk from Likebook → Nova Pro (work) :-)
Spoiler:
Thanks for the reply, Michael. Could you link to the update.zip file you downloaded? I have tried with Likebook Plus FW

v1.0.1-2017111118
------------------------------
v1.0.2-2018010215

Both times I install AdobeReader.apk, and try to open with, it crashes. Even just the update version you are using would be appreciated, and I can search from there.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Both times I install AdobeReader.apk, and try to open with, it crashes

- I'm not sure, but I think it was : from Firmware FW_V2.0 or V1.0.1 for Likebook T80S
* You're not exactly jysty, it's my sorry.

- I had the same problem before finding the right version.
- It wants patience and find the right one

TiP ~ Also, try turning your device off and on.
Don't forget to open book with "OpenWith", not directly from the desktop!
* From the desktop I have a DMR error something....

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-28-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
trence
Connoisseur

2.0 doesn't contain the AdobeReader file like the 1.x. Well am I stumped, Moonreader it is , I guess.

If anyone happens upon the correct file and is so inclined to link it, would be much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
2.0 doesn't contain the AdobeReader file like the 1.x. Well am I stumped, Moonreader it is , I guess.

If anyone happens upon the correct file and is so inclined to link it, would be much appreciated.
Try this : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1556477716
I have AdobeReader 1.0 if anything helps you.
* Don't forget "OFF/ON" your Nova, before you open (first startup) AdobeReader.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AdobeReader.zip (5.72 MB, 123 views)

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-28-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
trence
Connoisseur

Quote:
Try this : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1556477716
I have AdobeReader 1.0 if anything helps you.
* Don't forget OFF/ON you Nova, before you open (for first startup) AdobeReader.
Very odd, still crashes on mine. I also wasn't able to install the recent Chinese update, only once English version was released would update work. I wonder if this is another of those oddities.

Michael,

Appreciate your time on this today.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Michal you're such a hacker! I love it. A man after my own heart.

Your solution makes me wonder, is AdobeReader.apk the Adobe Acrobat Reader? That doesn't seem likely since I thought Acrobat Reader only opens pdf/acrobat files. I tried opening an epub file with Acrobat Reader on my pc and it would not.

And that made me wonder, what about Adobe Digital Editions? I tried using the Google Play store but it complains that this isn't a verified google device. I'm on the 2.1.1 update. So now I've discovered that my Boox is some sort of bogus half-baked Android device.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
And that made me wonder, what about Adobe Digital Editions? I tried using the Google Play store but it complains that this isn't a verified google device. I'm on the 2.1.1 update. So now I've discovered that my Boox is some sort of bogus half-baked Android device.
I don't know what was wrong with Google Play but disabling it and enabling it made me go through a somewhat painful process of validating it and now it's working. It may have been due to my not paying attention to what's on the screen; it may have been updating apps but the text saying that was very faint.

One of the things that I've come to painfully realize is that Android wasn't designed for these e-ink devices because it and the apps make the assumption that the device can display colors.

In any event, Adobe Digital Editions doesn't seem able to open arbitrary epub files, only ones that I've downloaded from my library? Is that right?

And when I long click on a book in the library and select Open With, the only available option is Neo, even though I have both Moon+ and Adobe Digital Editions installed.

At this point I can't say that I feel like this was money well spent.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
I don't get any options to sort the books? They're in random order. It's just showing me the contents of /sdcard/Books.

Also the background on the pages is grey which is very annoying.

And I have a hard time getting out of the last book to the library listing; it keeps opening some random web page when I click the back arrow. Although lately it hasn't been doing that.

It seems that there are icons at the top of the screen? There's space up there and randomly tapping up there selects them; for example at the far left I get the Options thing.

Last edited by lumpynose; 04-29-2019 at 12:59 PM.