Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have exactly the same problem if I just sit down at home and try to listen to an audiobook, but I find them great for listening to in the car while I'm driving - they really help to maintain my concentration on a long journey.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I don't drive HarryT! What am I going to do now?
J/k, I think I will get used to it.

Thanks everyone for recommendations and those wonderful links.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I don't drive HarryT! What am I going to do now?
Learn to drive!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Learn to drive!
Lol, I know how to do that.
I don't have a car. I'm a student in foreign country. It's bit complicated.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I also listen to audiobooks when I go out walking. Many people find them good at the gym, too.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
They are also great when you have to do household chores like ironing. I always listen to books or podcasts while I cook, too.

Concerning the wandering concentration thing: for me it was a question of training and it took me a while to get used to audiobooks. I need to concentrate more when I listen to English books (which is about 90% of my listening), and it's a bit easier when I listen to books in German. So don't give up, it will get better.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Neverwhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I never used these, so I'm bit apprehensive about them, but I like to try new things so here is a task for any willing to make a recommendation.

I would prefer a shorter book, in the case I won't like it.
Genre wise, please make it either a fantasy, sci-fi or classic. No romance or YA please.

Additional note: if the author is British, I would like the voice actor to be British.

Thank you.
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, read beautifully by the author.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, read beautifully by the author.
See this thread:

Neverwhere on BBC Radio 4
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Might I suggest the Sharon Lee and Steve Miller Liaden Universe series? Excellent SF, well read, and you can try out the first book in each sequence by downloading the free intro from Audible.com. I'd suggest starting with Agent of Change. It's not the first book chronologically, but it is the first book written and it makes a good entry point to the series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I second the Liaden suggestion!

Try listening to the audiobooks at night, before going to sleep. Your eyes are closed and there is less distraction. You'll develop improve your listening skills so that you'll be able to listen in other situations. But it is best to use audiobooks when you are doing a solitary task, especially a repetitive one. They are good when driving or traveling or walking.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading at night like that is a sure way to put me to sleep, I'm afraid. but reading while driving or walking or swimming is a perfect way to enjoy them for me.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I don't listen to many audiobooks, but I have, and LOVE, The Screwtape Letters, as read by John Cleese. Mine is old and on cassette, but it's got to be available somewhere out there.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I don't listen to many audiobooks, but I have, and LOVE, The Screwtape Letters, as read by John Cleese. Mine is old and on cassette, but it's got to be available somewhere out there.
John Cleese read the Screwtape letters!?! Want!

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 03-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Audible has two versions of the Screwtape Letters, but not the Cleese one. I suspect from the description that his version may have been for BooksOnTape. In which case, it probably can't be found for anything resembling a reasonable price, given the gutting that was done to BOT when they were bought out.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Audible has two versions of the Screwtape Letters, but not the Cleese one. I suspect from the description that his version may have been for BooksOnTape. In which case, it probably can't be found for anything resembling a reasonable price, given the gutting that was done to BOT when they were bought out.
And I'm wrong. An abridged version is here: http://www.learnoutloud.com/Catalog/...e-Letters/3685.