Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
And the shy?

How are they classified?

Always introverts?

A person may be shy in new company, but boisterous and 'themselves' in known company.
If you google for the Myers-Briggs test, you'll find a simple explanation of what it means to be introverted and extroverted. Introverts are often shy, but not necessarily so. It has more to do with where one finds stimulation. Introverts look internally, extroverts look externally. As such, it's no surprize that heavy readers are often introverts.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #17
Silmarillion
Nameless Being

An extrovert recharges his "batteries" by being with other people. An introvert recharges his "batteries" by spending time alone.

Introverts can love spending time with people, and extroverts can love spending time alone. Introverts can be outgoing, and extroverts can be shy. It's all about energy.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
And about ways of thinking and processing input as I understand
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarillion View Post
An introverted friend recently linked me to a brief YouTube video based on this book, when attempting to explain introverted behaviour to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1kEN_ZPNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
They interviewed her on All Things Considered last year.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/30/145930...-of-introverts
Ted Talk by the Author:

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #20
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Kenny are you informing us that you're introverted?

It's a cuirous conundrum if you are ...... 29,231 posts since Sep 2009 .....
Absolutely.

Many forum/internet participants are. It provides a means of interacting while maintaining solitude.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #21
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Absolutely.

Many forum/internet participants are. It provides a means of interacting while maintaining solitude.
Yep! Agree! For me I also have a job where I have to interact a lot with people face to face. I do it well (or so I'm told), but I'm still an introvert, given a choice. A pretty extreme one, at that!
I suspect there's a bunch of us here at MR!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Absolutely.

In real life I'm social at the bare minimum for daily existence. I like message boards because they allow me a measure of control over my social interactions. If I don't feel like 'talking' I can drop off the grid for awhile, no harm no foul.

Thankfully my friends also have a laid back attitude towards socializing so it's not unusual for a month or so to go by without even an email, yet we're able to pick up exactly where we left off.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
The paperback comes out in 6 days so I'm hoping the Kindle version drops below $9.99. The wife and I both want to read this.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I am very extroverted, but I wonder if heavy readers might more often be introverted? That might partly explain why this forum is weighted toward introverts.

My husband is as introverted as I am extroverted, and he has found that it is a problem in US business culture to be quiet and reserved for sure. I am interested in this book and will have to keep an eye on it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm having a party... and I'm only inviting all my fabulously interesting introverted friends. They'll be fighting for invites among the elite introverted social circles. Maybe I'll see you there!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
In real life I'm social at the bare minimum for daily existence. I like message boards because they allow me a measure of control over my social interactions. If I don't feel like 'talking' I can drop off the grid for awhile, no harm no foul.
Exactly. The way written discussions work they allow off time for digesting, making conclusions and thoughtfully composition of answers. content matters. In contrary to that in RL you are repeatedly forced to listen to speedomoronian; or even worse: read its written form: powerpointese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I am very extroverted, but I wonder if heavy readers might more often be introverted? That might partly explain why this forum is weighted toward introverts.

My husband is as introverted as I am extroverted, and he has found that it is a problem in US business culture to be quiet and reserved for sure. I am interested in this book and will have to keep an eye on it.
As far as I can see the book is balm for your hubbies nerves.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Silmarillion
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And about ways of thinking and processing input as I understand
This has nothing to do with introversion or extroversion, which relates only to "energy" in social situations. If you go by the (completely nonsese) MBTI, thinking and processing input relate to the other three options.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #28
Silmarillion
Nameless Being

Quote:
Absolutely.

Extroverts tend to post less overall, too.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like the Myers-Briggs measurement (I'm an INTJ). It is a useful grouping or pigeon-holing when it comes to communication styles at work.

And +1 for Silmarillion's way to define intro versus extro. It is all about the energy. I may enjoy myself at a party but I'm bleeding energy.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarillion View Post
An extrovert recharges his "batteries" by being with other people. An introvert recharges his "batteries" by spending time alone.

Introverts can love spending time with people, and extroverts can love spending time alone. Introverts can be outgoing, and extroverts can be shy. It's all about energy.
Um no it's not 'All about energy' it's about behavior, social interaction and internal approach to interacting to others in social settings.