Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Looking for a public domain font for embedding into books

I'm looking for a public domain font for embedding into epubs.

I'm looking for an old-style looking serif-type font for use with gothic horror stories like those from Edgar Allen Poe.

Anyone got any ideas of a good one?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I'm looking for a public domain font for embedding into epubs.

I'm looking for an old-style looking serif-type font for use with gothic horror stories like those from Edgar Allen Poe.

Anyone got any ideas of a good one?
Can you name any proprietary fonts that are similar to what you're looking for? Not sure what "old-style" means.

(And there aren't likely to be any "public domain" fonts, although "free, open-source, creative commons" are all possible. Copyright is going to apply to any computer font unless the creator has specifically released it.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are a few examples of fonts that I found on my PC:

Baskerville
Monotype Corsiva
Old English Text MT

Essentially I'm looking for fonts that would not look out of place in a book written in the 19th centry or older to give a bit more atmospere to the stories. I just don't see fonts like Arial or Verdana and other sans-serif fonts being able to provide this.

As to what I mean about "public domain", I just looking for fonts that I do not need to get specific permission to use, or fonts that I might need to encrypt in the epub itself as I'm trying to avoid the hassle of doing this.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Here's a listing of Fonts that carry the GNU public license, which as close to public domain as you're going to get, and can be freely distributed, embedded or even altered.

You may be particularly interested in Baskervald and Isabella.

I'll look for some others when I get a chance.

EDIT: Looking again, it looks like a lot of the other font licenses listed at that website are also free-use licenses of some sort or another. Browse around (I am). They don't make it terribly obvious how to download the fonts, even if you register, so you might just find a font you like, then google it to find its own website, and download link.

Last edited by frabjous; 12-04-2009 at 11:33 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru

Thanks frabjous, those two fonts you pointed out look like they could be very usefull for my needs.

And you're right, downloading doesn't appear that straight-forward. I think I'll start hunting for the authors sites.
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yeah, it looks like there's often a link to the font's homepage listed under "More Information" on that site. (At least if you're registered.)

You might want to check out Zenda there too.

When poking around there yesterday, I discovered OFL Sorts Mill Goudy, which I absolutely love. It would become my favorite font, if only I could get it to work properly with XeLaTeX and Adobe Reader. (The PDFs produced by XeLaTeX for it look good on other PDF software, just not Adobe's... )
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote