Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
WAP version?

I think a version for mobile devices (WAP) would be nice.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is a version of the site especially formatted for mobile devices at:

http://www.mobileread.mobi

but really, I think that "WAP" has died a death, don't you? I've not really heard anyone mention it for years; most mobile devices have very capable web browsers these days - all that one really needs are pages formatted for small screens, such as the .mobi site provides.

Take a look at it and see what you think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is a version of the site especially formatted for mobile devices at:

http://www.mobileread.mobi

but really, I think that "WAP" has died a death, don't you? I've not really heard anyone mention it for years; most mobile devices have very capable web browsers these days - all that one really needs are pages formatted for small screens, such as the .mobi site provides.

Take a look at it and see what you think.
In fact even the regular site works perfectly fine on my 6800.

I do wish some of the other sites I visit had a WAP (or at least a simplified) version though. Specifically those that rely heavily on AJAX, which simply doesn't work right in IE mobile.

Last edited by Dylrob; 07-19-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I disagree, I still use WAP sites a lot, since I do not have unlimited internet for my mobile phone. Sometimes you just want to check up on something, without paying through your nose on your phone plan! Of course, when I am on WiFi I always use the regular sites (no specially formatted ones), it is a question of cost, not of the phones' capabilities.

And Dylrub -- since you are using WM, try SkyFire, it can do absolutely everything a regular browser can, even every form of internet video.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And Dylrub -- since you are using WM, try SkyFire, it can do absolutely everything a regular browser can, even every form of internet video.
Neat, thanks! The page pieces load a bit slow on my EVDO connection (it might help if my 6800 supported Rev.A), but is like a dream on WiFi.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually I was looking for a mobile version of the mobileread site and did a search for mobile version and wap. The first resulted in nothing I could see of help, the 2nd resulted in this thread. And now because of this thread I have found a mobile friendly version of these sites that I otherwise couldn't find.

Also, as another poster indicated, I also prefer mobile friendly sites a lot of the time because they load faster and still have what I'm looking for.

Thanks to the OP for this post.
French is offline   Reply With Quote