Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
adept drm for epub on the iphone

Hi,

is there yet any solution to read adept drm protected epub books on the iPhone? I read that Stanza was going to support it soon, but that news is from the beginning of the year and before Amazon bought it.

Any alternatives? I mean theres an app for just about anything... on your iPhone ;-)
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Remove the DRM:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
and is there something if I dont want to remove it?
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
A few months ago, February IIRC, Lexcycle announced that Stanza would be able to read DRM'd ePub and PDF soon, but I don't think they've added it yet. Might want to check their forums for info.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Unfortunately, the problem with Adept is it needs to be licensed. I don't think someone who's just coding an app for fun will go through the trouble of licensing the DRM. As of now, I am not aware of any iPhone app in the iTunes store that supports Adobe DRM. You might be able to find one if you jailbreak your iPhone, but I find that unlikely. I think the probability is high that someone coding apps for jailbroken iPhones and happens to be interested in ebooks would have no qualms removing DRM from epubs.

We can only hope Lexcycle/Amazon does not renege on its promise to include Adobe DRM support in Stanza.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon bought Lexcycle. So you can kiss support for ePub with DRM goodbye.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As predicted, Lexcycle has confirmed that it will not be supporting Adobe DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As predicted, Lexcycle has confirmed that it will not be supporting Adobe DRM.
Ow. Understandable, but OW nonetheless.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippd View Post
and is there something if I dont want to remove it?
It's probably not what you were thinking about but when you buy ePub books from ShortCovers you can get their App from the Apple Store. I've started doing this: I download the ePub book to read on my Pocket Pro or Sony 505, and if it's something I want to put in my pocket to easily take along with me I use the ShortCovers app to download it through Wifi to the iPod Touch.

The system works well, although I don't think the iPod version is an ePub file so it isn't really what you were asking about.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
It's probably not what you were thinking about but when you buy ePub books from ShortCovers you can get their App from the Apple Store. I've started doing this: I download the ePub book to read on my Pocket Pro or Sony 505, and if it's something I want to put in my pocket to easily take along with me I use the ShortCovers app to download it through Wifi to the iPod Touch.

The system works well, although I don't think the iPod version is an ePub file so it isn't really what you were asking about.
I think it is ePub, same as the Stanza books. The DRM seems not to be the same as the ADEPT books however!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stanza was supposed to support Adobe's DRM for ePub. But then Amazon bought Stanza and I think they've squashed those plans.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
doog_smith
doog_smith doesn't litterdoog_smith doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Anybody try using the nook app to do this?

I was wondering if anybody tried using the nook app on the iPhone/iPod touch to read Adobe DRM-protected ePub files downloaded from a public library's Overdrive system.
doog_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog_smith View Post
I was wondering if anybody tried using the nook app on the iPhone/iPod touch to read Adobe DRM-protected ePub files downloaded from a public library's Overdrive system.
AFAIK the B&N app only reads eReader books, not ePub. B&N hasn't switched to ePub yet from what I can tell.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Just an I'm trying to understand this question.....

I often buy Adobe Digital Editions ePub books from Shortcovers and I recently downloaded the Shortcovers App for my iPhone. What format is that Shortcovers APP using if not ePub? I know it probably isn't ADE because I assume I'd have to register my iPhone with Adobe - correct?

So what kind of files are going onto my iPhone? (hope that makes sense)
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Just an I'm trying to understand this question.....

I often buy Adobe Digital Editions ePub books from Shortcovers and I recently downloaded the Shortcovers App for my iPhone. What format is that Shortcovers APP using if not ePub? I know it probably isn't ADE because I assume I'd have to register my iPhone with Adobe - correct?

So what kind of files are going onto my iPhone? (hope that makes sense)
They are ePubs, just like most of the Stanza books (Stanza can read eReasder books, too), but Shortcovers has a special DRM method that's used for the iPhone!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote